Need help to spend dosh!!!!

flyvirgin

Reaction score
Ive already had very good sound advice from another forum member, but Im now throwing this into an open debate!!:D:D

Im thinking about buying a 12' 8 weight for next year. I have a shortlist of 4 which the other member has seen and Im leaning towards 2 of the rods from the list.

The rod will be a summer rod for use when smaller flies and a lighter tippet is required and Im in no hurry to buy. Im actually looking at Feb to purchase the rod to give me time to get it right. At present I have very limited experiance to double handers at present I own a 14' AWM which I love and i am trying to get as close as I can to this rod. It will be team to a short shooting head type line.

I know we all have different views and likes to what we call perfect but all input is gratefully recieved.

smokie999

Reaction score
Ive already had very good sound advice from another forum member, but Im now throwing this into an open debate!!:D:D

Im thinking about buying a 12' 8 weight for next year. I have a shortlist of 4 which the other member has seen and Im leaning towards 2 of the rods from the list.

The rod will be a summer rod for use when smaller flies and a lighter tippet is required and Im in no hurry to buy. Im actually looking at Feb to purchase the rod to give me time to get it right. At present I have very limited experiance to double handers at present I own a 14' AWM which I love and i am trying to get as close as I can to this rod. It will be team to a short shooting head type line.

I know we all have different views and likes to what we call perfect but all input is gratefully recieved.
an idea of your budget would help

Strathglass

Reaction score
No idea!!:D:D

If your username is still valid then the whole idea of spending hundreds of pounds on kit would seem mental to me....

Get yourself a good priced well balanced outfit and spend the change on some nice fishing next spring, don't even think about spending £300 on rods until you have a few fish under your belt. IMHO!! ;)

smokie999

Reaction score
Having missed the boat re the AWM's and thought I'd never get my hands on one, I actually managed to obtain two, both virtually brand new - the 14ft 9/10 and the 13ft 8/9. I got the lighter rod for my son but will now borrow it back whenever I get the chance, much lighter and delicate that the 14ft. I put a Snowbee 2D 8/9 with it and it just flies out, much prefer it for average water conditions.

So, if it aint broke don't fix it, you love your AWM 14ft so drop a size and try to get your hands on the smaller, lighter AWM. Appreciate you really want a 12 footer but I found the difference in these two rod quite substantial. They are shooting head rods so meet another of your requirements - just a thought.

BC
like you I bought both sizes of the awm on the advice of rennie one of the forum members and also like you I tend to prefer the smaller 13 foot. Both are fantastic rods for the money. Thanks to rennie I finished up with two great rods for not too much money ,add a decent line and you have great casting outfit. I bought the awm shooting head system for mine and it flies out.also bought a cheap shakespeare odessy 8/9 for £15.00 from ebay for casting practice and that also goes out great

crispin

Banned
Reaction score
also bought a cheap shakespeare odessy 8/9 for £15.00 from ebay for casting practice and that also goes out great

As a matter of interest Smokie, why not do your casting practice on the rod you will be fishing with? Seems a bit strange practicing on anything else.

It's like practicing guitar playing or rally driving on a totally different piece of equipment to the one you're actually practicing to use.

flyvirgin

Reaction score
Having missed the boat re the AWM's and thought I'd never get my hands on one, I actually managed to obtain two, both virtually brand new - the 14ft 9/10 and the 13ft 8/9. I got the lighter rod for my son but will now borrow it back whenever I get the chance, much lighter and delicate that the 14ft. I put a Snowbee 2D 8/9 with it and it just flies out, much prefer it for average water conditions.

So, if it aint broke don't fix it, you love your AWM 14ft so drop a size and try to get your hands on the smaller, lighter AWM. Appreciate you really want a 12 footer but I found the difference in these two rods quite substantial. They are shooting head rods and so meet another of your requirements - just a thought.

BC

BC very interesting! That train of thought didnt even enter my nut:eek::cool:

flyvirgin

Reaction score
If your username is still valid then the whole idea of spending hundreds of pounds on kit would seem mental to me....

Get yourself a good priced well balanced outfit and spend the change on some nice fishing next spring, don't even think about spending £300 on rods until you have a few fish under your belt. IMHO!! ;)

My name needs changed;);) It doesnt matter if the rod is a £100 or £300 as long as I get the choice correct, thats why Ive flung it out to a open debate.

Last edited:

BLONDELAWMAN

Reaction score
No question about it: TCX 12' 6", #7.

It's actually more an 8 or 9#, and it's simply amazing. By far and away the single greatest rod I own for so many reasons.