Much Improved Spring Runs in Ireland:Bit later than usual

KerrySalmon

Reaction score
Just interested to see if the improvement noted in Munster rivers is nationwide. Good catches in Killarney, Waterville, Munster Blackwater. All fish in excellent order but run appears to be at end here in parts of Kerry

S

salmosalar1

Just interested to see if the improvement noted in Munster rivers is nationwide. Good catches in Killarney, Waterville, Munster Blackwater. All fish in excellent order but run appears to be at end here in parts of Kerry
Late and patchy in the Western rivers ! Low water temp ?? Small numbers of Grilse have been seen earlier than usual.

KerrySalmon

Reaction score
Late and patchy in the Western rivers ! Low water temp ?? Small numbers of Grilse have been seen earlier than usual.
Fished Carramore in March and there appeared to be a good run. Lost two fish but my friends got two.
Very few fish here until mid April but consistent runs until mid May. Waterville might have over 120 fish this year which is comparable to 2011
Killarney had great run in April also.

KerrySalmon

Reaction score
mighty poor on the Slaney I am afraid[/QUOTE
Saw that but maybe Slaney fish did not survive well at sea. I noted that many underperforming rivers have got reasonable runs this year but late. All the fish that I have seen have been large and very well conditioned.
We have had five years of very poor grilse runs here but hope for better this year.

reddie

Reaction score
The run on the Bandon has also been encouraging so far this season with an excellent quality of fish. Last years grilse run was also decent so that group of fish seem to have done quite well.

GeeBee

Reaction score
yes, the Blackwater catches seem to be the best for many a year.

the fish have a good average size too - many seem to be 12lb+.

as far as I can tell, this is also the case in England - with both the Hampshire Avon and the Severn having very good springs.

Last edited: