Ness in June

keirstream

Reaction score
Have two days booked on the Ness Castle beat in mid June. Any advice?
Cancel them.:D
I have never fished the Ness so can't help you on the beat itself.
What I do know is that you will be in the hands of one of the best young ghillies in the country.
I have known Max McKinstrie since he started as an apprentice on Stirling Fisheries under Davy Jones and latterly fished
with him for a couple of seasons before he left for New Zealand on a sabbatical year. I am just waiting on some beats myself.
If there's a fish in the river Max will put you on to it and will make sure your visit is an absolute pleasure that you will remember.(y)
Good luck.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Have two days booked on the Ness Castle beat in mid June. Any advice?
It’s a proper river. You don‘t want any of this switch rod rubbish unless you’re after a few casts for sea-trout.

Best give the ghillie a bell but I’d be looking at 16’ rod minimum unless he advises otherwise. I would not be using a full floater either. AG

Elibank

Reaction score
Good chapter on the Ness in John Ashley-Cooper’s book, “A Salmon Fisher’s Odyssey”, some details may be dated (1982) by now. (pp108-112).

langavat

Reaction score
Well, here we are in July, the club water has not had a fish yet, the boys have been fishing hard since opening day NOOT.
The Ness has become a laughing stock. What with the ART WALL, the TWIN ARCHEMEDIES SCREW, losing parking all
over the club water. A sad state of affairs indeed. However, if you want the best river to learn to Speycast and the most
helpful guys to learn from this is the place to visit, these guys can put a line out. The Ness is probably the nicest cast in the UK,
the river running straight and true for 90% of its flow. A week in Inverness fishing (sorry casting) drinking, eating, doing the town
never a dull moment.

Reactions: gmm

gmm

Reaction score
heya w, didnt get a chance for a yap, you were away quick? , seen more fish in the top of the wee isle last night than i've seen in many years, not even a tweak lol, see you when you're back up.