Miramichi and Cains River season end

miramichi

Reaction score
Our season on the Miramichi and Cains Rivers in New Brunswick, Canada ended on 10/15. I've put a report on the last 5 weeks of fishing and a number of pictures on my blog at this Brad Burns Fly Fishing link.

I retired last summer, and so was able to go up to my camp and just stay there for the entire 5-week period. I never missed either a morning or afternoon session regardless of weather. The weather seemed a little cooler than normal, and we had very little rain until the end, so we fished mostly in low water with quite small flies. We caught a fair amount on bombers during the first couple of weeks I was there.

The Miramichi salmon population has shrunk dramatically in my 17 years of fishing the river. It has gone from a run of about 100,000 grilse and salmon to less than 30,000, perhaps less than 25,000 this year, though we won't know that until the government releases the final results in February or so. The decrease in salmon is much smaller than that of grilse.

In spite of the decrease at this point we still have enough fish to provide good fishing when conditions are decent. It was far too warm from the end of June until the third week in August for much of any salmon fishing at all.

Personally I had 35 salmon/grilse on the Varzuga/Kitsa in late May, 9 during a week trip on the Serpentine in Newfoundland during August, and 36 between late June and this fall on the Miramichi and Cains Rivers. The total of 80 was my best year salmon fishing since I switched over to the sport in 2002, and it shows if you give up everything else in life you can still have a good year!:eek::D I usually spend two weeks on the Naver in March, but the untimely death of my brother in law - as I was getting in the taxi to go to the airport - stopped that trip this year.

I hope you enjoy the blog. I have a new book called On the Cains: Atlantic Salmon and Sea Run Brook Trout on the Miramichi's Greatest Tributary that is at the editors and should be out next spring.

Here are a couple of picture you may enjoy:

DSCN1050.jpgDSCN1097.jpgIMG_1293 (004).jpg

Morse

Reaction score
Lovely

Many thanks for the post.

Beautiful fish, beautiful colours and scenery.

It's what it's all about.

Morse

Karl-K

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, some great fish and looks a beautifull place, love the moose in the blog

miramichi

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, some great fish and looks a beautifull place, love the moose in the blog

Here is that moose picture. They really are great animals. They are so big it is hard to believe it sometimes when you seem them, but they can just disappear into the woods like nothing. There is a very good population along the Miramichi and Cains, and there are a lot of black bears. You see both many days in the late season.

I also included this picture of a big salmon taken on the last day of salmon fishing, October 15. That is a really big hen, probably somewhere north of 30 pounds. I love the blue tone of the really late running fish that are fresh from the estuary. This one probably had sea lice.

DSCN1095.jpg

Marc   Muzzerol last day 18.jpg