My turn...

sgellert

Reaction score
to get wet crotch and toes :(
So I've been using my Patagonia Rio Gallegos Zip for close to two seasons, and been really happy with them, until this Saturday.
Was wading pretty deep, little more than crotch depth, and I felt a little colder than usual, but thought "Hey, it IS a chilly morning !"
When I got in I discovered a large damp patch, that would probably have been solved by an adult size diaper, and a pretty wet sock on the right foot.

The good thing is, there is still 1 month left of the 2 year warranty everything gets here in Denmark, so they're on their way back.
If they for some reason can't/won't help, shipping direct to Patagonia should be good.
Also, great I didn't sell my spare Simms waders ;)

Robb76

Reaction score
So I've been using my Patagonia Rio Gallegos Zip for close to two seasons, and been really happy with them, until this Saturday.
Was wading pretty deep, little more than crotch depth, and I felt a little colder than usual, but thought "Hey, it IS a chilly morning !"
When I got in I discovered a large damp patch, that would probably have been solved by an adult size diaper, and a pretty wet sock on the right foot.

The good thing is, there is still 1 month left of the 2 year warranty everything gets here in Denmark, so they're on their way back.
If they for some reason can't/won't help, shipping direct to Patagonia should be good.

You done remarkably well to get close to two seasons out of them!

I went through 2 pairs in less than 2 months a few seasons back :( Got offered a 3rd pair but politely requested a refund.

Kype King

Reaction score
I’ve had a pair for two seasons and they are without doubt the best waders I’ve ever had! Admittedly I bought them half price in a sale but I’d happily buy again. Love every feature and no leaks whatsoever. Went through A pair of Vision Ikons every season before I bought the Patagonias.

goosander

Reaction score
My son got a pair of cheap waders [£39.99] as he does not fish much. My own waders are leaking as usual after a season so got a cheap pair. They may be rubbish with no fancy name on them but I have dry feet still after a season.
Bob.

Tangled

Reaction score
I accidentally cracked this wader problem. I wanted a very lightweight breathable pair to travel with and bought a pair of Greys CTs for £60. They're a decent brand from a good retailer so the warrantee works if you need it, but they've also proved to be everything I need. My first pair laster 2 seasons before I put a hole in the leg. I repaired it but bought another pair anyway. I now regard waders as the consumables that they are. Why anyone would spend £700 on them, beats me.

1603264799175.jpeg

D

Deleted member 21259

When I bought my last pair of Simms G4Z I keep.looking at Patagonia. Was torn between them and the Simms waders. I would be really interested if you could offer your own opinion please comparing the 2 manufacturers side by side ;)

sgellert

Reaction score
When I bought my last pair of Simms G4Z I keep.looking at Patagonia. Was torn between them and the Simms waders. I would be really interested if you could offer your own opinion please comparing the 2 manufacturers side by side ;)
My Simms waders are a pretty basic model, so can't really compare.
The Patagonias were on sale for around 400 GBP back then, where a pair of G4Z would have been close to twice as much.
If, for some reason, this warranty thing on the Patagonias doesn't work out, I think I'd go for Vision Koski Zip instead, half the price of Patagonia, one third of Simms.

D

Deleted member 21259

My Simms waders are a pretty basic model, so can't really compare.
The Patagonias were on sale for around 400 GBP back then, where a pair of G4Z would have been close to twice as much.
If, for some reason, this warranty thing on the Patagonias doesn't work out, I think I'd go for Vision Koski Zip instead, half the price of Patagonia, one third of Simms.

Crikey, if I could offer some advice regarding Vision zip waders it would be avoid them. I had a pair of Ikon zips some years ago and they leaked and leaked badly. They were replaced under warranty and the replacement ones leaked too after a very short period of time. They were also replaced under warranty and the third pair leaked too. I got a refund and bought my first pair of Simms which were very good. When they eventually gave up I tried Vision zip waders again. They leaked after only 6 weeks wear. They were returned and I was offered a warranty repair. This would have meant having them sent to a chap called Dave Gordon aka Diver Dave. I really do not like the quality of his repair work so just decided to bin them and that's when I was trying to pick between Simms and Patagonia. In all fairness I suppose, a lot of anglers seem to like Vision zip waders. I have a lot of peers who have had them fail, they have had clients who have had them fail. I have had them fail and I also have clients who have had them fail. I wouldn't touch them again. Their rods are excellent and I think their shooting heads are probably the best in the world. Cr4p waders though :oops:

cloner

Reaction score
For years I've had a chance to use and try out waders by different brands. Simms used to be bombproof - some 10 years back and earlier I would say. In recent years I tend to buy cheap waders/basic breathable models as I see no point in investing in "flagship" waders that wouldn't last more then two seasons as this has been reality sadly.

