More firetail cascades

Woodsy

Reaction score
Thanks to the selfish t**ts that aren't taking covid serious, my wife is back working crazy hours and I'm finding myself having more time at the tying bench in the evenings. Hopefully have a few more flies finished this week to share.

The cascade use to be my favourite and most successful fly, fishing it 90% of the time. After going through the full 2019 season without even a take on it, I kinda gave up on it and only had it on once or twice last year.

Now I'm tying again, I can make tweek them and tie up some of Andrew Mcgall firetail cascades. With fox in the tail and fox wing, it will be a lot more mobile. Hopefully it will restore my faith in this trusty fly. Tied on size 8s to 12s (and a few brass bead heads) on a range of gold/silver/halo rear bodies and green or fire orange arses. This should cover plenty of different conditions throughout the 2021 season

Hope you like me
20210113_194013.jpg
20210113_195808.jpg
20210113_194035.jpg
20210113_195934.jpg

Last edited:

SteveG

Reaction score
They look well on them hooks and a nice option with the bead added 👍

Woodsy

Reaction score
They look well on them hooks and a nice option with the bead added 👍
Thanks SteveG. They will most likely be used on the finn where bead heads are commonly used. I'll also try them on the moy before crush having to crush the barb lol

reedwarbler

Reaction score
Really like those flies, especially the singles, if you dont mind me asking, what hooks are they tied on, what are the beads, and how do you fix them on. Do they go over the eye of the hook, like a conehead

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Really like those flies, especially the singles, if you dont mind me asking, what hooks are they tied on, what are the beads, and how do you fix them on. Do they go over the eye of the hook, like a conehead
You will notice the beads are on the single hooks only. That is because they slide on over the point of the hook and round to the eye being held in place by the thread and materials behind them. Some beads are slotted which makes them much easier to get over barbs and round the bend. Be aware though that the hole size is often related to the bead size and so don’t make the mistake of going to small. For salmon singles 2.5mm is about as small as you would risk (size 12 hook)

Last edited:

Woodsy

Reaction score
The beads are just regular 3.2 countersunk brass beads bought on ebay. Flybox, vienards and blobs and buzzers all sell them.

The singles are B175 heavy wired trout hooks. The bead is slide round the book bend and onto the shank. Then I tie the fly. I leave loads of room after the head so I then superglue the head and bring the bead over the head similar to a conehead. You can also tie tight up to the bead like in the pic below, I'm still experimenting.

PA110958.JPG

Woodsy

Reaction score
You will notice the beads are on the single hooks only. That is because they slide on over the point of the hook and round to the eye being held in place by the thread and materials behind them
I spent too long faffing about trying to find a pic I missed your reply (y)

Woodsy

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, really appreciated Im gonna order some, and have a bit play.
The hooks and beads combined work out about 20p a fly, so worth a punt. They seem popular, and successful, on the Foyle system but it's new to me too.

reedwarbler

Reaction score
The hooks and beads combined work out about 20p a fly, so worth a punt. They seem popular, and successful, on the Foyle system but it's new to me too.
I think they will work well on the spate river i fish, nothing like trying something different

Reiver Flash

Reaction score
Thanks to the selfish t**ts that aren't taking covid serious, my wife is back working crazy hours and I'm finding myself having more time at the tying bench in the evenings. Hopefully have a few more flies finished this week to share.

The cascade use to be my favourite and most successful fly, fishing it 90% of the time. After going through the full 2019 season without even a take on it, I kinda gave up on it and only had it on once or twice last year.

Now I'm tying again, I can make tweek them and tie up some of Andrew Mcgall firetail cascades. With fox in the tail and fox wing, it will be a lot more mobile. Hopefully it will restore my faith in this trusty fly. Tied on size 8s to 12s (and a few brass bead heads) on a range of gold/silver/halo rear bodies and green or fire orange arses. This should cover plenty of different conditions throughout the 2021 season

Hope you like me
View attachment 55338View attachment 55341View attachment 55342View attachment 55343
Tried a cascade type,
tied it on a carp hook what do you think?
Try the red version too? My favourite now on the Tyne after original success on the orange.

reedwarbler

Reaction score
Im gonna try a few different patterns on them ala Woodsy, I have an idea for a little red shrimp