Minnow feeders

Rainclouds

Reaction score
I was sitting on the river bank yesterday around lunch time when I saw a splash right at the edge of the river in a couple of inches of water on a gently sloping sand bed. There was a good area of sandy shallow water to 20 feet from the edge where the river dropped into fast flowing deep rocky water, a decent salmon lie. I was wearing polarised glasses and I soon noticed several trout cruising in from the deeper water and occasionally making a grab close to the edge, sometimes with a slight surface disturbance and sometimes not. Minnow could be seen hitting the surface with each attack.

If the bed was not of clean sand, I would never have twigged what was going on. On that stretch of river a half pounder is decent but these were nearly all at least that and up to a pound and a half. There were up to five trout visible at a time, none of them holding still. I have caught lots of good sized trout from that part of the pool but never would have thought to cast a stealthy fly into the very shallow water at the edge. I had no trout gear with me and a swung salmon fly caused them to disperse temporarily. Hopefully this might be a regular occurrence as it will make for exciting sight fishing.

Sometimes it is more productive to sit and watch than to fish aimlessly, especially in the middle of a warm day in June. I would like to report back soon to tell of my successes but we'll see.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
You'll probably find that the trout were taking advantage of the spawning minnows when they are often joined by chub and barbel if present in the river. Not a great time to be a minnow when rampant lust is taking precedence over not being eaten!

pfeul

Reaction score
Altough reallly exciting because of the many trouts that gather on the minnow shoals, I've always found the trout to be hard to fish then.

Stripping a streamer is usually the best way to spook them in the shallow water where minnows gather.

On these occasions, I've had success many times by sight fishing a big "tête orange" nymph (about size 8) on a long leader and a long and light tippet.
It is basically a pheasant tail but with the front half of the body being made of a varnished bright orange thread head (unweighted or with very few lead turns around the shank of the hook)
I don't know if the orange head reminds the trout about the marks of the spawning male minnow, but the mere dead drift of this nymph with the odd slight raise of the rod tip can often struggle the trout reaction.

mr wolf

Reaction score
Altough reallly exciting because of the many trouts that gather on the minnow shoals, I've always found the trout to be hard to fish then.

Stripping a streamer is usually the best way to spook them in the shallow water where minnows gather.

On these occasions, I've had success many times by sight fishing a big "tête orange" nymph (about size 8) on a long leader and a long and light tippet.
It is basically a pheasant tail but with the front half of the body being made of a varnished bright orange thread head (unweighted or with very few lead turns around the shank of the hook)
I don't know if the orange head reminds the trout about the marks of the spawning male minnow, but the mere dead drift of this nymph with the odd slight raise of the rod tip can often struggle the trout reaction.
I was fishing the darlington brown trout water near Middleton in Teesdale one evening seen this big swirl splashing in the waters edge large trout feeding on minnow wonderful to see. Tried using minnow the trout take so hard nearly pulled the rod in. great fun.

fishingdaft

Reaction score
You see them early morning regularly on the clyde,but not really tried for them yet,but will hopefully try it next year

ArchieL

Reaction score
Match the hatch and get the diver on. Oh wait you are not allowed this method as it was too succesful and was banned due to the bus loads of central belt anglers who used to head north and empty the highland lochs and streams :)

Aled

Reaction score
My Uncle Phillip, a bit of a very lovable Welsh valleys charecter, now...he would of fished a live minnow underneath a bubble float... ;)
Tight Lines
Aled

Rrrr

Reaction score
My Uncle Phillip, a bit of a very lovable Welsh valleys charecter, now...he would of fished a live minnow underneath a bubble float... ;)
Tight Lines
Aled
If allowed id be getting my minmow trap out and fishing the drop minnow.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Tight Lines
Aled
Y
Way back when id have done the same but syringed the minnow with a bit of air to bounce along with a touch of lead as no floats were allowed.... exciting stuff for a wee boy bored with salmon fishing but certainly not used now ???

It's that time of year though, when trout look to pack on proteins and fry are top of the pops for feeding trout... I've just ordered a pile of mink strips Mylar tubing and epoxy ?