MOURINHO - NEW JOB

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
He used to have a bit of charisma and the ability to get the best out of players. The last few years he just comes across as a whingeing curmudgeon and probably alienating rather than inspiring his players.

Maybe its a cash thing - get a pay off for being sacked by one club and sign a big new deal at another club soon afterwards.

acercon3

Reaction score
He used to have a bit of charisma and the ability to get the best out of players. The last few years he just comes across as a whingeing curmudgeon and probably alienating rather than inspiring his players.

Maybe its a cash thing - get a pay off for being sacked by one club and sign a big new deal at another club soon afterwards.
I’m not so sure that it is a money thing. Jose is rolling in the stuff.
He certainly seems to be not so ’special ‘ anymore .
Having said that I’d still like to see him work some magic and win again but am surprised that he has pinned his hopes on Roma.

Henke

Reaction score
Well he stays the best paid manager.
He "normally" gets sacked and then gets the remaining amount according to his contract - and then start up a new job.....so for years he has had monthly payment from 2 employers !
Ofcourse I do know that when sacked he will get his salary upfront (remaining contract).

His football philosophy I am not fan of..... But he shall not be underestimated !

Auldghillie

Reaction score
He "normally" gets sacked and then gets the remaining amount according to his contract - and then start up a new job.....so for years he has had monthly payment from 2 employers !
Ofcourse I do know that when sacked he will get his salary upfront (remaining contract).

His football philosophy I am not fan of..... But he shall not be underestimated !
According to the press he’s been a nice boy this time and saved Spurs £13.8m. Much more behind this story methinks. Pettiness by Levy ?

Handel

Reaction score

Contracts don't work that way any longer. Strictly he has been on enforced leave since they "fired" him and paid monthly, free to find a new job but once he starts the new job Spurs stop paying him. So as Auldghillie says, he has saved Spurs a lot of money.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
I wish I had got rewarded for failure!

As much as I dislike his style and everything that comes with his side show.

Did he really fail at Spurs?

He took them to a cup final and never got the chance to play it. A trophy would have been a success for spurs. Hell, given their empty trophy cabinet a final is a success for Spurs.

I think Levy gambled and got rid before he knew he was stuck with Jose and his toxic mess had he actually won against city.

Jose was always anti football. His teams are functional and effective rather than entertaining. Italy will suit him and his negativity perfectly.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
As much as I dislike his style and everything that comes with his side show.

Did he really fail at Spurs?

He took them to a cup final and never got the chance to play it. A trophy would have been a success for spurs. Hell, given their empty trophy cabinet a final is a success for Spurs.

I think Levy gambled and got rid before he knew he was stuck with Jose and his toxic mess had he actually won against city.

Jose was always anti football. His teams are functional and effective rather than entertaining. Italy will suit him and his negativity perfectly.
Lost the dressing-room is likely the root cause. Dressing mercenaries down in public seems to be a poor form of motivation. But what do I know.

I thought the defence let him down and the deli man - what was up there ?

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Lost the dressing-room is likely the root cause. Dressing mercenaries down in public seems to be a poor form of motivation. But what do I know.

He definitely attacks the biggest characters and the weakest in the dressing room. He's highly abrasive. It works for some not for all and it has a limited time span.

How many times have we all had that style managing you in work? You stick it awhile, especially if you see results but after a bit it grinds you down and there's only 1 outcome I find after that.

I'd not have him about the place.. just a pity we did until Ole took the wheel 😉

Auldghillie

Reaction score
He definitely attacks the biggest characters and the weakest in the dressing room. He's highly abrasive. It works for some not for all and it has a limited time span.

How many times have we all had that style managing you in work? You stick it awhile, especially if you see results but after a bit it grinds you down and there's only 1 outcome I find after that.

I'd not have him about the place.. just a pity we did until Ole took the wheel 😉
Agree, no class at all. I was lucky, only one bad boss at work but he made a fortune for shareholders so was untouchable.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Agree, no class at all. I was lucky, only one bad boss at work but he made a fortune for shareholders so was untouchable.

Had 1 or 2 and we're kinda in that situ now. I just ignore him and do my own thing, I know what I've to do. If he's a problem he knows where I am. We rarely speak 🤣

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Had 1 or 2 and we're kinda in that situ now. I just ignore him and do my own thing, I know what I've to do. If he's a problem he knows where I am. We rarely speak 🤣
Regretfully, he was the chairman and CE whom I worked for personally. That’s when I retired to the river, best thing I ever did until catch-and-release intervened with accompanying bureaucracy. We have more scientists than salmon now. AG

Henke

Reaction score
Contracts don't work that way any longer. Strictly he has been on enforced leave since they "fired" him and paid monthly, free to find a new job but once he starts the new job Spurs stop paying him. So as Auldghillie says, he has saved Spurs a lot of money.
Okay ! I did not know that ! Thanks for the info 👍👍

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Enough about yesterdays "special one", what about the Man City/. Chelsea Champioins league final, two special teams bursting with talent, some of the players, quality young English players, will be good to watch, especially for a neutral, watching for quality players at their peak, hard one to call, but should be interesting.

Red Spinner

Reaction score
Word is that the day before he was 'sacked' the Spurs owner told him about the clubs involvement in the ESL and JM refused to go along with the plans.