Multi-Tip : Polyleader or not?

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Just invested in a Gaelforce EMT 9/10 Multi-Tip for my 14ft'er

Can't find any advice if you need or recommend to use a Polyleader (or Versi leader etc ) on the end of the 15ft kit tip before your mono is looped on?

Rennie

Reaction score
I'm a great believer in the modern shooting head multi tips and use them a lot.Now on all of them to a one whichever 15ft tip is in place I always fit at least a 5ft polytip(coupled to 5ft of tippet material) of a similar sink rate or faster.It helps the castability and presentation no end, it will also open out the usefulness and versatility of the line too!.
If I'm fishing big rivers I'd change the 5ft poly. for a 10ft one, same thinking applies as to sink rate.It won't make any difference to the casting of the line as such, in fact it usually helps as you'll get a better anchor and better final presentation.
I use the same methodology for my Guideline DDC Connect Multi tips and my Rio SSVT(albeit that utilises 10ft tips),I also do the same with a Quick Spey multi tip full line on occasion.
I treat any multi tip head in the same way as any other normal one piece head in that I aim for an overall leader length close to that of the rod whilst maintaining the sink rate close to the flee.
I find it works very well ,almost to the point where I prefer such a set up over a full sinking head and poly that I'd normally use to fish a well sunk flee.
I came to the conclusion some time ago short very fast sinking tips aren't allways good for presentation or hooking, a slower longer curve between floating body and the flee is much better.Also its far more likely that the flee is down where you want it to be at fish level, but not with yards of sinking belly also passing alongside and through any fish.If salar is a little cagey, its easier to get a second pass at the fish without unduly scaring them or worse still fouling fish as a full lines not passing amongst them.
Modern dual density tips and a grade faster poly help you get this flee 1st presentation I so think any way!.The slower curve also encourages the flee to keep level, and not head up, tail down as can happen with shorter fast tips and short leaders!
Pedro.

Last edited:

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Great stuff guys!
Thanks for the detail Rennie - goes a long way to understanding how to go about it.
I've plenty of 10 ft Poly's in my armoury plus a couple of 5's so will have a go once the Ribble gets back down to a sensible level......

budge

Reaction score
Thanks for the detail Rennie - goes a long way to understanding how to go about it.
I've plenty of 10 ft Poly's in my armoury plus a couple of 5's so will have a go once the Ribble gets back down to a sensible level......[/QUOTE]

See you in June then

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

acerspader

Reaction score
Interesting replies. I have been using mackenzie multi tip fly line over the past few years. These have 15ft tip. I have found 10ft poly leader is too much for the line. Only tried poly leader with float and intermediate 15ft tip. Found turn over was harder and less efficient. Found 6-7ft worked ok. Not tried poly leader with sink 3/4 or sink 6/7 tip.

Rennie

Reaction score
Its allways a possibility acerspader if your heads are tuned to the highest casting weight for your rod, the addition of a longer poly could just tip the balance that little bit.
I've preferred my heads tuned right down the middle allowing a little lee way for casting a bit extra or for changes in casting style techniques where necessary.
Being primarily a Guideline rod and head user, they seem to be designed that way too and to date I've been very comfy in casting most any poly off my multi tips.I use the 10/11 set up primarily on my 15ft LPXe and it weighs in at 42g,it also casts very well on my 15ft NRX(very very well actually!),but that rod usually casts Mackenzie heads which weigh in at 44g for the same 10/11 rating-I cast those with 10ft polys too!.
I've got DDC kits in 8/9,9/10 and 10/11 cast from 13ft,13ft 7ins./14ft and 15ft rods and the concept is working very well for me.
Pedro.

christian roulleau

Reaction score
Completely agree with Rennie, being careful to put a poly of a density higher than the tip.
I am adept of lines a little under loaded and this allows a
better anchorage that compensates for the lightness of the line

noeyedeer

Reaction score
What prompted me to try the Gaelforce Multi-Tip was, last week I was on the Tay. River level & flow demanded a heavier leader (10ft Sink 7 Versi) which I fitted to a Mackenzie Float/Int G2 head. Casting across the flow was directly into a very strong headwind with even stronger gusts. (some of the guys only tried a few casts & called it in).

Main issues were with getting the tip lifted in the first place, then once anchored getting it suitably airborne !
It felt a bit like the Mackenzie tip was lacking some turnover into that strong wind, but was more likely my amateur casting technique......

I solved it by fitting an Airflo Rage Hover/Int which sent out the tip plus a 1.5 inch WG copper tube..

Just to satisfy myself I went out in the storm last weekend on a heavy Ribble water and tried some casts with an old Hardy Sink 2/3 head I got off Springer a while back. It actually went out ok in such "non-fly" situation.

