My cousins first rod build without pics

Andrew B

Reaction score
I know it’s a salmon forum but after seeing my cousins first build an 8ft brook rod I promised him I’d get his some pointers.
He’s never been very dexterous with his hands so my first impressions were “oh dear”. That was until I had a cast with it and oh my oh my was I impressed with how it felt, cast and loaded.
He’d be the first to admit that Hes not the neatest worker,but by God he’s a tryer and as I told him, had it been crap I would of said lol but truthfully it felt like a proper dry fly purist rod.
His queries were how do you know how to space the rings?
Would a rod turner help him with neatness?
And what should he look to be improving on with his next brook rod....ie he’s not varnished the whippings yet?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3847

I know it’s a salmon forum but after seeing my cousins first build an 8ft brook rod I promised him I’d get his some pointers.
He’s never been very dexterous with his hands so my first impressions were “oh dear”. That was until I had a cast with it and oh my oh my was I impressed with how it felt, cast and loaded.
He’d be the first to admit that having been pulled from school he isn’t the brightest but by God he’s a tryer and as I told him, had it been crap I would of said lol but truthfully it felt like a proper dry fly purist rod.
And what should he look to be improving on with his next brook rod....ie he’s not varnished the whippings yet?
Im sure if he got in touch with TFS on here he would help the lad out(y)

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
He’d be the first to admit that Hes not the neatest worker,but by God he’s a tryer and as I told him, had it been crap I would of said lol but truthfully it felt like a proper dry fly purist rod.

For ring spacing, check Sage or Temple Fork Outfitters websites for their self-build blanks. Find a matching length to your build and use the spacing from that. It may not be perfect, but you won’t be far off.

Alternatively just google ‘Guide Spacing Chart’, there’s loads out there.

Bonito

Reaction score
Here`s a starter for your guide spacing but I`d use them as a guide only (no pun intended). Two supposedly identical blanks will be slightly different so tape the guides in the generic positions, feed line through and check the bend and that the line is following it smoothly. Butt guide (stripper) from centre of reel seat to the stripper a decent starting point has always been that it landed 26 to 32inch from reel seat centre.

Last edited: