Mulcair

reddie

Reaction score
Remember that photo above from 7 years ago alright. Uproar over it being fake

Nice to see videos of salmon running the Newport River. Hopefully the run is up this year

Mulcairman

Reaction score
Remember that photo above from 7 years ago alright. Uproar over it being fake

Nice to see videos of salmon running the Newport River. Hopefully the run is up this year
Ya i said that , i was sent that other day as i said in post that was not this year i knew from colour of mill in photo but good run did run river also , the newport run ive only seen video s but its good sign fish up their early in numbers some years that part of rivet gets its big run very late ,ive seen salmon run it as late as mid jan! So id hope theirs more to come! Sorry for posting that pic was sent to me i just put it up but i did correct it as soon as i looked at it right!

reddie

Reaction score
Out of interest, how long ago was it since you saw salmon running the Newport River in January? On the Bandon, we had a run of 200 plus fish in January 2010 I think it was also. All late running, fresh silver fish coming in to spawn and migrate back downstream all within a few days!

Mulcairman

Reaction score
Out of interest, how long ago was it since you saw salmon running the Newport River in January? On the Bandon, we had a run of 200 plus fish in January 2010 I think it was also. All late running, fresh silver fish coming in to spawn and migrate back downstream all within a few days!
Youd see them most years a lot of this fish are fish that stay in the shannon and are held up at obstacles so take time to get up river , but i have seen fresh fish run main river in jan,look at mulcair counter reports ,i now doubt they are accurate but even they say something which is totaly wrong claiming very big run of springers ! Impossible ,these are late salmon held up at annacotty in high water and some genuine late fresh fish ! Last time i saw run of fresh fish in jan was a few years ago , mulcair does get a few springers in its day the run was ,sometimes in april youd see fish good fish ascend the old weir youd always have some march fish , but contary to what pepole think a small number of salmon enter mulcair late december early jan ,spawn and leave id say most rivers have it! Hows the bandon doing and do you believe counter figures im starting to doubt them ! Heres a few pics i got today from someone who lives on the mulcair ,this is the 60 s i think he said days like this were common ok their not monsters but very good size some of them , his biggest fish ever was 22 pound ok not a monster but a fine salmon for mulcair river was very good up the 90 s i once caught 9 fish in one day between me and my friend all grilse after work ! And we stoped as we had enough biggest we ever got 20 pound weight ,biggest i got 18 pound late september newport river a real dirty spring fish i obviously released him he prob was 20 plus fresh hope we get to see days like that again.!

Attachments

• 20211013_154358.jpg
    20211013_154358.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 20211013_154339.jpg
    20211013_154339.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41

reddie

Reaction score
Some great fish in those old photos!

The Bandon counter is no longer in operation. It was used to estimate a partial count and there was always a debate as to what proportion of fish used the pass and what percentage traversed the weir itself. Every counter and site is different so some work better than others.

Bandon is doing well at the moment and like many other rivers nationwide we've seen very good runs this year and last. Some big fish still about also which is heartening to see. Witnessed one in a pool in the 20-25lb bracket a few weeks back with another fish beside it 15lb plus.

Mulcairman

Reaction score
Some great fish in those old photos!

The Bandon counter is no longer in operation. It was used to estimate a partial count and there was always a debate as to what proportion of fish used the pass and what percentage traversed the weir itself. Every counter and site is different so some work better than others.

Bandon is doing well at the moment and like many other rivers nationwide we've seen very good runs this year and last. Some big fish still about also which is heartening to see. Witnessed one in a pool in the 20-25lb bracket a few weeks back with another fish beside it 15lb plus.
Thats great to hear , mulcair used to get big fish this winter im.goinga take a good watch on the river sèe can i see a big salmon i used to in the past, glad the bandon has had good years theirs a stream beside me within 2 miles that has salmon not a famous river its just a stream but gets salmon used to always have big fish in one pool ill check it out , ill defo.film.next run on mulcair !