New 14'SageX or 14' Method ??????

rs2ford

Reaction score
That is a very generous offer but unfortunately I live in North London. I am happy to take a risk based on your experience especially as you like the 15ft one. I will look for a deal in the New Year ready for a trip to the Dee in March

Hope you get a good deal Neil.
Cheers Diarmid.

bankwheel

Reaction score
Had a wee cast with Conhead's 15'Sage X today, we lined it up with a Gaelforce 9/10 54'Spey line, now this is not my normal type of rod but it was fantastic, to hear comments about them being soft or collapsing as you apply power is garbage, I preferred it to the method which requires a bit of good timing. This is a super light rod with good amounts of power when required. There really is some rubbish written on this forum

paddymc

Reaction score
Had a wee cast with Conhead's 15'Sage X today, we lined it up with a Gaelforce 9/10 54'Spey line, now this is not my normal type of rod but it was fantastic, to hear comments about them being soft or collapsing as you apply power is garbage, I preferred it to the method which requires a bit of good timing. This is a super light rod with good amounts of power when required. There really is some rubbish written on this forum

I’m not sure that a 38g, 54’ speyline could be consisered much of a test of the power of a 15’, 10wt doublehander. Did you try any other lines on it ?

bankwheel

Reaction score
I’m not sure that a 38g, 54’ speyline could be consisered much of a test of the power of a 15’, 10wt doublehander. Did you try any other lines on it ?

No and I didn't need to, this rod would handle much heavier lines but the 9/10 gave the rod a lovely crispness but when you gave to the beans and loaded the rod it delivered flawlessly

paddymc

Reaction score
No and I didn't need to, this rod would handle much heavier lines but the 9/10 gave the rod a lovely crispness but when you gave to the beans and loaded the rod it delivered flawlessly

I would be expecting it to deliver that way with the heavier line on it.

Neil W

Reaction score
Having now acquired the 14’ 9wt X I gave it a work out on the Deelast week. Conditions were truly awful with a fierce, biting up river wind so not the best testing conditions.
Due to the strong winds used an airflo skagit compact 630 and it was a really nice combination. Coped as well as could be expected in that wind. It could definitely take more weight but the 630 suited my casting.
So far I would say it’s a very nice rod and looking forward to trying a scandi on it

SpeyJon

Reaction score
Sage X 10’ #7

In my view I owned a Sage One sold it & bought a Sage Method from one of the Lads on this Forum delighted with the Sage Method. I then ordered a Sage X 14' for a 9weight picked it up had a few dry casts & thought to myself am I mad buying a Rod in my view which is very similar to the Method, It all depends what you want really? but I think long and hard about forking out £900 & you could pick up a pristine Method or Sage One for nearly 1/2 of the price of an X.

Saying that I did buy a Sage X 10' for a 7weight some action for a single hander.

You wont be dissapointed either way. (Method or X)

How are you liking the X 10’ #7? I cannot decide between that rod and the 9’6 #7 version.

wetwader

Reaction score
How did you compare the 14’ Method and the X? What shooting heads?
I can’t follow in saying it’s very similar. The Method and the X can’t be more different. Also the One is different.
Not saying at all the X is worth to pay for this difference. I didn’t keep the one, didn’t keep the Method and not the X.
But they are very different!
Cheers
Roland

Neil W

Reaction score
I have tried the method 14ft 9wt and it is much stiffer than the sage x. Been testing the sage x14 ft 9wt today. Really nice with a Gaelforce integrated scandi 39g but the good old Rio AFS 9/10 was superb. That’s what I will be using on it in the summer

How did you compare the 14’ Method and the X? What shooting heads?
I can’t follow in saying it’s very similar. The Method and the X can’t be more different. Also the One is different.
Not saying at all the X is worth to pay for this difference. I didn’t keep the one, didn’t keep the Method and not the X.
But they are very different!
Cheers
Roland

wetwader

Reaction score
I have tried the method 14ft 9wt and it is much stiffer than the sage x. Been testing the sage x14 ft 9wt today. Really nice with a Gaelforce integrated scandi 39g but the good old Rio AFS 9/10 was superb. That’s what I will be using on it in the summer

Yes Neil,
that’s what I felt too.
The Method is stiffer in the butt section, the X is much stiffer in the tip, bringing the load down into the lower parts.
The tip of the Method is comparatively soft/more lively compared to the X. Very high line speed with the method, more moderate with the X, a deeper kick and more control in presentation. Two rods can’t be more different.
The One is somewhere in the middle. It’s only personal taste what is preferred.

Neil W

Reaction score
Completely agree with your comments on the X. Spent some more time with it today and the action is exactly as you describe. I really like it and the 9/10 Gaelforce integrated shooting head really works on the 14footer

Yes Neil,
that’s what I felt too.
The Method is stiffer in the butt section, the X is much stiffer in the tip, bringing the load down into the lower parts.
The tip of the Method is comparatively soft/more lively compared to the X. Very high line speed with the method, more moderate with the X, a deeper kick and more control in presentation. Two rods can’t be more different.
The One is somewhere in the middle. It’s only personal taste what is preferred.

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
I have tried the method alongside the One in the same length and line weight size. I tried a variety of lines on both and found the One preferable.
I now have a few of the sage x and found it to be even better than the one and the method, just my take on it.
All three types are nice, but for me I now prefer the x over the others, but as previously stated they are very different from each other.

Conehead

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
Forgot to mention the one negative gripe regarding the Sage X is the poor reel seat, nowhere near as nice as previous models. To be fair the reel seat holds all my reels perfectly well, but it looks cheap in my eyes....

Conehead

butler

Reaction score
X or method

Forgot to mention the one negative gripe regarding the Sage X is the poor reel seat, nowhere near as nice as previous models. To be fair the reel seat holds all my reels perfectly well, but it looks cheap in my eyes....

Conehead

This is easy I have both. The method I by far the best rod

Neil W

Reaction score
This is easy I have both. The method I by far the best rod

Just shows how different we all are. The method is far to poker like for me. The only one I hav3 used that I liked was the 8126. I will stick with the X