3 years ago I talked about waders durability to one of the guides on the Skeena. The lodge he had worked for for years offered each of their guides a pair of new Simms waders for a season. And they used to last a season or almost two back in the day. But in recent years he would have used 4 pairs of waders per season. The remaining three pairs he bought were Patagonia as he was on guide program with them. So no matter Simms or Patagonia, the waders would last no more than than 100 days before they start leaking.

At the moment I own 4 pairs of which two are waist waders and two are regular chest waders. The best and those I use for my salmon fishing trips are Guideline Dee, which I've been using for 11 years now. The first pair of my Guideline Dee started leaking after just 5 months and the ones I own are warranty replacement. I cut one of the neoprene socks in 2014 that forced me to replace the entire neoprene socks. And 3 years ago I had to seal the crotch area. That's it for 11 years and probably some 150 days usage.

clydesider

Reaction score
I accidentally cracked this wader problem. I wanted a very lightweight breathable pair to travel with and bought a pair of Greys CTs for £60. They're a decent brand from a good retailer so the warrantee works if you need it, but they've also proved to be everything I need.

View attachment 51410

Wish I could find these at £60!!
Mike

Tangled

Reaction score
Wish I could find these at £60!!
Mike

yeh, they're mostly unavailable or silly priced now. I'm gonna have to find a new cheapie for the season after next - the ones I bought for this season have only been worn once, sadly.

Anyhoo, if you want to take a chance, they're available on this website that I've never heard of for £41 with free delivery! They have no contact details and seem to sell a rag-bag of stuff so it's a bit of a punt.

Last edited:

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Thumbs up CTX for me as well. I’ve started going reasonably priced as I’ve had more expensive waders which have lasted Only a couple of seasons. I like diver Dave, but I don’t see the point in paying 60 quid every season to get them resealed - I would consider sending them to him when brand new to make them more robust - but once they fail, I’ll just try and aqua sure fix them myself. The guidelines seem ok as well.

I like the ctx boots as well, nice wide opening for the foot and no giving yourself a hernia trying to get your feet in - but they do them size 13 which is a bonus - and nice broad felties. I’ve started aquasuring the foot sole components from new just to have no probs with stuff falling off.

I once watched a Simms advert, two chaps fishing - one catches a fish in a deep ravine. Queue sliding down on their arses, jumping through trees, handing the rod back and forth - and I thought, your waders are now truly ****ed. But if i can get a ‘bargain’ pair, I’d try them - but I’m not paying 400-700 quid for something that’ll get punctured on some Welsh Dee thistles or the farmer’s generous Barbed wire on stiles!!

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I originally bought a cheap pair of airflos and went over all the seams with a tube of aquasure myself. Wore them for 3 seasons and they didn't leak. Treated myself to custom fit vision icons from diver dave start of this season and last 2 trips I've had my old airflos on cause my icons starting to leak. Airflos still don't leak 4 seasons on think they were like £60. And tube aquasure £8. I know what I will be doing from now on.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Thumbs up CTX for me as well. I’ve started going reasonably priced as I’ve had more expensive waders which have lasted Only a couple of seasons. I like diver Dave, but I don’t see the point in paying 60 quid every season to get them resealed - I would consider sending them to him when brand new to make them more robust - but once they fail, I’ll just try and aqua sure fix them myself. The guidelines seem ok as well.

I like the ctx boots as well, nice wide opening for the foot and no giving yourself a hernia trying to get your feet in - but they do them size 13 which is a bonus - and nice broad felties. I’ve started aquasuring the foot sole components from new just to have no probs with stuff falling off.

I once watched a Simms advert, two chaps fishing - one catches a fish in a deep ravine. Queue sliding down on their arses, jumping through trees, handing the rod back and forth - and I thought, your waders are now truly ****ed. But if i can get a ‘bargain’ pair, I’d try them - but I’m not paying 400-700 quid for something that’ll get punctured on some Welsh Dee thistles or the farmer’s generous Barbed wire on stiles!!
I had the ctx boots. I hated them they were shite. Constantly aquasureing them as the fell to bits everywhere. Also weighed about a hundred weight each when wet.
I didn't throw them out start of this season I burnt them cackling away to myself. :ROFLMAO:
I splashed out £200 on the new simms lightweight boots and its defo been money well spent. Especially for the amount of hoofing about i do.

