Nets

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Anyone tried the wychwood gye net. I don’t always carry a net but sometimes they come in handy where there’s no where to beach a fish but I can’t stand a huge thing clunking on my back - and my old one can be a pain to deploy with a fish on and trying to do a dance to get the bloody thing to slide down. Anyway, any thoughts welcome👍

Rennie

Reaction score
Dr P., the Whychwood is a good cheap robust net, but the net bag itself is too big and the mesh way too fine. Deploy it in anything like a flow and you'll end up with a netting arm 2ft longer than your other one!
I've quite a collection of nets and it's very much a case of simple is as simple does.
Keeping the net shaft clean and polished leads to a better operation at netting time.Avoid oil n grease, you get messy and it attracts crap, Silicone spray's the stuff.
Pedro.

S.preston

Reaction score
I was actually looking at these myself. Ive had various wychwood products in the past and they would be a budget product. I have been using a rapala pan net for the last year or so, its nice and light has a deep mesh and big enough for a fish up to about 10lb but unfortunately the missus landed a box on it and is no more good. Im currently between the wychwood like yourself and then the McLean or do I go back to the pan style like rapala or the guideline salmon version?

chriswjx

Reaction score
Looking at the price of the wychwood, its not much more for a Sharpes, at least from where I was seeing? Would the Sharpes ones be a better purchase?

Woodsy

Reaction score
Anyone tried the wychwood gye net. I don’t always carry a net but sometimes they come in handy where there’s no where to beach a fish but I can’t stand a huge thing clunking on my back - and my old one can be a pain to deploy with a fish on and trying to do a dance to get the bloody thing to slide down. Anyway, any thoughts welcome👍
I feel the exact same Patrick. Hate carrying a net and it snagging it on barbed wire! I went with a 24inch teardrop sharpes and I have to say, it is so snug and lightweight. Highly recommend one

chriswjx

Reaction score
I feel the exact same Patrick. Hate carrying a net and it snagging it on barbed wire! I went with a 24inch teardrop sharpes and I have to say, it is so snug and lightweight. Highly recommend one

Also, I noticed if you order direct from Sharpes, apparently you get free delivery. Anyone able to confirm that?

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I had a look at the sharpes year drop - looks a nice snug fit - is it easy enough to pop it open or do you have to try and bend it open on your leg etc. If you are holding your rod. Also does the handle slide out ?? I’ll do some looking but that ‘snug fit is definitely what I want rather than something that dangles all over the place.

thanks for your tips chaps 👍👍👍

chriswjx

Reaction score

Also, how do you find the webbing sling? Is it quite sturdy or does it look prone to fraying? Love the look of their leather slings, but they don't offer them with the smaller nets...

D

Deleted member 11237

The webbing sling is pretty good, pull the velcro tab and the head falls, easily done with one hand while playing a fish, much easier than a maclean net.

Woodsy

Reaction score
I have no problem with the sling, i used a similar one for years on my previous gye net but not as snug.

You can adjust with a screwdriver how tight the handle sits inside the net to easily slip down when opened or needing help from your foot. There might be a video review on youtube of it?

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Found a couple of videos - I like the look of the sea trout net but would go the salmon one - LOL - I've just learnt something as well - i never thread my old net through the handle - always just try to stuff it in the rest of the net - no wonder it was a pain in the erse :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Salmon net

Sea trout net

mows

Reaction score
Nets are great if someone else is carrying it.
I do a lot of walking when fishing my beats, and a net just isnt practicle.
I did "loose" a decent fish in higher water last year
But it was going back anyway and id got it to the side so wasnt that bothered.

SteveG

Reaction score
Found a couple of videos - I like the look of the sea trout net but would go the salmon one - LOL - I've just learnt something as well - i never thread my old net through the handle - always just try to stuff it in the rest of the net - no wonder it was a pain in the erse :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Salmon net

Sea trout net

Brilliant I’ve learnt something today👍Just need the stock to land at my local supplier and I’m sorted

Hoddom

Reaction score
The Sharpes is my choice too - but with a more fish friendly net. The gauge is a little large for my tastes and I worry about splitting fins or even restricting opening of the mouth and hence oxygenaction.

I picked up a Wychwood net from the shop for a chum. I didn’t use it. But i did slip it on to try the fit. The strap arrangement was, to my mind, very comfortable and simple.