Neil Oliver

Nigel Passmore

Reaction score
I'd never heard of Neil Oliver until last year. He has a weekly slot on a Wednesday at 11 on Mike Graham's Talk Radio Show. I make a point of now tuning in. He has some really interesting, reasoned, well thought out things to say about the state we are in which he says very well. You might be interested to look at the hundreds of below the line comments to see what others think of him.

Regards

NHP

carbisdale caster

Reaction score
Theres something just not right with him.
I’m no fan but mainly because I used to get asked on occasion if I was him. The last time was on the train south to Inverness by an elderly couple a few years ago to which I replied in my most horrified tone “certainly not madam, I’m from the capital” 😂

Last edited:

Fruin

Reaction score
I judge people by a simple test... "Would I trust them to look after my kids for a day?". To be fair, if I met him and got to know him then the answer would be "maybe". However, I still think he is a scroat of the highest order.

westie4566

Reaction score
Did you play the clip?
Of course he didn't.

Sadly those that support the 'Indy' movement are so blinkered to their cause that practicalities or alternative views are ignored, and those that dare suggest different called the like of 'scroats'.

I'm starting to be embarrassed to be Scottish. We're rapidly starting to look barking mad to the outside world.

I've stated previously that I think Scotland could be a successful independent nation. But now is NOT the time to even contemplate it.

I'm still waiting for a sensible answer to how we're going to fund things up here now oil has gone...no replies forethcoming...in fact that question has just been ignored.

I've nowt against Fruin... passion should be admired. I have a very good pal who is the same. We just have the sense not to air politics and spend a great deal of time together speaking about sensible stuff....fishing.

The trouble with passion is that it invariably overrules reason.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I judge people by a simple test... "Would I trust them to look after my kids for a day?". To be fair, if I met him and got to know him then the answer would be "maybe". However, I still think he is a scroat of the highest order.

So on doing your simple test fruin , which I've had to change to - would I trust you to look after these two for a day as I don't have kid's

The answer would be - I wouldn't let any deluded cult supporting loon near them 👍
_20200701_120711.JPG

Fruin

Reaction score
Some on here start from a position of immediately assuming they are more intelligent than others.
Yes, I listened to the clip; twice now! Did I learn anything? No.
No doubt, Neil Oliver is a good orator, but he is more of a dramatist which is probably why he ended up as a presenter.
My honest opinion? I thought the first half of the chat was like listening to two children discussing the pandemic. Some good observations in the second half but nothing that we don't already know.
I just can't take to the man. That was the case even before he pitched in on the independence debate. As I said, he talks well, but generally says nothing.

happy days

Reaction score
I couldn’t disagree with anything he said, I didn’t know him from Adam beforehand so had no preconceived conceptions

ozzyian

Reaction score
Remember when Sir Chris Hoy was the countries leading sportsmen and well loved from one end of the country (Cornwall) to the other? Salmond attempted to 'borrow' him as a Scotsman and link him to the 'Scottish plight'. I remember it well and Sir Chris basically had to tell Salmond to GTF in the media and made a point that in an independent Scotland he wouldn't have achieved what he did.

Make no mistake, if Oliver was endorsing independence they'd be hanging off him like a cheap suit, lauded by the nationalist movement and paraded in every rally, protest and flag waving going. That he takes the opposing view makes him a scroat, apparently.

Since you imply that in your above example he couldn't be trusted how about you answer a simple question. Given a choice between Oliver and your ex Finance Minister who would you actually select?

Last edited:

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Remember when Sir Chris Hoy was the countries leading sportsmen and well loved from one end of the country (Cornwall) to the other? Salmond attempted to 'borrow' him as a Scotsman and link him to the 'Scottish plight'. I remember it well and Sir Chris basically had to tell Salmond to GTF in the media, and made a point that in an independent Scotland he wouldn't have achieved what he did.

Make no mistake, if Oliver was endorsing independence they'd be all over him like a rash, lauded by the nationalist movement and paraded in every rally, protest and flag waving going. That he takes the opposing view makes him a weasel, apparently.

