My casting

Springer

Reaction score
Do you have the video file so we can see things at normal speed?

bankwheel

Reaction score
no Ian has the video file Alan but Bex and I have downloaded the Hudl app and will be doing more filming over the winter

Dryfly

Reaction score
Braver man than me for posting a cast :)
This kind of analysis would be brilliant with 3D filming. Did you find using the file helped improvement when you looked back on it?

bankwheel

Reaction score
Yes I did, it's sometimes hard to understand when someone is just telling you but when you can clearly see it, it's easier to understand.
If you go on Ian's YouTube channel there is a couple more videos

bankwheel

Reaction score
We use wool on the end, the big rainbows go daft for it, there are some seriously big fish in there and they are in great condition. I wish the salmon were as easy to catch :)

Piker20

Reaction score
Very useful video. I'm definitely guilty of that left hand late move. Will try to think about that this season and practice right.

(Smolt)

Reaction score
For the Single Spey cast I try to use a Climbing Curve as shown by by Robert Gillespie in this video. It works well for me, but looks at odds to what is being described here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSYnDzuwIac&feature=related

I wonder if Robert can shed any light on this, but I think the climbing curve example as demonstrated by Robert is more suited to a shorter head than say a longer Spey line?

Great breakdown for the caster in question to learn from!;)

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
Very useful video. I'm definitely guilty of that left hand late move. Will try to think about that this season and practice right.

start pushing the bottom hand forward and up at the same time as pulling the top hand back and up progressively "pause for the anchor"then pull the triger(pull that bottom hand back):cool:
the dominant energy can come from either hand!the important thing is BOTH HANDS ARE USED THROUGHOUT the back and forward cast

bankwheel

Reaction score
start pushing the bottom hand forward and up at the same time as pulling the top hand back and up progressively "pause for the anchor"then pull the triger(pull that bottom hand back):cool:
the dominant energy can come from either hand!the important thing is BOTH HANDS ARE USED THROUGHOUT the back and forward cast

I would not put a pause into the equation, I find it better to keep the whole cast as one fluid movement, if you pause then the energy is lost in the rod, it's not easy and everyone has different opinions of how much top and bottom hand to use but keeping it smooth seems to bring the best results

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
I would not put a pause into the equation, I find it better to keep the whole cast as one fluid movement, if you pause then the energy is lost in the rod, it's not easy and everyone has different opinions of how much top and bottom hand to use but keeping it smooth seems to bring the best results

the pause is only short with short compact lines and with skagits it almost seems seamless,but the longer the line the more of a pause is needed using the same rod lenght of course

bankwheel

Reaction score
the pause is only short with short compact lines and with skagits it almost seems seamless,but the longer the line the more of a pause is needed using the same rod lenght of course

Interesting, If I pause the casting is poor, I find I need to keep everything moving, you can also start the forward cast before the whole of the D loop is formed behind you as shown by Simon Gawesworth in an earlier post. Really though if that works for you then thats what its all about I suppose. Its amazing the level of detail that a simple Spey casts generates. :)

ibm59

Reaction score
Oh , crikey.
The " pause " rears it's ugly head again.:D

I used to think it was unavoidable , but I'm not so sure nowadays.;)

Kane

Reaction score
the important thing is BOTH HANDS ARE USED THROUGHOUT the back and forward cast

The upper hand does not have to be used for power application at any point during a cast.

You are right if you define pause as a pause in the application of power, however you can still move your hands and circle up into position during this 'pause'.
If pause is defined as a total physical pause in anticipation of the line moving back through the air and touching down then I would consider this to be incorrect technique for any length of line, in particular with longer lines.

allysshrimp

Reaction score
Pause……….A temporary stop or rest.
To Pause………..To cease or suspend an action temporarily.

If anybody sees me doing this when I’m fishing, please give me a prod. :D

minitube

Reaction score
I wonder if Robert can shed any light on this, but I think the climbing curve example as demonstrated by Robert is more suited to a shorter head than say a longer Spey line?

No Liam, it is suited to all lines. Stroke length alters with line length used of course.

Last edited:

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
The upper hand does not have to be used for power application at any point during a cast.

Both Hands are needed i said,power can come from either hand upper or lower:p

You are right if you define pause as a pause in the application of power, however you can still move your hands and circle up into position during this 'pause'.
If pause is defined as a total physical pause in anticipation of the line moving back through the air and touching down then I would consider this to be incorrect technique for any length of line, in particular with longer lines.

heres a good caster talking about "pause":rolleyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccpqtRQbe4Q

Last edited:

allysshrimp

Reaction score

Interesting video here gentlemen. No mention o pause........but both hands. :)