New 14'SageX or 14' Method ??????

dustybinns

Reaction score
Anyone out there had a go with the new X,?is there much between it and the method.?.Had a go with a friends 14'Method and was really impressed,so I have decided to treat myself again!!!!!!,problem is there's not much of a price difference between the new X and the Method,so do I take a chance on the X which I haven't tried or do I stick?

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
You should be able to get a decent discount on the Method, maybe less so on the X. A few people here have suggested John Norris as a good place to try.

If you wait then the method will be the next rod off the Sage product list so they will sell them off like they recently sold the 'one'

Inland mentioned that the taper, (and by implication the action) of the X is quite different to the Method. There's a thread on the general board.

FWIW before I tried the Method I would never have picked it in a blind test. I had the mistaken impression that Sage Rods were stiff bottoms with floppy tips. I couldn't have been more wrong and the publicity blurb really doesn't reflect reality so I'd agree with Andy to try before you buy.

I bought a Method 14fter in a closing down sale at a great price and really like it.

jimbo220

Reaction score
Anyone out there had a go with the new X,?is there much between it and the method.?.Had a go with a friends 14'Method and was really impressed,so I have decided to treat myself again!!!!!!,problem is there's not much of a price difference between the new X and the Method,so do I take a chance on the X which I haven't tried or do I stick?

Get yourself a proper rod john !!

A Zenith :):):):):):):):)

porteouz

Reaction score
Id be giving the one a try too, personally I think its a nicer rod than the method and there is still the odd one knocking about at discounted prices.

Reaction score
In my view I owned a Sage One sold it & bought a Sage Method from one of the Lads on this Forum delighted with the Sage Method. I then ordered a Sage X 14' for a 9weight picked it up had a few dry casts & thought to myself am I mad buying a Rod in my view which is very similar to the Method, It all depends what you want really? but I think long and hard about forking out £900 & you could pick up a pristine Method or Sage One for nearly 1/2 of the price of an X.

Saying that I did buy a Sage X 10' for a 7weight some action for a single hander.

You wont be dissapointed either way. (Method or X)

Dryfly

Reaction score
The x is an easier rod to cast with more 'depth' in it. So, you can really feel the flex right into your hand in a way that doesn't come with the method. Not saying its a floppy whippy thing, but there is a real difference.

But, try before you buy. It doesn't matter how amazing person x says a rod is if it doesn't suit your casting, and I don't think people actually really change their casting style just cos they get a new stick.

MikeCC

Reaction score
Hmmm...the X or the Method....i'll have the custom made B+W please;)

dustybinns

Reaction score
Thanks for the input lads, think it could be the Method unless I can get my hands on the X.No hurry,it's just a new toy for me and yes ,my B+W can do what the the new sage can do ,that I'm sure.But it don't have Konnectic HD Technology and all the other stuff that I must have,just incase I turn into a Wormer.:p

jimmylong

Reaction score
Had a few days on the Tay with the x now and it is nothing like the method.
When first picking up the x before casting it feel pretty
Wobbly and through action,
Once you get a line on.it and cast it it's a totally different animal, a flick from the
tip sends the line shooting out, tried giving it the guns but it doesn't like being bullied, take your time and load it deep and it goes great, but defo casting off the tip is it's strength ,amazed at how far I can cast with a flick,
Everything needs to be right behind you though, not as forgiving as I thought it would be,. Really like it though the more I use it

Last edited:

luney

Reaction score
Had a few days on the Tay with the x now and it is nothing like the method.
When first picking up the x before casting it feel pretty
Wobbly and through action,
Once you get a line on.it and cast it it's a totally different animal, a flick from the
tip sends the line shooting out, tried giving it the guns but it doesn't like being bullied, take your time and load it deep and it goes great, but defo casting off the tip is it's strength ,amazed at how far I can cast with a flick,
Everything needs to be right behind you though, not as forgiving as I thought it would be,. Really like it though the more I use it

Had a go with the 14 " 9 weight on the Spey earlier this year as you say Jimmy it doesn't like being bullied. Slowed everything down a bit and the line flew of it!!! Very impressed but for a bag of sand you should be.

butler

Reaction score
Had a go with the 14 " 9 weight on the Spey earlier this year as you say Jimmy it doesn't like being bullied. Slowed everything down a bit and the line flew of it!!! Very impressed but for a bag of sand you should be.

Trust me it's a no brainer method all the time.

