Monteviot / Jedforest in May

offshore

Reaction score
I have fished the Jedforest Teviot Association Water before in the Autumn, but never earlier.

A friend has just asked me if the Monteviot water is worth a visit in May or June.

The catch figures from fishpal look very low for this period. I am a bit surprised, considering how close both stretches are to the middle tweed.

Are the low catches due to very low fish numbers, or partly due to low fishing effort?

Is it worth a go basically, or is it flogging a dead horse?

Thanks for any help.

Salmon Bob

Reaction score
Monteviot will fish OK if the river is running off. If low water seatrout at night should be fun in June. If you would like the ghillies number to have a chat with him send me a pm.

offshore

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies on this - seems like a place where you have to watch the river levels carefully.

Thanks again

Stoater

Reaction score
As above…… may get a lucky sea trout or two, but for serious fishing, forget it. If the Tweed autumn run revitalises, it is all right for salmon, but 90% fish well coloured by the time they get there.

Reaction score
As above…… may get a lucky sea trout or two, but for serious fishing, forget it. If the Tweed autumn run revitalises, it is all right for salmon, but 90% fish well coloured by the time they get there.

You will always get the odd one who think you can have great sport on the tweed tribs and top river in summer for pennies. You see them on here from time to time, then funnily enough after they give it a shot you never hear any more about it.
I could never personally recommend that fishing to someone asking for advice.

Your advice above is spot on.

Dunkeld1962

Reaction score
You will always get the odd one who think you can have great sport on the tweed tribs and top river in summer for pennies. You see them on here from time to time, then funnily enough after they give it a shot you never hear any more about it.
I could never personally recommend that fishing to someone asking for advice.

Your advice above is spot on.

I can't agree with you at all, if you have good water you can have weeks of sport for sea trout. As for all the fish being coloured at the back end you are completely wrong, it's only a few miles from the Junction. Why would anyone want to fish above Melrose on the Tweed all the fish must be coloured there.

Nath

Reaction score
Fished Jedforrest last November and lost a fresh fish, also saw more bars of silver than Coloured fish, liked the water, just a tab busy with locals , but I knew this might be the case before hand! M

Can't see why from May onwards there would not be half decent numbers in there given good water, as others have said it very close to the junction!