Michael Evans Speycaster II 15’ rod..

Salmo9

Reaction score
Managed to pick up a nice ME Speycaster II rod recently but struggling to load it with an early Arrowhead 9/11 Spey floater.. Me thinks I need a line with a bit more oomph (weight).. Has anyone had similar issues with these rods and managed to resolve them.?

All info appreciated.

Thanks..

Scierra

Reaction score
I never took a liking to the split handles on M.E. Speycaster rods, his Arrowhead lines were the start of the shooting head type lines in the late 1990's , a great improvement on wWF and double taper lines. they were 65 ft heads ,short spey lines then , 65 ft is no classed as a long spey head line these days, the running line used to crack up and go brittle after a hard seasons fishing . out dated lines now , go for a Rio outbound 10/11 integrated line , and you will cast miles

Salmo9

Reaction score
Thanks Scierra, much appreciate your comments.. The rod feels robust and I believe, rolled and built here in the UK so took up the ‘challenge’ so to speak.. I’ve also just nailed a nice Orvis WF11 medium head, integrated Spey floater off eBay too, so hoping this setup will do the business..

Cheers - Salmo9.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Was having a play with one the other week. The angler who owned it had some sort of airflo long head spey line on with a multi tip. I could cast it but it was hard work as im used to 13 footers and scandi lines. The lad that owns it can belt out a great line with it.
Also the split handle didnt really bother me as it was where my hand would be anyway.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Rennie

Reaction score
Bear in mind Salmo9, the Evans lines are designed to be used with his 10ft parallel polys in place!, they're part n parcel of the line as it were. Loop one onto the front end, you should see a difference!.
Pedro.

Salmo9

Reaction score
Likewise Rrrr, the abbreviated handle made no difference to me.. Like you, I use a 13’ rod but with shooting heads with little trouble but was hit with a dose of fishing nostalgia after re-discovering an early Spey casting video of Derek Brown throwing lovely loops with a double tapered line.. of all things.

Cheers - Salmo9.

Salmo9

Reaction score
Ahh, thanks Rennie.. After all these years I didn’t know that..! Me and a mate were really struggling with the arrowhead 9/11 floater combined with the Speycaster II. The line just felt a little too light to load that particular rod, plus we’d neither swung a rod since last spring so a bit rusty to say the least..

Cheers - Salmo9.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Likewise Rrrr, the abbreviated handle made no difference to me.. Like you, I use a 13’ rod but with shooting heads with little trouble but was hit with a dose of fishing nostalgia after re-discovering an early Spey casting video of Derek Brown throwing lovely loops with a double tapered line.. of all things.

Cheers - Salmo9.
It took me a good few casts to get back to the big sweeping movements and high lift needed to get a big d loop going.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Bear in mind Salmo9, the Evans lines are designed to be used with his 10ft parallel polys in place!, they're part n parcel of the line as it were. Loop one onto the front end, you should see a difference!.
Pedro.
Ive got one of his arrowhead lines that came on a spare hardy spool from ebay and have been meaning to test cast it. Any idea if a 10ft airflo poly will work ?

Rennie

Reaction score
Yes it will Rrrr, his own work that bit better due to the slightly heavier weight of a parallel item.Not much in it though, for years I used 10ft Airflo's well enough on my Evans lines. As much as the weight, it's the extra length too.
Pedro.

Handel

Reaction score
Yes it will Rrrr, his own work that bit better due to the slightly heavier weight of a parallel item.Not much in it though, for years I used 10ft Airflo's well enough on my Evans lines. As much as the weight, it's the extra length too.
Pedro.
Very interesting. I used his original lines years ago and found there was no margin for error in setting up the cast. But I didn't use polyleaders. Sounds like I should have done.

meyre

Reaction score
Evans Arrowhead lines....inherited in 2009 a 10/11 white floater and a 10/11 light green Intermediate , both 66' heads.
Used them for 2 seasons on 10/11 Z-axis 15' with just 12' of Maxply leader. No problem and no feeling that a poly leader would add to performance.
They are very good. Supple, punchy , easy to cast and durable...happy to use them now if they are on a reel.
Does anyone know what grain/gram weight Evans lines are rated at? He did measure just the first 30' for weight ....but that is hardly helpful.