New graphene Gaelforce rods

ibm59

Reaction score
Following on from Ard , is anyone familiar with the Destination 13’9" 7/8 ?

Handel

Reaction score
Sorry, I have the 8/9. If you look on the Gaelforce website you will see there are no reviews of the 7/8 but several of the 8/9. As I recall this is because the 7/8 was a late addition to the collection and there are just more 8/9s out there.

JACK POWER

Reaction score
My favourite rod of all time, its a wolf in sheep's clothing, brilliant with 39 gram to 42 gram shooting heads.
Will handle a 550 grain skagit with tapered 15 foot spey tips 9 to 11 grams.

Amazing with a next cast zone 500 grain and Gaelforce 15 foot tips. It's light powerful, but needs a heavier line it's closer to a 9/10 in power rating imho.

It will leave you questioning if you ever. Need a longer rod it's that good

Yes, JP a really wonderful rod though I use Nextcast Zone 550 grain on it plus a tip and it's a joy ...

Spey Salar

Reaction score
Regarding the 13'9" 7/8, I can't do a proper review as I personally haven't cast the rod. However, my friend used his on a salmon trip and from watching him cast I can say it certainly looks like that rod is as fine as any other Destination. I have the 8/9 in that length and found it excellent.

Rockpool

Reaction score
According to a post on Spey Pages this is the Graphene G+ range:

Destination + (6-piece)
15'1" 10/11
14'6" 9/10
13'9" 8/9
12'9" 8/9
12'9" 7/8
11'3" 7/8 Switch

Equaliser + (4-piece)
15' 10
14'6" 9/10
14' 9/10
13'6" 9
13' 8/9
11'3" 7/8 Switch.

I've been eyeing up a 14'6" 9/10 for a wee while and had some sound advice on here that the Destination was the one to go for as it had a bit more power than the Equaliser. Will be interesting to hear how that difference carries through to the G+ and how they relate to the regular range when people get to try them out.

Salad Dodger

Reaction score
If you go to the Gaelforce website and type Graphene into the search bar, you get the models and prices up.

I’m looking forward to some reviews as I’ve got a serious itchy trigger finger wanting to buy one.

Salad Dodger

Reaction score
I see the Gaelforce website has had a refresh along with the new G+ rods (coming soon)

When is the question???

JoeE

Reaction score
I had a throw of the 14ft 9/10 last weekend, lovely rod but felt just like a Bruce and Walker. Even the handle was similar to B&W

Scierra

Reaction score
For those who can't be bothered, they are priced at £999 to £1300 o_Oo_Oo_O
:eek: just another fad , for some to have the latest Graphene rods, like having a new car
I have heard of quite a few breakages on graphene rods but not Gaelforce rods ? as I have yet to see an angler fishing with one ?

Carbon/Graphite rod swill always be prone to breakages, same goes for graphene,

Last edited:

Tangled

Reaction score
I'd wait awhile before buying anything with the word 'graphene' in the marketing.

“CTS investigated graphene as an additive to our resin system some years ago. We found no evidence that adding graphene nanopowder to the epoxy resin improved any of the characteristics we were looking for in a material for fishing rods.

Conversely, we found evidence that adding more than 10% nanopowder to the epoxy matrix, increases its brittleness. In a fishing rod we rely on toughened epoxy resin systems to distribute impact shocks, protect the laminate and support the fiber in compression.

We concluded that adding a bit of graphene to our resins might be good for the marketing department and our ability to sell a higher priced product, but marginally detrimental to performance.”
CTS Fishing

https://ctsfishing.com/spotlight-on-materials-the-lowdown-on-graphene/

It'll come, but I wouldn't buy a Mark 1.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
I'd wait awhile before buying anything with the word 'graphene' in the marketing.

“CTS investigated graphene as an additive to our resin system some years ago. We found no evidence that adding graphene nanopowder to the epoxy resin improved any of the characteristics we were looking for in a material for fishing rods.

Conversely, we found evidence that adding more than 10% nanopowder to the epoxy matrix, increases its brittleness. In a fishing rod we rely on toughened epoxy resin systems to distribute impact shocks, protect the laminate and support the fiber in compression.

