New From North America Video;

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Ard, great footage. One thing that really surprised me is the size of some of the rocks they are spawning in. Over here, our migratory sea trout and salmon tend to spawn in a much smaller gravel substrate.

Out of interest, do you find non migratory rainbow trout in the same river systems as the ones that steelhead spawn and can the offspring become either rainbow trout or steelhead, just like our brown trout?

luney

Reaction score
Your on my bucket list Ard, would love to get to North America and fish for all migratory fish. The Steelhead look stunning fish and fair lumps too👍 thanks for sharing
Paul

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello to you both,

The video was not produced by me, it was posted by a member of the American forum. Here in Alaska we have both the ocean going rainbow trout and the more specific steelhead trout. There's an ongoing dogma over what is and is not a steelhead but I consider any trout I catch in waters flowing directly into the ocean to be candidates for steelhead designation. Once they get to 2 foot long and 5 to 10 pounds they are all steelhead to me ;)

Most of the sea run trout I've seen on the beds here seem to like finer gravel that those in the video were about to use. The video fish are lake / loch run fish. They do not go to sea but grow in the Great Lakes systems and then return to natal streams. Up here everything but the graylings can go to sea if they wish, trout and char alike.