Neil W

Reaction score
15ft sage one is a very good rod. Not tried an X but sounds good as I have slowed down my casting stroke with time. Especially with the longer rods. Anyone tried the 15' X

rs2ford

Reaction score
I cast the 14ft X today for a few hours with various different lines. In my opinion it is much more user friendly compared to the 14ft Method and has lighter softer feel about it. Definitely more bend in the butt section although the tip is stronger. It was good with a 9/10 54ft head spey line and a Gaelforce 550g skagit but really excelled with a shooting head. Gaelforce Equalizer shooting head multi tip 9/10 was a perfect match. As said in previous posts, slow everything down and watch it fly.
The only criticism is that the reel seat feels flimsy and doesn't accommodate reels with a thick foot too well. A Danielsson control barely sits on it, but a Sage 3600d fits like a glove:cool:.
Roll on the spring:)

Cheers Diarmid.

2Ll's

Method

Tried the X and like mentioned earlier in the thread it does not like "being bullied", just like the ONE did not.

It is classed as a fast action rod and loads deeper than the method, I personally think the X is closer to the ONE than it is the method.

I have tried all three and much prefer my 14' and 15' methods, not as much feel as the X but you can give it a "little extra" without it folding on you.

JMO

Findhorn Conehead

Reaction score
Tried the X and like mentioned earlier in the thread it does not like "being bullied", just like the ONE did not.

It is classed as a fast action rod and loads deeper than the method, I personally think the X is closer to the ONE than it is the method.

I have tried all three and much prefer my 14' and 15' methods, not as much feel as the X but you can give it a "little extra" without it folding on you.

JMO

I have also cast all of the above rods, not sure that I have experienced the X model folding on me though. I find the X a great deal different from the one, agree that it loads deeper than the one and the method but that was how it was designed to cast. I have found you can in fact wind it up a lot more than the one.

Conehead

Neil W

Reaction score
I have a few sage ones and really like them especially the 15ft rod. I am considering the Sage X 14ft 9 wt but had been put off by comments that the X is under rated. I would use it mainly with an AFS 9/10. Has anyone tried this line on the X?

Reaction score
I have a few sage ones and really like them especially the 15ft rod. I am considering the Sage X 14ft 9 wt but had been put off by comments that the X is under rated. I would use it mainly with an AFS 9/10. Has anyone tried this line on the X?
If your buying a Sage X 14' 9weight put a 39gram Gaelforce equaliser line on it! You have to slow your whole cast down to load the X properly but it becomes a really nice rod to cast when you get used to it's action.

Talk with Diarmid he will put you right?

Darra

Neil W

Reaction score
If your buying a Sage X 14' 9weight put a 39gram Gaelforce equaliser line on it! You have to slow your whole cast down to load the X properly but it becomes a really nice rod to cast when you get used to it's action.

Talk with Diarmid he will put you right?

Darra

Thanks for the feedback

rs2ford

Reaction score

Hi Neil,
I would say the 14ft 9wt X is definitely not under rated. It is superb with a 38/39g shooting head. I don't have an AFS to try on mine but I have used the Rio Scandi versitip 9wt at 38g and it goes out great. My favourite line on it is the Gaelforce Equalizer shooting head which is of similar length and weight to the AFS, granted it's a different profile.

I also own a Sage One 15ft which I rate highly. I think you would not be disappointed with the X.

Cheers Diarmid.

Neil W

Reaction score
Hi Neil,
I would say the 14ft 9wt X is definitely not under rated. It is superb with a 38/39g shooting head. I don't have an AFS to try on mine but I have used the Rio Scandi versitip 9wt at 38g and it goes out great. My favourite line on it is the Gaelforce Equalizer shooting head which is of similar length and weight to the AFS, granted it's a different profile.

I also own a Sage One 15ft which I rate highly. I think you would not be disappointed with the X.

Cheers Diarmid.

Many thanks Diarmid I appreciate your comments. I may be investing in an X before the spring and I also asked about the AFS as I have the 9/10 already. I have the Rio versitip in a 9 as well so will be in a strong position.
It’s diffic for me to try before I buy so your input is ver6 valuable

rs2ford

Reaction score
Many thanks Diarmid I appreciate your comments. I may be investing in an X before the spring and I also asked about the AFS as I have the 9/10 already. I have the Rio versitip in a 9 as well so will be in a strong position.
It’s diffic for me to try before I buy so your input is ver6 valuable

Neil,
Where are you based? If you are near Glasgow at any time you are welcome to try mine.

Cheers Diarmid.

Neil W

Reaction score
Neil,
Where are you based? If you are near Glasgow at any time you are welcome to try mine.

Cheers Diarmid.

That is a very generous offer but unfortunately I live in North London. I am happy to take a risk based on your experience especially as you like the 15ft one. I will look for a deal in the New Year ready for a trip to the Dee in March