Miki Aikas ties Stromso - video

Hibernicus

Reaction score
I've been thinking off and on about where Miki Aikas places the lead wraps on this tying.
I'm thinking I might change to his method for the reason below.
But first, I must weight some lead wire and see what length of lead wire is needed to come close to the weight of the smaller modern tungsten cones.
While I like a light fly, it does need some weight to steady it a little (or at least that's what my intuitions tells me - no more than intuition).
Using a cone at the front of the tying can necessitate an extra couple of hackles if only to even up the materials so that the cone sits horizontally against the tying.
The difficulty is that by the time one ties in the wing materials, the front to the tube is no longer round in section but is oval to reflect the wing butts.
The result is a gap or bare area under the tying and at the front of the tube.
H

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
I hear that and agree, I'm very seldom fishing low clear water here so things are tied full and somewhat heavy. I'd like a cone or disc on one but for the reasons you cite it may not fit well at all. I've another in the vise at the moment with the head wraps drying then One more to refine a bit more. Second one is a bit better and the third will be good as I get :)

On the lead strand, I seldom use it these days but like any old school type had a bunch on hand, went with six wraps.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
Here's 3;

From rather sparse to quite full, I do hope my salmon like the yellow - orange - black look because I am full up with various patterns of it :)

Hibernicus

Reaction score
Very nice - especially the bottom one, but they will all swim beautifully.
Did you use lead wire wraps - I think not?
H

Silverdream

Reaction score
Hi Guys

To clear a bit about history and tying the Strömsö:

When I first tied this pattern, I was asked to tie punch of tube flies with Monkey wing for fishing rivers, which have lightly coloured water. I had the Wiilie Gunnish color set up on my mind. I made first two versions and they looked so good, that I decide to leave them to my own use.
I tied for the customer copies of those and sent them. This happened on spring.

Few weeks later the guy who had my flies sent message to me, that he had land some good fish with those flies.
Few weeks later in June, I headed to Northern-Norway to fish the Tana, Lakselv and Alta. At first evening on Tana I lost the good salmon from the new pattern and next day I land one.
Few days later I lost one in Lakselv and later on that week on Alta I had some action with it.
I started to think, that maybe it can be a good weapon for the salmon.

Later on same summer I land 40 pounder with the Strömsö and since then we have used this fly with good success. For example Antti, very good friend of mine, the Editor of CSM, have use it a lot and landed many good fish with it.

I have never been such a fan to use Coneheads. I use them in flies with TD wing , but hardly never flies with the Monkey wing. My opinion is, that Monkey winged fly with no hackle does not need the weight. On Strömsö the wing is mixed with PB, Fox and Monkey. I wrap few rounds of lead wire just to have bit better balance, especially if I have longer bodied tube. Now a days I tie it with quite short body, so maybe the Leadwire is not that important anymore…but I use it, cause the first version had it also.

Few words about the tying.
I leave the stems of PB and Fox, because I have noticed that larger tube and stems helps me to place the Monkey better. Monkey is really stiff and slippery material if compared for example TD. With other materials I normally cut the stems off after the placing the material, but I just feel, that the Monkey wing place better when I tie it with leaving the stems. Heads of the flies like these are maybe not that beautiful, but salmon dont give a **** about the heads..

Here’s SBS article for it. https://silverdream.me/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/pk0213_stromso.pdf
It is made for the Finnish magazine years ago, but maybe it helps a bit more with tying.
Sometimes I tie the JC´s better side down, like in here, cause I think fish should see them better from their view…

Stay safe and healthy.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Reaction score
Very nice - especially the bottom one, but they will all swim beautifully.
Did you use lead wire wraps - I think not?
H
Old school here, I have lead strand that I was using in the early 1970's to weigh nymphs as I learned that style fishing. They have 6 turns of some old Sunrise India lead on them :)

I agree with Silverdream and don't use cone or disc on Monkey flies unless there is some deep water reasoning.... I do often employ the Drop Weight or Bullet Weights supplied by Pro Tube of Denmark for weight. I used the wire here because the instruction said to do so :)

My ongoing attraction to this style fly is precisely the swimming action. I use the Wilkinson Sunray which I change a little almost exclusively for steelhead and rainbow trout here. I am hoping they will approve of the colors of these flies as well.

pfeul

Reaction score
Hi Guys

To clear a bit about history and tying the Strömsö:

When I first tied this pattern, I was asked to tie punch of tube flies with Monkey wing for fishing rivers, which have lightly coloured water. I had the Wiilie Gunnish color set up on my mind. I made first two versions and they looked so good, that I decide to leave them to my own use.
I tied for the customer copies of those and sent them. This happened on spring.

Few weeks later the guy who had my flies sent message to me, that he had land some good fish with those flies.
Few weeks later in June, I headed to Northern-Norway to fish the Tana, Lakselv and Alta. At first evening on Tana I lost the good salmon from the new pattern and next day I land one.
Few days later I lost one in Lakselv and later on that week on Alta I had some action with it.
I started to think, that maybe it can be a good weapon for the salmon.

Later on same summer I land 40 pounder with the Strömsö and since then we have used this fly with good success. For example Antti, very good friend of mine, the Editor of CSM, have use it a lot and landed many good fish with it.

I have never been such a fan to use Coneheads. I use them in flies with TD wing , but hardly never flies with the Monkey wing. My opinion is, that Monkey winged fly with no hackle does not need the weight. On Strömsö the wing is mixed with PB, Fox and Monkey. I wrap few rounds of lead wire just to have bit better balance, especially if I have longer bodied tube. Now a days I tie it with quite short body, so maybe the Leadwire is not that important anymore…but I use it, cause the first version had it also.

Few words about the tying.
I leave the stems of PB and Fox, because I have noticed that larger tube and stems helps me to place the Monkey better. Monkey is really stiff and slippery material if compared for example TD. With other materials I normally cut the stems off after the placing the material, but I just feel, that the Monkey wing place better when I tie it with leaving the stems. Heads of the flies like these are maybe not that beautiful, but salmon dont give a **** about the heads..

Here’s SBS article for it. https://silverdream.me/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/pk0213_stromso.pdf
It is made for the Finnish magazine years ago, but maybe it helps a bit more with tying.
Sometimes I tie the JC´s better side down, like in here, cause I think fish should see them better from their view…

Stay safe and healthy.
Thanks for your insights. I really enjoy watching your tyings.
In case you would not have any more monkey fur, what susbtitute would you use instead ?

Silverdream

Reaction score
I have tried everything, but there´s no any other material which can compared the original. It is really unique material, but the problem is, as in many other materials too, it is hard to find good quality stuff. which is also legal.
It have very fine movement and when you have good quality hair, it gets curly and "fatter" when it gets wet.
Many times pieces from the Fur are not good, cause they have been processed with some treatment agents over the years and best hair is brushed away.
Hair from the original pelt is always much better, even it is dyed..

Maybe the closest version I have managed to make using good quality Fox hair on middle layer, then long and thin top layer from Goat. It is hard to have same shape for the wing. You can get pretty close, but it is not same than the original.

I use always stiffer material under the Monkey, like Bucktail or PB. There is also huge differences on Bucktails too. It is way too underrated material now a days.

Hope this helps...