New boots for 2021

Rrrr

Reaction score
I tend to switch between felt and vibram depending on where im fishing. On the coquet felt is a bad idea as theres alot of muddy banks to traverse.
On the tyne i prefer felt as the wadings quite arkward with big smooth stones.

Its a shame no one does a really good combi sole with the best of both worlds.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

gweb

Reaction score
I tend to switch between felt and vibram depending on where im fishing. On the coquet felt is a bad idea as theres alot of muddy banks to traverse.
On the tyne i prefer felt as the wadings quite arkward with big smooth stones.

Its a shame no one does a really good combi sole with the best of both worlds.

I had a pair of cheap bootfoot neoprene's once, that had felt on the sole and rubber tread on the heel. The felt was ok for slimy rocks and the heel dug in on the muddy tracks. Unfortunately they didn't last long the rubber perished and cracked on the boots after two seasons.
But you're right. It was pretty much the best of both worlds.

Rrrr

Reaction score
I had a pair of cheap bootfoot neoprene's once, that had felt on the sole and rubber tread on the heel. The felt was ok for slimy rocks and the heel dug in on the muddy tracks. Unfortunately they didn't last long the rubber perished and cracked on the boots after two seasons.
But you're right. It was pretty much the best of both worlds.
I had the same years ago, think mine were john norris neoprenes.

bankwheel

Reaction score
I like both soles, felt for the summer when rocks are slimey but for all other times it’s rubber and studs. Ha try wearing felt soles when there is snow on the ground and you will grow 4”. Dangerous for bank fishing but good on slippery stones. I have a 2 x Simms and 2 x Patagonia boots both excellent, need to sell one pair of Patagonia boots as they are too big

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
Okay so let's take a page out of the bass fishers diary and see what pitfalls there are.
Being an all-round angler and coach I always look at different aspects of angling equipment and all the essential clobber that goes with it.
So what do we pay for a decent pair of wading boots £100 £150 £200+
I will admit that I have a pair of orvis pro boots which are great I have to say but I keep those for my breathable orvis pro waders.
Winter comes along and I get out the neoprenes for the grayling fishing and do the orvis boots come out. Nope I have s £20 pair of Dunlop work boots coupled with a set of studs.
Now I can throw these away every spring and buy new ones for 10 years before I get anywhere near the cost of the orvis ones.
I have used them for a couple of years now and are still showing no signs of wear.
It might be the Scotsman shining through here but like all forms of clothing we get ripped off for a name and alot of the tackle tarts among us just pay up.
My penneth worth for a Sunday morning.

meyre

Reaction score
Felt ideal on a billiard table. Vibram needs nails. if you want to stay up all day and all night it's got to be aloominum as my friends in Oregon call it with those nifty studs for racing 'bikes on ice. Patagonia + nails then.

madcaster

Reaction score
My G3's fell to bits so I saw some headwater in vibram sole and fished the upper tweed nearing the end of the season ! The ghilly who is on here p1ssed himself laughing as I skated down the 1st pool !
Wore them for two days like egg on legs thank god I had a staff,
I've put studs in them now and will use them for boats and banks as ive just bought the same in felt and the boa..system, thanks for catching up fishing world all my golf shoes are boa and they are amazing but I will have to put a few studs in there as its a bit sh1t falling on your rod or worse,
Do like the sound of one of each 😂
I'd have a spare pair too 😊

MADCASTER

Loxie

Reaction score
Fishing the Ure involves plenty of walking, including some steep slopes, so felt is out of the question, even though it would be a good choice for the wading conditions.
My current boots are the Vision Musta with the Michelin soles, into which I've screwed 14 tungsten studs per boot in the pre-formed points. They provide excellent underwater grip and are extremely comfortable over long distances: probably the best boots I've ever had, although it's too soon to know their durability. The add-in tungstens work better than Vision's previous generation embedded point studs.
Are they true to size or do you need a size bigger than your shoe size?

kimbo

Reaction score
Bought a pair of Dunlop all leather safety boots as tested by Henry Gilbey, done 2 seasons now and next year will be my third.
No complaints and at £26 what's not to like, only use my Simms now if I need felt soles

Daventus

Reaction score
Conspiracy theory number 33 finding a pair of breathable waders that don’t leak after one outing.
If you find some let me know.Ive had 2 pair scierra both leaked around the right foot after 3/4 times.3 pair Hodgeman H3 all leaked like the Titanic around the crotch after 2/3 times and a cheap pair from China lasted half a season.

budge

Reaction score
If you find some let me know.Ive had 2 pair scierra both leaked around the right foot after 3/4 times.3 pair Hodgeman H3 all leaked like the Titanic around the crotch after 2/3 times and a cheap pair from China lasted half a season.
Diver Dave vision Icons, 3 hard seasons and still going. Only leaks I've had are self inflicted plus a couple where the waders have creased and rubbed thin on the legs. None of the seams have leaked at all. Will definitely be ordering my next pair from him but not Icons as they're discontinued.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Andrew B

Reaction score
I’ve had problems with Snowbee Waders. Didn’t matter the cost and after just a few outings you’d get that all too familiar cold feeling. I can see why so many Ghillies go with Ocean waders?

Loxie

Reaction score
I’ve had problems with Snowbee Waders. Didn’t matter the cost and after just a few outings you’d get that all too familiar cold feeling. I can see why so many Ghillies go with Ocean waders?
Ocean are brilliant if you don't have to walk in them but they are also vulnerable to barbed wire etc.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Got sick of leaking breathables and bought oceans mid way through last season. Abit warm on long walks and the lack of pockets is about the only down side ive found.

Loxie

Reaction score
Got sick of leaking breathables and bought oceans mid way through last season. Abit warm on long walks and the lack of pockets is about the only down side ive found.

We survived for many years with nothing else!

Rrrr

Reaction score
We survived for many years with nothing else!
I was suprised how light the boots feel on long walks between pools. Im so used to having soaked boots and neoprene socks that weigh a ton.
Also 30 seconds to take them on and off is great.