We concluded that adding a bit of graphene to our resins might be good for the marketing department and our ability to sell a higher priced product, but marginally detrimental to performance.”
CTS Fishing

https://ctsfishing.com/spotlight-on-materials-the-lowdown-on-graphene/

It'll come, but I wouldn't buy a Mark 1.
It looks to me as if light weight has been taken too far in the design of modern rod blanks. Especially for serious work on major rivers.

As I can still manage older designs I’ll stay with thick-wall spigoted joints which have never let me down. Even lifetime guarantees would not persuade me to pay more than £300 for a salmon fly rod. AG

Hoddom

Reaction score
Ive never tried a galeforce rod. Not sure I've ever seen one tbh.
What makes them so deliciously yummy guys?
Im not a tackle tart you understand. But, well, it is my birthday soon, I do have a 20% off voucher for a tackle shop and I did win the premium bond this month (sure, only £75 but a wins a win right?)

May favorite rod is a hardy Zenith, any similarities to that? (as far as you can ever compare rods).

Salad Dodger

Reaction score
I had a throw of the 14ft 9/10 last weekend, lovely rod but felt just like a Bruce and Walker. Even the handle was similar to B&W
Have you cast the same “non graphene” rod?

I have never cast a Gaelforce rod or a B&W one, I have cast a few Michael Evans Arrowhead rods which I have been told are similar in action to the B&W ones, albeit, older models.

rs2ford

Reaction score
Ive never tried a galeforce rod. Not sure I've ever seen one tbh.
What makes them so deliciously yummy guys?
Im not a tackle tart you understand. But, well, it is my birthday soon, I do have a 20% off voucher for a tackle shop and I did win the premium bond this month (sure, only £75 but a wins a win right?)

May favorite rod is a hardy Zenith, any similarities to that? (as far as you can ever compare rods).
For me it's the way they match perfectly with the Gaelforce lines, which are possibly the best on the market, and the 6 piece for easy storage. The finish on them is sublime also.
I also like Bruce and Walker rods and they are not too dissimilar in performance, where they cast Spey lines, heads and skagits really well.

Cheers Diarmid.

Hoddom

Reaction score
For me it's the way they match perfectly with the Gaelforce lines, which are possibly the best on the market, and the 6 piece for easy storage. The finish on them is sublime also.
I also like Bruce and Walker rods and they are not too dissimilar in performance, where they cast Spey lines, heads and skagits really well.

Cheers Diarmid.
Anything like the old B&W Norway?

JoeE

Reaction score
Have you cast the same “non graphene” rod?

I have never cast a Gaelforce rod or a B&W one, I have cast a few Michael Evans Arrowhead rods which I have been told are similar in action to the B&W ones, albeit, older models.

Sorry I should of said it was the current one not the new one. Still nice, not sure how this graphene will fair out, could be another fad

christian roulleau

Reaction score
I also think that the plus of the gaelforce rods is the perfect match with its lines; a bit like the zpey and its lines at the time.

keirstream

Reaction score
:eek: just another fad , for some to have the latest Graphene rods, like having a new car
I have heard of quite a few breakages on graphene rods but not Gaelforce rods ? as I have yet to see an angler fishing with one ?
Fad or not, you are not likely to see another angler with one before May.
Not even in the country yet. :)
Plenty of forward orders to service though.(y)

Henke

Reaction score
I also think that the plus of the gaelforce rods is the perfect match with its lines; a bit like the zpey and its lines at the time.
Agree - but as a general rule I think most tackle-makers make sure, that their rods match their own lines ....etc. Brand A's 14' 9/10 will work perfectly with Brand A's line i 9/10 and visa versa.....
But we like to combine things..and then we have to find the right match between different manufacturer/companies...so when choosing a line from Company B - we might need a 8/9, 10/11 or even 11/12 to match the rods from A.
But as years go by - experience helps a lot and we get to know each companies rods and lines - so we easily can combine and make a (perfect) match.