My own designed spinning rod

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
This is the first spinning rod I've made.
It's a 10'6 15-40g. This is my rod. So I don't mind having a flashy coloured blank on a spinning rod. Its the same colour as my car.
I've used a mixture of burnt and nightfall cork for the bottom handle and a full burnt top handle with blue rubberised cork for the butt and tops/bottoms if handles. I've used an alps reel seat that has hard rubber on the back for grip and so your hand doesn't freeze in the winter as its the reel seat you hold on to.
I've had a lot of help designing these.
I'd like to thank my pal Jason. He hassled me into building a spinning rod for him and gave me the specs for this and the 2 other spinning rods.
Id like to thank Liphook on here also who used a chunk of his precious spare time and tested the blanks throughly for me, worked out the guide sizes and patterns and all positions.
He tried a few different guide patterns on them and worked out the best set up was the KC guide pattern.
It's basically a large bottom guide with a smaller choker guide quite close to that then lots of single leg guides.
I believe the tournament casters and sea bass fishermen favour this pattern for distance.
I've had this out and really liked it. It cast a vision 110 no probs and absolutely launched a 20g flying c.
I will change the top of the bottom handle on future builds as the flair at the top might dig into the heel of your hand if the reel stem comes out in between your index and middle finger.
I'm fine with it as I seem to have the stem coming out next to my pinky. So my hand is further up.
Also going to put hook keepers on next to handle.
But that's what testing is for.
20210320_124120.jpg
20210320_124144.jpg
20210320_124223.jpg
20210320_124234.jpg
20210320_124525.jpg
20210320_123952.jpg

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I agree with Alan, I love that colour for a spinning rod. I also agree with your thoughts on the ringing. That’s how my bass rods are built - which are also used on the rare occasion that I spin for salmon.

I wouldn’t change the blank colour 👍

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score
Similar sort of guide setup as on my guideline lpxe spin and they work really well.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
There stunning mate a fine bit of rod building again from you I'm really looking forward to using it one thing for sure you know I'll put it through hell 👍
If there's one person I know that will defo land a load of salmon on one of my rods its you mate.
Just epoxy left to do on it now. You will get it next week bud.

Reactions: Jas

Red Spinner

Reaction score
For a hook keeper on my last build I used a PAC Snake Recoil titanium wire fly rod guide.
They cannot rust or break and will return to their original shape if they bend.
To protect the blank from hook points under wrapped with soft titanium wire.

IMG_2361.JPG

Sorry about the colours, its seen a bit of service.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
For a hook keeper on my last build I used a PAC Snake Recoil titanium wire fly rod guide.
They cannot rust or break and will return to their original shape if they bend.
To protect the blank from hook points under wrapped with soft titanium wire.

View attachment 59031

Sorry about the colours, its seen a bit of service.
I've got nice hook keepers here. They have the wee Triangular bit the folds in

Red Spinner

Reaction score
I've got nice hook keepers here. They have the wee Triangular bit the folds in

Its good we are not all alike, personally I prefer something large so it is easier to locate and hook into.

The Recoil snake is a modern version on my previous keepers that I made from stainless wire, being flexible and unbreakable they were the ideal choice for me.

Each to their own.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Don’t ask me how but I’ve just noticed I’ve had you on ignore lol? Started seeing these messages on your quotes saying you have Flying Scotsman on ignore 😂
I hope those being ignored don’t get to see this as I’ve just seen that I’ve had Sewin Fly on ignore for time lol.
Best thing is I wouldn’t know how to find the ignore button

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Don’t ask me how but I’ve just noticed I’ve had you on ignore lol? Started seeing these messages on your quotes saying you have Flying Scotsman on ignore 😂
I hope those being ignored don’t get to see this as I’ve just seen that I’ve had Sewin Fly on ignore for time lol.
Best thing is I wouldn’t know how to find the ignore button
Don't worry I've been trying to ignore you to Andrew :ROFLMAO:

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Very, very nice indeed. I love the colour rings in the handle as well as the fact that you’ve used braid friendly rings rather than double legged versions. A beautiful thing.
There's a thread on that finished rod further down too. Expect to start getting pics of your build real soon Iain. I'm starting it and another 2 tomorrow