My casting

Kane

Reaction score
Both Hands are needed i said,power can come from either hand upper or lower:p

It is a two handed rod after all. You didn't specify what they were used for so I assumed you meant power application.

heres a good caster talking about "pause":rolleyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccpqtRQbe4Q

He is a good caster and he does say the word pause. From what I can see in the video he is raising his two hands up into position during this 'pause'.

To stick with the same caster, there is a nice snake roll at 1.00, the micro second where it could be argued that there is a 'pause' with the arms, you can see he is transitioning into the forward cast with lead coming from the body. I wouldn't consider that a pause.

http://youtu.be/WrOBcLklUjs

Last edited:

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
It is a two handed rod after all. You didn't specify what they were used for so I assumed you meant power application.

He is a good caster and he does say the word pause. From what I can see in the video he is raising his two hands up into position during this 'pause'.

To stick with the same caster, there is a nice snake roll at 1.00, the micro second where it could be argued that there is a 'pause' with the arms, you can see he is transitioning into the forward cast with lead coming from the body. I wouldn't consider that a pause.

http://youtu.be/WrOBcLklUjs

i would consider weight shift(assuming thats what you mean by leading with the body) as an advanced step and not a basic spey cast,which i was advising on

Springer

Reaction score
The problem with referring to Youtube for advice is that there is all sorts out there and because something has been committed to film it doesn't guarantee it is right, sometimes it is, other times it isn't and if you dont know then how are you to move forward?

Generally you find three kinds of casters/instructors out there.

Those who know.

Those who dont know.

And finally those who dont know that they dont know.

How do you know which ones are worth listening to and which ones to avoid?

Ive found from watching others that neither being famous, being a proven winner or being well decorated with lots of letters behind your name from various casting organisations doesn't guarantee that what they say is what they do or that in fact its even correct.

I dont want to get drawn into this thread or make comment on the people who are featured here as some are right and some are very wrong and personally I dont need the ear ache that comes with telling the truth.

What I would do is encourage people who want to learn about fly casting to think about things themselves, dont just listen to what you are told and believe it, quite often it can be wrong. Ive watched demos and videos where its quite clear that its wrong.

Only a few years ago I chuckled when I overheard a woman directly in front of me who was watching a famous caster doing a demo, she said to her husband that what the caster was saying wasn't happening in his casts and it wasn't possible. The husband dismissed her quickly out of hand as he was very wrapped up in the demo and clearly hung on every word - I dont know if the wife was a caster or not but she certainly had a keen eye for detail and was indeed correct ;)

Springer

Reaction score
I would encourage people who are interested to consider two things that are very relevant to this thread.

1. The path a fly line takes is always directly influenced by the path the rod tip has taken, regardless of the speed or quite often even tempo.

This can clearly be understood if you look at the differences with competition casters v regular ones. The regular caster will quite often gently sweep his line into the d-loop whereas a competition caster will aggressively drag it back at significantly higher speed, if both are done right then a good d-loop and anchor shape and position will result. With regard to tempo, I have an instructor friend who teaches the snake roll using very different tempos to myself yet I can clearly see it works for him and his pupils but then again so does mine. I use my method as I think it makes it easier to learn but I expect my friend would say the same. :)

2. What is a pause?

Is a pause when you stand motionless like a statue and wait for something to happen or could it be a pause in a part of the cast while still moving in another area in readiness for the next part? For example, if a rod is swept back to a position in the back cast of say 45 degrees behind and then held there at that angle while the caster then raises his arms a little has there been a pause or not? - the answer could be yes, no or both :)

Piker20

Reaction score
As far as possible and wiggle it back in with pauses and rips. Repeat ad nauseam.