The multi-tip will give no doubt a whole different setup that I can have a play with in such conditions.

Last edited:

Rennie

Reaction score
With these things noeyedeer, you need to give them a fair old try.You might not like me for this but,I'd say a 10ft Versileader even off an inty tip wouldn't have been owt like deep enough for a river like the Tay.I fish similar in Sept. on Tay when its low water and such is the carry behind the flow its not uncommon to see the fish show on top as they take the flee-even with an inty tip and 10ft 7 i.p.s. Versileader!. Now the wind sounded a reet pig and won't have done you any favours at all on the casting front.
As ever having a play, seeing what works for you and indeed the best way to do it for you are whats important.
One other thing in that, you'll only ever get so far using Airflo Polyleaders or Rio Versileaders, they at times won't be anything like heavy enough or long enough to get down where you need to be.The 15ft multi or Rio Versitips tips will be much better at getting down and indeed deeper down, however it usually comes down to sometimes you just have to fish a fully sunk line/head,its the only way, but that you'll have to teach yourself for where you fish and in a wide range of circumstances to fully learn and understand that.
See me on t'Ribble some time and I'll explain in a few mins what takes absolutely ages to type out-and that's without typo's mistakes etc.
Be a pleasure to help out.
Pedro.

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Thanks again Rennie for the advice - agree about the Tay too, some of the others were on a Skagit with 15ft T14.

Re chat: hope to see you on the river!

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Update: Took a chance with better water to test out the multi tip Gaelforce. Used it with the inter and sink 3 tips, each with matching 10ft poly leader.

Went out like a dream!
Much less effort tbh than my other lines.

Will be fishing with it a few days this week so will see how I get on.

Compared the sink 3 tip with a mates Rio Versitip - guess what, they’re the same, colour, loop etc.

May be useful when needing new tips assuming they’re v similar or same profile.

Handel

Reaction score
Compared the sink 3 tip with a mates Rio Versitip - guess what, they’re the same, colour, loop etc.

May be useful when needing new tips assuming they’re v similar or same profile.

Don't go anywhere where you need to rely on this without checking first. I asked James Chalmers (Gaelforce) whether they were the same and he said not as the profile of his line is different from the Rio line - unless of course Rio have since copied his line:D

noeyedeer

Reaction score
Don't go anywhere where you need to rely on this without checking first. I asked James Chalmers (Gaelforce) whether they were the same and he said not as the profile of his line is different from the Rio line - unless of course Rio have since copied his line:D

Thanks. Not easy to compare profiles as my mates tip was a 10ft and the supplied multi-tip is 15ft.

Gaelforce also sell spare tips so probably go for that then if it becomes needed.

Gman

Reaction score
I'm a great believer in the modern shooting head multi tips and use them a lot.Now on all of them to a one whichever 15ft tip is in place I always fit at least a 5ft polytip(coupled to 5ft of tippet material) of a similar sink rate or faster.It helps the castability and presentation no end, it will also open out the usefulness and versatility of the line too!.
If I'm fishing big rivers I'd change the 5ft poly. for a 10ft one, same thinking applies as to sink rate.It won't make any difference to the casting of the line as such, in fact it usually helps as you'll get a better anchor and better final presentation.
I use the same methodology for my Guideline DDC Connect Multi tips and my Rio SSVT(albeit that utilises 10ft tips),I also do the same with a Quick Spey multi tip full line on occasion.
I treat any multi tip head in the same way as any other normal one piece head in that I aim for an overall leader length close to that of the rod whilst maintaining the sink rate close to the flee.
I find it works very well ,almost to the point where I prefer such a set up over a full sinking head and poly that I'd normally use to fish a well sunk flee.
I came to the conclusion some time ago short very fast sinking tips aren't allways good for presentation or hooking, a slower longer curve between floating body and the flee is much better.Also its far more likely that the flee is down where you want it to be at fish level, but not with yards of sinking belly also passing alongside and through any fish.If salar is a little cagey, its easier to get a second pass at the fish without unduly scaring them or worse still fouling fish as a full lines not passing amongst them.
Modern dual density tips and a grade faster poly help you get this flee 1st presentation I so think any way!.The slower curve also encourages the flee to keep level, and not head up, tail down as can happen with shorter fast tips and short leaders!
Pedro.
was looking for a thread on this - great advice. So on 14ft Rod with a 15ft tip sensible to go something like 5ft polyleader and 5-7 ft nylon to fly?

Rennie

Reaction score
Gman, don't go too long a final nylon tippet, I find about 5 to 6 ft just fine, often going shorter on really fast set ups.However if your fishing an intermediate or slow sinking set up I'll go a bit longer- but only if I'm trying to control a flee's depth at say 2ft ish down for running fish.
Pedro.