Need rain

sneakypeter

Reaction score
From raging floods to rapidly diminishing flows seems to sum up a lot of rivers, no rain forecast for the next month in the south, fish still in the Avon, but the likely rise in temperature and no rain are a concern for sure.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Just 11mm of rain in February; 8mm in March; none in April; none forecast.

Apart from one short lift in March the Ure has flatlined at MSL for weeks. There's the odd fish clambering upstream with admirable determination, but otherwise there's been no proper run since January.

And just to put the final polish on my morale, I can't go to the Helmsdale next week owing to the 2-couple accommodation limitation on the lodge.

Chicharito

Reaction score
Ten years ago when I used to travel up to Northumberland every 4 weeks, I would nearly always be in with a chance on the Till with floods every few weeks or so. Nowadays you are lucky if you get 2 or 3 floods per season. Fortunately the Bottom Tweed is my other option when I am up there next week and sightseeing and relaxing!

westie4566

Reaction score
As alluded to above it's been as dry as a witches t** up here for weeks now.

Water desperately needed if even just to give the smolts a swift and safe journey to sea.

I'm enjoying the fine weather ....but!!!

keirstream

Reaction score
I haven't cast a line for 6 weeks now and even when I did get a cast on the Teith prior to that, there wasn't a fin to be seen.
On Tuesday I went to Crieff to pick up a backpacking tent for my 2nd round of the Munroes and took the dog up the Earn to big Pat's memorial bench at Boggy Wood Pool (now renamed Piries Pool after another friend, Alex Pirie, who lost his life on the Tay 17 years ago and shares the bench in terms of plaques with Pat) The water at Lochlane was pitifully low and again, being worked mercilessly by goosanders. No cormorants though, which was a surprise.
Had a walk down the Teith at the Blue banks to the Forth junction on Wednesday, the water so low that any parr surviving would have had no chance of evading the 10 or a dozen different goosanders and the 2 cormorants I observed working the pools on the Blue Banks alone.:(
Normally, you would see a seal or 2 hunting as well but I guess the lack of salmon this spring has enticed them back to the estuary. They'll be back though.
Salmon appear to have absolutely nothing going for them, do they?

OURTREV

Reaction score
TooTo

Took a photo of the local farmers field down by the River Wye in Herefordshire yesterday. The Wye is desperate for water but I think things will get worse when the farms start to irrigate their crops. Other than the odd salmon the River is devoid of fish, in fact the River seems empty. Can't be so as the Goosanders can be seen in the pools.

Shades of 1976 for those with a memory that long.

As one of the forum posters said earlier in this thread everything seems to be against the salmon! :(

Trev.

IMG-20210422-WA0001.jpg

keirstream

Reaction score
Oh no do not give me ideas. You have already got me looking through my old SMC munro guide books. Compleatist number 3715.
Well done Ypres, its not a bad pursuit really.(y)
Currently waiting for the pup to grow longer legs and a bit more stamina.
I should have been somewhere up near the top of Sgurr nan Coireachan just now with Sgurr Thuilm to follow on the Corryhully Horseshoe
this morning but couldn't get a dog sitter unfortunately.
The lads will be well on their way from the bothy by now.
I'm really aiming for Mid June to get really cracking with the dog in tow and spare room in a big rucsac (Lowe Alpine 75L, just ordered and awaiting arrival) for her just in case.:)
I'm heading to the Far North that week with Loxie so going to squeeze in Klibreck on the way up, shame not to really.
If she proves herself, as I expect she will, back into Shenevall for the Fisherfield Forest gig.
Happy days indeed-----and a hill dug to boot.(y)(y):D

scotsmac1

Reaction score
I’m due on the Northy last 3 days the month. Looking at the river level camera Iv never seen it so low in April. Gone the days of snowmelt topping rivers up. It also gone.
Im already thinking not even to bother with the drive and basically forfeit my 3 days and stay home.
It mad we only in April and already it like summer flows. And looking long range weather no rain due.
One thing for sure , gone my days booking early or take repeat week year in year out on any river after April. May be ok on larger systems but on smaller spate streams the gamble just not worth it. If yu lucky it’s 1 good year in 5. From now my fishing will be booked at the time.
My future plans especially as retirement looms and more free time is fish further afield. Hopefully when Covid slows down and free movement becomes the norm again I plan take my Van Norway and fish and live in my van from mid June for 4 weeks or so. With having larger rivers. More snow I’m not so hit and miss with no water scenario.
I feel it time I start change my target species here and start Sea fishing. Or more Trout fishing in our lochs
As been said. Hard times ahead for our Salmon

Rainclouds

Reaction score
At least there's always water in the sea. I've taken up salt water fly fishing purely as a release valve for when there is no salmon or trout fishing. The conditions seem harder to get right than for salmon fishing and its not an easy learning curve.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
The start so far has got me thinking of '76 although the 12 month data YTD is above the long term average by 7 to 21%.

Having said that, other than in the North East, March was more than 20% below the LTA and last week was at 7% for pretty much every area :oops:

The result is that my evening session later will be fishing with tiny flies in low, crystal clear water more like August conditions!