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
I had the ctx boots. I hated them they were shite. Constantly aquasureing them as the fell to bits everywhere. Also weighed about a hundred weight each when wet.
I didn't throw them out start of this season I burnt them cackling away to myself. :ROFLMAO:
I splashed out £200 on the new simms lightweight boots and its defo been money well spent. Especially for the amount of hoofing about i do.

lol - but they do do big sizes, that fit! So I’m happy enough. The last pair fell to bits on the soles. That’s why I’ve aquasured the soles from The get go to try and stop them falling to bits.

westie4566

Reaction score
Crikey, if I could offer some advice regarding Vision zip waders it would be avoid them. I had a pair of Ikon zips some years ago and they leaked and leaked badly. They were replaced under warranty and the replacement ones leaked too after a very short period of time. They were also replaced under warranty and the third pair leaked too. I got a refund and bought my first pair of Simms which were very good. When they eventually gave up I tried Vision zip waders again. They leaked after only 6 weeks wear. They were returned and I was offered a warranty repair. This would have meant having them sent to a chap called Dave Gordon aka Diver Dave. I really do not like the quality of his repair work so just decided to bin them and that's when I was trying to pick between Simms and Patagonia. In all fairness I suppose, a lot of anglers seem to like Vision zip waders. I have a lot of peers who have had them fail, they have had clients who have had them fail. I have had them fail and I also have clients who have had them fail. I wouldn't touch them again. Their rods are excellent and I think their shooting heads are probably the best in the world. Cr4p waders though :oops:
Sorry - but I do get 'irked' when I see posts slagging off Diver Dave. Both myself and most folk I know have used his services for more then a decade. How his business repairs waders form the start until now is chalk and cheese. Yeah in the old days it was a bit rough and ready but did the job. These days it's totally different. I literally picked up my pair of Ikon zips from him on Wednesday which had delaminated along any crease lines in the 5 layer part. The sealing these days is all finely sprayed - you only notice it when the light shines on it and certainly no issues getting them on and off. It's not aquasure used any more, they've developed their own sealant. It's all very neat and tidy.

Oh and to further praise his service, he got me pout of a bind. I've a few pinholes in my non zip Ikons I bought at the start of the season which was causing some cold dampness. I could have soldiered on and put both pairs over to him at the end of the season. Bless him, he told me last Sunday am to drop the Zip ones off in the afternoon to him and he'd see what he could do....hopefully getting them back tomorrow. Those were the ones he'd fixed for me by last Wednesday.

It it wasn't for the fact they're in the back of the motor and I can't be assed going back out - I'd turn thm inside out and take a pic to prove my point.

It's a bit like saying you wouldn't buy a Skoda because they really were rubbish in the 70's!:)

D

Deleted member 21259

Sorry - but I do get 'irked' when I see posts slagging off Diver Dave. Both myself and most folk I know have used his services for more then a decade. How his business repairs waders form the start until now is chalk and cheese. Yeah in the old days it was a bit rough and ready but did the job. These days it's totally different. I literally picked up my pair of Ikon zips from him on Wednesday which had delaminated along any crease lines in the 5 layer part. The sealing these days is all finely sprayed - you only notice it when the light shines on it and certainly no issues getting them on and off. It's not aquasure used any more, they've developed their own sealant. It's all very neat and tidy.

Oh and to further praise his service, he got me pout of a bind. I've a few pinholes in my non zip Ikons I bought at the start of the season which was causing some cold dampness. I could have soldiered on and put both pairs over to him at the end of the season. Bless him, he told me last Sunday am to drop the Zip ones off in the afternoon to him and he'd see what he could do....hopefully getting them back tomorrow. Those were the ones he'd fixed for me by last Wednesday.

It it wasn't for the fact they're in the back of the motor and I can't be assed going back out - I'd turn thm inside out and take a pic to prove my point.

It's a bit like saying you wouldn't buy a Skoda because they really were rubbish in the 70's!:)

Andy I only posted on Diver Dave because of how I found his service sadly lacking on 2 separate occasions when I sent waders to him for repair. Ironic that you mention decades because when they came back from him and I put them on I thought it was gonna take me over ten years to get them off again. If you are using him and finding the quality of his repairs suits your needs then of course carry on using him. For me personally his repair service has not been up to what I would personally expect from even a very basic repair company. I am by no means alone in this. As instructors, our waders tend to go through a lot harder road testing than regular anglers. If we could get cost effective repairs reliable repairs undertaken then of course we would do so. Anecdotally speaking only, the vast majority of instructors I know and speak to do not use him either it seems through having gone through experiences not dissimilar to my own.

clydesider

Reaction score
yeh, they're mostly unavailable or silly priced now. I'm gonna have to find a new cheapie for the season after next - the ones I bought for this season have only been worn once, sadly.

Anyhoo, if you want to take a chance, they're available on this website that I've never heard of for £41 with free delivery! They have no contact details and seem to sell a rag-bag of stuff so it's a bit of a punt.

Thanks for heads up on these waders............off now to try and put on about 3 stone for extra large!!
Mike

JoeE

Reaction score
No wader lasts when fishing around Briar shrub. Am convinced they should test them on irish rivers.