Most robust Breathable waders?

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Can anybody recommend some quality breathable waders? My Scierra ones lasted 10 years before leaking. My SONIK ones lasted 3 trips before both feet gave in.

I don't mind paying to stay dry. I've just heard bad things about the latest SIMMS waders.
Thanks

Tangled

Reaction score
None of them are safe buys no matter how much you pay for them. I buy cheap ones and replace them every year.

mark22

Reaction score
Been using a pair of boot foot vision ikons the last 5 seasons and still no leaks, best waders I've ever owned with some brands lucky to last a season without leaks.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

MCXFisher

Reaction score
I still have a pair of the original Ikon Zip, 13 or 14 seasons, including combat trout fishing. However, as a result of multiple visits to Diver Dave they’re no longer very breathable.

Their successor, Series 2 Ikon Zip, have just completed their 6th season and will need a first visit to DD owing to micro-leakage on the last day.

Given that experience I see no reason to look beyond Vision.

Pompero

Reaction score
Going against the current a bit here, but to me its still the Simms G3, and for the price it should be. I got the 2013 edition and its still waterproof and fairly breathable despite some minor repairs, all done by myself. Mate of mine got the latest version (2018?) and its flawless according to him after two seasons.
I've had a couple of Guideline waders and they have been decent enough when it comes to keeping me dry, but they are no where near Gore Tex when it comes to breathability, in my opinion at least.

Tangled

Reaction score
I've read many threads here and in other places and you can find individual experience that are both good and bad for any wader brand regardless of price. I've also spoken to at least 30 guides who put on waders as often as I put on pants and they all say the same. We need to accept that it's random; any and all waders can and do fail. I'm not seeing any other pattern than that.

(An Argentinian guide spent the first hour of our last day hopping on one leg because his SIMMS were leaking in the other one. After a while he gave up and sloshed around for the rest of the day. That was only bettered by one of our party failing to do his zip up before wading in.)

Salarspeycaster

Reaction score
Going against the current a bit here, but to me its still the Simms G3, and for the price it should be. I got the 2013 edition and its still waterproof and fairly breathable despite some minor repairs, all done by myself. Mate of mine got the latest version (2018?) and its flawless according to him after two seasons.
I've had a couple of Guideline waders and they have been decent enough when it comes to keeping me dry, but they are no where near Gore Tex when it comes to breathability, in my opinion at least.
I wear the Simms G4 waders and things are pretty rough here. I just posted a video in the video gallery and my G4 jacket is golden in that moment also.
I agree. Simms are rock solid. I use the G4 waders and jacket and have found them the be very reliable, and I’m on the water every week in season.

Handel

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Can anybody recommend some quality breathable waders? My Scierra ones lasted 10 years before leaking. My SONIK ones lasted 3 trips before both feet gave in.

I don't mind paying to stay dry. I've just heard bad things about the latest SIMMS waders.
Thanks
There is a lot that has been written on here over the years about waders, I have read most of it because it is so fundamental to most fly fishing. And one thing that has become clear is that you will get many different recommendations. I am beginning to think it is because we are all different shapes and sizes and one manufacturer's waders don't suit all those shapes and sizes. Add to that the different levels of after sales service - Hardyreels likes Simms but he is in the US so doesn't have to put up with their European after sales service - the different terrain people fish over, the different amounts of fishing people do in a year and how well they look after their gear and there is no right answer to your question.

Why didn't you buy another pair of Scierra waders if the first pair lasted ten years?

Geordieboy

Reaction score
There is a lot that has been written on here over the years about waders, I have read most of it because it is so fundamental to most fly fishing. And one thing that has become clear is that you will get many different recommendations. I am beginning to think it is because we are all different shapes and sizes and one manufacturer's waders don't suit all those shapes and sizes. Add to that the different levels of after sales service - Hardyreels likes Simms but he is in the US so doesn't have to put up with their European after sales service - the different terrain people fish over, the different amounts of fishing people do in a year and how well they look after their gear and there is no right answer to your question.

Why didn't you buy another pair of Scierra waders if the first pair lasted ten years?
As it happens, I didn't buy another pair of Scierra as my local tackle shop had closed down. I do like recommendations and that was 10 years ago!!!! Things on social media have changed and I can talk to like minded anglers now via laptop, so if Scierra are good, then I'll get another pair.
I am sending my current SONIKS off to Diver Dave to repair them, however, I will be buying another pair as a backup. An 8 hour drive to catch a salmon is too far when you are wet!!!!! For the sake of £200, then I'll pay it!
Thanks to everyone here for their opinions. I have decided on a new pair of Visions from Diver Dave who checks them out first.

