My own designed rod no.4

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
This is the last of the rods I've designed so far other than the spinning rods which I'm dying to build. I'm away to order a run of the blanks I've designed so far and design 4 more rods.
A 10ft #7 single hander for grilse.
A 12'2" #7
13'2" 8/9
and another spinner a 9ft 5g-20g tip action.
Its a 14'9" #10 finished in a dark sort of marine blue in 6 pieces I've made all my rods travel rods.
The handle on this wasn't easy to do with each piece of cork hand cut and glued. Was real messy. Its a mixture burnt composite cork and flor. The burnt cork is a good bit heavier than normal cork and with fitting the alps reel seat down locking it doesn't need a huge reel to balance. I've found my new 8/11 classic balances it just about perfectly with no shooting head.
I will be out next week to test them all.
20210109_140844.jpg
20210109_140804.jpg
20210109_140737.jpg
20210109_140404.jpg
20210109_140152.jpg
20210109_140104.jpg
20210109_140045.jpg
20210109_140018.jpg
20210109_140006.jpg

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
I've been out and tested my rods and got on the least with this one. Its got a full action you feel into the handle. I think if I had more of a selection of heavier lines I would of found one I could cast better. But my casting is still needing a lot of work also so I'm not the best person to test them either haha.
Although I got on fantastic with my 13'6 and 12'9.
I'm building another 13'6 at the moment with a mainly flor top handle with 4 black diamonds in it.
I'm turning it on lathe right now. Just stopped for a smoke.
Its looking good so far.
I've also built this wee 9ft 7 weight single hander.
Its beautiful. I actually bought the handle for it instead of making one. Its this green and gold polished burr wood handle and matching reel seat. I've finished it in fancy gold thread too. Just waiting on a wee gold winding check for it.
I should get the spinning blanks back in a couple weeks too so looking forward to building them

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
another superb piece of work,can i ask where you get your blanks from as i would love to have a go myself
These are blanks I designed and had made myself mate.
Its a top factory in China that I gave specifications to and got them to make what I wanted in nano carbon

westie4566

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
I've been out and tested my rods and got on the least with this one. Its got a full action you feel into the handle. I think if I had more of a selection of heavier lines I would of found one I could cast better. But my casting is still needing a lot of work also so I'm not the best person to test them either haha.
Although I got on fantastic with my 13'6 and 12'9.
I'm building another 13'6 at the moment with a mainly flor top handle with 4 black diamonds in it.
I'm turning it on lathe right now. Just stopped for a smoke.
Its looking good so far.
I've also built this wee 9ft 7 weight single hander.
Its beautiful. I actually bought the handle for it instead of making one. Its this green and gold polished burr wood handle and matching reel seat. I've finished it in fancy gold thread too. Just waiting on a wee gold winding check for it.
I should get the spinning blanks back in a couple weeks t\oo so looking forward to building them
What lines have you tried on this rod so far Gordon?

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
What lines have you tried on this rod so far Gordon?
It was a 660 rage i had on it and I could get the line out but not as far as the 12'9 and not as easily.
Then i tried one if dickies lines on it think it was a 600 but a good bit longer than the rage and I couldn't get the line to unfold. It shot out as usual then collapsed before it unfolded.
Like I said I'm sure if I had tried more lines on it I could get it to work better.
But I'm still far from great at casting with numerous mistakes I still need to iron out.
Where as I picked up the 12'9 and took to that instantly with both a rage and skagit.
Dickie picked up the 13'6 and threw out all the line I was using instantly then peeled of another 15-20ft out of the reel and launched the lot second cast.
I'm really pleased with them all. Nice action feel good and easy to cast. The longer they get the more full the action gets.
I cant wait to have them all set up for you to have a play with. I need good feedback from much more experienced guys than me.

westie4566

Reaction score
It was a 660 rage i had on it and I could get the line out but not as far as the 12'9 and not as easily.
Then i tried one if dickies lines on it think it was a 600 but a good bit longer than the rage and I couldn't get the line to unfold. It shot out as usual then collapsed before it unfolded.
Like I said I'm sure if I had tried more lines on it I could get it to work better.
But I'm still far from great at casting with numerous mistakes I still need to iron out.
Where as I picked up the 12'9 and took to that instantly with both a rage and skagit.
Dickie picked up the 13'6 and threw out all the line I was using instantly then peeled of another 15-20ft out of the reel and launched the lot second cast.
I'm really pleased with them all. Nice action feel good and easy to cast. The longer they get the more full the action gets.
I cant wait to have them all set up for you to have a play with. I need good feedback from much more experienced guys than me.
I've prob got a few more lines that we can try on that new rod Gordon. (y)

Petch94

Reaction score
Hi, I hope you don't mind me asking but what do you use for the thin stripes of blue in the handle? I'm toying with having a go myself, goes without saying but your rods look fantastic

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
I have one of Gordon's rods made to my colour scheme and I'm more than happy with the finished product.
I had a bit of trouble matching a line to the rod which is 11ft6 4 piece switch rod for a 7 line.
I eventually matched it with a maxcatch switch line and it casts a 10ft poly and a snelda without a problem. I have to add at a fraction of the cost of a Rio line all matched up with a maxcatch classic reel a perfect balance.
It roll casts the full head of the switch line without thinking about it and opening it up 30 yards is easily achieved.
I got pictures sent throughout the build to see I was happy with it.
So in summary a great rod for the smaller pools and rivers we have and a joy to use.
The only downside is I didn't connect with a big silver Springer.
Thanks Gordon for the nice wee addition to my armoury.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I have also decided to take the plunge and so have commissioned Gordon to build me a rod. It will be the first time I have gone down this route and as I said to Gordon, it feels like being a wee kid in a sweetie shop for the first time!

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I have also decided to take the plunge and so have commissioned Gordon to build me a rod. It will be the first time I have gone down this route and as I said to Gordon, it feels like being a wee kid in a sweetie shop for the first time!
I'm expecting my delivery of blanks anyway now and am really looking forward to cracking on with your rod Iain.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Another shout for Gordon's rod...
I've just put the 13'6- 9/10 through its test and I'm absolutely delighted with the outcome.

I tried 3 different lines
Rage hover 600 grain and 10ft fast sink and copper tube.

Maxcatch Skagit 600 grain with 10ft t14 and 5ft fast sink poly and same tube as above.

Rio skagit max short 650 grain and tip set up as above.

All of these lines flew with the rod ...mine is on order.... brilliant and couldn't be happier with the outcome.

A solid thumbs up from me.👍