Since you imply that in your above example he couldn't be trusted how about you answer a simple question. Given a choice between Oliver and your ex Finance Minister who would you actually select?
I’ve a feeling that 90% of MSP’s, MP’s or MEP’s promise the earth in opposition but renege when in Govt. I wouldn’t trust any of them and Tories, hose them down. AG

Fruin

Reaction score
Remember when Sir Chris Hoy was the countries leading sportsmen and well loved from one end of the country (Cornwall) to the other? Salmond attempted to 'borrow' him as a Scotsman and link him to the 'Scottish plight'. I remember it well and Sir Chris basically had to tell Salmond to GTF in the media and made a point that in an independent Scotland he wouldn't have achieved what he did.

Make no mistake, if Oliver was endorsing independence they'd be hanging off him like a cheap suit, lauded by the nationalist movement and paraded in every rally, protest and flag waving going. That he takes the opposing view makes him a scroat, apparently.

Neither! But, yes i'd probably select Neil Oliver. For the record, scandal aside I never thought McKay was good for the SNP and was glad when he went.

goosander

Reaction score
I’ve a feeling that 90% of MSP’s, MP’s or MEP’s promise the earth in opposition but renege when in Govt. I wouldn’t trust any of them and Tories, hose them down. AG
Was fishing with one of the top Tories in the cabinet. While sitting in the fishing hut having our lunch I asked him if he believed all the guff he talks on the telly. He just laughed and said no but that is what the public what to hear,
Always surprised when they have left government how sensible they become. Tony Ben was one that when you were with him he had a great sense of fun.
Bob.

Ness Glen

Reaction score
Of course he didn't.
I don't doubt that you are right Westie, but I am sure that he didn't need to watch the clip. Unlike the thread originator I am sure that Fruin knows enough about Neil Oliver to have formed an opinion about his opinions a long time ago. The fact that he has been signed up for Andrew Neil's TV channel, which is opened aimed at right wing conservatives says it all. Nuff said!

Ypres

Reaction score
The same Neil Oliver that not so long ago tried to rewrite the Highland Clearances as "voluntary emigration"....
As I, a retired history teacher, have gone into in some detail elsewhere many people did emigrate from the highlands voluntarily. Many people were forced out. For some there was a mix of reasons. History is complicated. Don’t fall for simplistic explanations which are no more than propaganda.
Having seen some of the recent online vitriol Neil Oliver had been subjected to I suspect some of the writers would have done well in the SA.

Walleye

Reaction score
Well, based on the couple of threads on the topics of Scottish independence, you guys are in for a pile of sh1te whichever way you go. Further division as part of the union or further division with your own government and full control over your finances.

If there was any sense of "doing the right thing for Scotland" then the SNP should have said right after indyref2 that they will push for a referendum in 2039 but in the meantime they would put all their efforts into getting everyone joined up behind independence by excellence in governance and proving just how great Scotland can be as an independent country.

Instead, they have sh1t on the Scottish people for their own ego. Both salmond and sturgeon just want to be the brave heart hero who brought independence to Scotland. I shouldn't be surprised that any politician would put ego before country.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Well, based on the couple of threads on the topics of Scottish independence, you guys are in for a pile of sh1te whichever way you go. Further division as part of the union or further division with your own government and full control over your finances.

If there was any sense of "doing the right thing for Scotland" then the SNP should have said right after indyref2 that they will push for a referendum in 2039 but in the meantime they would put all their efforts into getting everyone joined up behind independence by excellence in governance and proving just how great Scotland can be as an independent country.

Instead, they have sh1t on the Scottish people for their own ego. Both salmond and sturgeon just want to be the brave heart hero who brought independence to Scotland. I shouldn't be surprised that any politician would put ego before country.
Not unlike blair bringing peace to the Middle East, well at least its not that bad, but you are quite right imo. The truth is that this is what these people are like, delusional busy bodies with the fattest of fat egos. I'm sure it doesn't even register with them the harm they cause. Or they deflect it to someone else.