Awesome help from everyone here as always!

MCXFisher

Reaction score
There is a lot that has been written on here over the years about waders, I have read most of it because it is so fundamental to most fly fishing. And one thing that has become clear is that you will get many different recommendations. I am beginning to think it is because we are all different shapes and sizes and one manufacturer's waders don't suit all those shapes and sizes.

You're right. Fit is a critical factor in determining the lifespan of waders. Too large and excess material is rubbing together; too small and seams are stressed.

Likewise the level of user care can have a major effect on lifespan. Being kind to your kit enhances value for money.

Handel

Reaction score
As it happens, I didn't buy another pair of Scierra as my local tackle shop had closed down. I do like recommendations and that was 10 years ago!!!! Things on social media have changed and I can talk to like minded anglers now via laptop, so if Scierra are good, then I'll get another pair.
I am sending my current SONIKS off to Diver Dave to repair them, however, I will be buying another pair as a backup. An 8 hour drive to catch a salmon is too far when you are wet!!!!! For the sake of £200, then I'll pay it!
Thanks to everyone here for their opinions. I have decided on a new pair of Visions from Diver Dave who checks them out first.

Awesome help from everyone here as always!
Well strangely you have got to where I got to several years ago, a new pair of Visions (mine have a zip) from Diver Dave. He has had them back once for a minor leak but at the price they have been a great success.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score

IMLE the waders that fit best last longest.

Best fit means a wader with enough room around the body for movement without hanging off the wearer likes sack.

Airflo waders? 3 pairs 1 season each. Scierra waders, 1 season pinholes all over the place.

Orvis Guides Large Reg 1 season and then I split the seams. Orvis Guides Large Long and I’ve had them for 6 seasons without any problems.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Going into my 4th season with my Airflo, airlite zip fronted jobbies, perfect fit for me, so far so good, previously used Snowbee,s without any issues, on average 5years a pair (bootfoot) the junction of the boot and leg gives up eventually. Tried a pair of Scierra bootfoots, the fit was really good,. shame the boots split within 3 days of use!

Andy Musgrove

Reaction score
I too lament the demise of my old Sciera Waders. Many failures and pounds lost since but bought Orvis Clearwater’s last year. Very affordable and so far really good. Comfortable and feel so light in comparison to older styles. I got mine from Mortimers of Grantown on Spey when passing through as always excellent customer service and on good days a little discount ?

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Fyi, found this about how waders get leaks.

All good information this. My SONIKS are a large/Reg when I am actually a Large/short size. However, the extra leg length allows me to bend down to change flies and step up out of deep water without it stretching the fabric and seams.
I have just sent them out to Diver dave to work his magic. Mine leak on the neoprene bootfeet.
For what its worth, I am buying some Vision Koski's from Dave. He gets them in new, sells them on at a discount, but also fully tests them before delivery. He also mentioned that due to COVID, there will be no new waders coming into the country from May next year. Must be a material supply issue.
So, I'll have my soniks as a backup to my new vision waders.
Sorted!!!!

Tangled

Reaction score
I think the Snowbee info goes some way to explaining why waders of all brands and prices get leaks.

This is a SIMMS promotional video about making waders. It's mostly emotive puff, but there's a short section about testing. They fill them full of water and physically look for leaks. The tester is also using a small hand spray - presumably Isopropyl alcohol?

I think it's pretty disingenuous of them to not mention that only some of SIMMS waders are made in the USA.

Last edited:

Pati

Reaction score
If I could afford them I would go for Orvis Pro: I have read tons of reviews on them, they are not all satisfied with the waders but they all agree it’s the toughest breathable they have ever seen (and as a result some complain it is a bit too rigid on the legs, not as comfy as a more supple fabric etc).

Alternatively I d go for the new Patagonia swiftcurrent as I have a soft spot for Patagonia given their ethics and quality of customer service

Geordieboy

Reaction score
If I could afford them I would go for Orvis Pro: I have read tons of reviews on them, they are not all satisfied with the waders but they all agree it’s the toughest breathable they have ever seen (and as a result some complain it is a bit too rigid on the legs, not as comfy as a more supple fabric etc).

Alternatively I d go for the new Patagonia swiftcurrent as I have a soft spot for Patagonia given their ethics and quality of customer service
They are promoting £75 off at the moment as well!!!