Monday Morning Blues On The Earn

keirstream

Reaction score
After I left the river on Saturday, the river rose from 1m to over 2.5m with snow melt so that was going to give me the Monday morning blues as I expected the river to be unfishable.
A chance look at the levels at lunch time showed that it was dropping quicker than expected and was around 1.2m which is just on the absolute top height for a fly. Definitely worth a shot though and I tackled up at 2.00p.m. A look at the top pool suggested I leave it till last in the hope it dropped a bit more and take a bit of anger out of it. So, down to the bottom pool, a 15ft sink 6 tip, heavier than the sink 3 I used on Saturday and this fly was tied on.

Earn39320.jpg

Fished through the pool with no response but by this time I felt the water was easing down a bit and I had a good idea of where to winkle a fish out of the Top Pool, So, up I went and just exactly where I expected, below the heavy push at the extreme tail of the pool, this fellow decided to take hold.:):)

Earn03920.jpg

Now, this was a tricky place to hook him in such heavy water, just on the run out of the pool and at the top of fast, heavy broken water into which I would never have been able to follow the fish anyway. This is when you need backbone in a rod and believe me, it exists in spadeloads in every Gaelforce rod I have and the 14ft Equalizer 9/10 is no different.:thumb:
Never did I feel out of control in this heavy turbulent pool and I eased him firmly up giving him no opportunity to try anything different. And here is the result, 15lbs of hefty shouldered springer, fantastic specimen of proper Earn salmon. I'm now treble chuffed and the Monday morning blues have been completely washed away.:lol::lol:

westie4566

Reaction score
Now your just showing off Tam!:tongue:

Seriously though, what a cracker of a fish. Well done again:thumb:

budge

Reaction score
Perfect fish ! Well done

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Rennie

Reaction score
Go directly to Go!, buy two lottery tickets, do Littlewoods pools, do Vernons pools, get a Euro Millions ticket, go to Bingo and then have a reet good bet at ridiculous odds at the bookie, coz I tell you now, you just won't fail!.Failing all that, change your name to Phil Black, because the way you're catching, no one will know the difference!:thumb:
Pedro.

keirstream

Reaction score
Go directly to Go!, buy two lottery tickets, do Littlewoods pools, do Vernons pools, get a Euro Millions ticket, go to Bingo and then have a reet good bet at ridiculous odds at the bookie, coz I tell you now, you just won't fail!.Failing all that, change your name to Phil Black, because the way you're catching, no one will know the difference!:thumb:
Pedro.
Aye you've got to be in it to win it, but there also has to be fish in the river to catch.
The river never settled in February which is early anyway, but for some reason, when the water dropped last week, fish appeared unusually early. It's normally April before we see anything much in the Earn so here's hoping this is just the start of a proper run like those of yesteryear.:thumb:
As for Phil, he is a mentor of mines. I have an old tartan tie of his and he once gave me a fly.
I feel honoured to be mentioned in the same sentence as such a legend.:lol::lol:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Absolutely fantastic sir :thumb: another cracking springer :cool: very well done and keep em coming 🎣
Best of luck up the northie 🎣

keirstream

Reaction score
What a run! perseverance rewarded :thumb: well done
Wee Mick had a copy of the flee sent to me within an hour of me sending a pic of the original to him.:lol:
The Newmains Fly tying sweat shop is in full production of bananas and monkeys.:thumb::thumb:

Mick1.jpg

ArchieL

Reaction score
3 in March ???? another belter, that Earn in March is beginning to resemble the swans water (Fish every time) Well done you and hats off to planning your day going by the river height, good experienced salmon angler. Just imagine if you get 1 from N Esk then winkle a Teith one out in March also ????? Glad i dont share any syndicate days with you ,,you howking them oot left right & centre :lol:

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Nothing original to add: beautiful fish, congratulations.

However, by the time you catch the 6th from a run the chances of the next one being a 20+...........?