My local river in photos

Andrew B

Reaction score
Beautiful pics of your local river. We really ought to start a thread of folk posting in pics of their local rivers? Wether they’re just a tiny Brook/ Stream or a mighty big river as this looks to be? I think we all have an attachment to our local river esp if as in my case it was an early playground long before I picked up a rod.

Nice to see how Poland and many other Eastern European countries are now such well recognised Fly fishing destinations for wild trout and big Grayling? After all it was these countries and it’s fly fisherman that took the World by storm with their Czech and Euro Nymping techniques.

cloner

Reaction score
Beautiful pics of your local river. We really ought to start a thread of folk posting in pics of their local rivers? Wether they’re just a tiny Brook/ Stream or a mighty big river as this looks to be? I think we all have an attachment to our local river esp if as in my case it was an early playground long before I picked up a rod.

Nice to see how Poland and many other Eastern European countries are now such well recognised Fly fishing destinations for wild trout and big Grayling? After all it was these countries and it’s fly fisherman that took the World by storm with their Czech and Euro Nymping techniques.

No longer so great. Heat and drought affects all river worldwide - San is no exception. But like you I started my fly fishing journey on the river San and love it despite being so exploited by now. Without stock fish it would be deserted. I love to play with my light DH rig and streamer or wet fly. Dry fly is an essence, especially for grayling. It's not been about the numbers for a while now but it's sad to see the river dying. I've seen that decreasing number of fish all over the world in the recent years and after my June trip to Swedish Lapland I started to see little hope for the planet at current pace it's being destructed. Only the landscapes remain ... for now.

Andrew B

Reaction score
No longer so great. Heat and drought affects all river worldwide - San is no exception. But like you I started my fly fishing journey on the river San and love it despite being so exploited by now. Without stock fish it would be deserted. I love to play with my light DH rig and streamer or wet fly. Dry fly is an essence, especially for grayling. It's not been about the numbers for a while now but it's sad to see the river dying. I've seen that decreasing number of fish all over the world in the recent years and after my June trip to Swedish Lapland I started to see little hope for the planet at current pace it's being destructed. Only the landscapes remain ... for now.
I’ve not travelled the world for my fishing, but I have travelled and fished in Scotland, Wales and England and yes I’ve come to the same conclusions and that includes my local little river. I was kind of hoping up in the Arctic circle though, that the rivers and fish would still be pristine😩
Just one thing of many but I was looking at pics of my street from the 1980s and there was hardly any cars on the street or on the road like we have now? It’s hard to find any hope at the rate of man made destruction except to say that im always amazed how a bunch of birds like Waxwings, which come over here some winters and how they will find and make use of habitat in supermarket car parks with planted trees with berries.
Money always seems to come above saving Salmon

jimmythefish

Reaction score
I’m with you there Andy mate,had a look too,back in the 80s,we had only 2 lanes in the high street,now there are 4,the council have went off there heads,yet the new bypass 300 yards away has only 2 lanes. They also filled in the beautiful huge town fountain with clay to put in geraniums,instead of the beautiful big fountain spraying out water in 3 tiers. Could you see that happening in Rome,no more “3 coins in a fountain,but you could take photographs of the geraniums”,the romans would go nuts! ! ! . Warm weather has had added complete destruction to our wee river too,loads of salmon parr and trout all gasping for oxygen,a terrible sight,it’s beyond me,why they never opened the sluice gates at the top of our river,and let more water down,out of the lough,I’m sure wind surfing and canoeing would take second place to the salmon and trout population,but no,they never bothered,but I’m for one,won’t be taking it lightly,I’m onto my local mp,to ask why,did it not even strike them to do this.( my best guess ). It just didn’t strike them to do it. I see the Green Party have got themselves into government here in Scotland yesterday,so let’s see lads,if all the shouting they done about saving habitats happens,remember they were the boys who wanted all farming salmon to be done on land,so nows there one and only chance,we are watching you Green Party,we are,we really,really are…..jimmy.

cloner

Reaction score
Final retrospection of the trout season finale. One of my favourite spots which holds trout, grayling, big hucho taimen and even perch. Here at very low water level.

IMG_20210909_225738_180.jpg