More than you can chew!

Soundmixer

Reaction score
On my regular Sunday walk down the Stracathro beat on the Northie I came across this sight. I'm thinking that it might have been a bit ambitious!
20160117_134641.jpg

So the troot had the last laugh
20160117_134649.jpg

And once we got the troot oot I'm thinking the goosander must have been on crack to try this.
20160117_134937.jpg

It must have been fairly recent as neither fish nor fowl were stiff. One goosander less in the river! :cool:

As for the beat itself, this was my first visit since waterworld subsided. There is a lot of bankside debris and a lot of bits of trees (understatement).
The junction of the Westie and the Northie is now narrower as the north side bank is now more sloped. The weir further down now has two gaps in it and the south bank near Pert is pretty cut up. BUT the river bed is still stoney and the water was running gin clear. Today the Northie looked perfect! :D

Euan

Loxie

Reaction score
Pity it was a cock.

I found a trout I weighed at 11oz in a cock goosander I found dead once. Coincidentally I found a dead cormorant with a grayling of 1lb 1oz in it. Amazing what they will eat given the chance.

AMcD

Reaction score
Ah got it. Either way it's the best way to look at a goosander - belly up!

Last edited:

VetteG

Reaction score
Thanks for the beat update Euan, we have our first day there exactly one month from today and I have been wondering how it fared. And of course one less Goosander is always a good thing!

G

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
Many years ago when shooting sawbills was not illegal I was fishing in January on the Tay when the ghillie shot a cormorant that was stuggling at the edge of one of the pools. When we retrieved it the situation was similar as it was trying to swallow a grilse kelt we estimated at 4lb. The grilse was still alive but was injured so we put it out of its misery. The cormorant also went to the big bird sanctuary in the sky.