Michael Evans Polyleaders length

Solwayeddie

Reaction score
Purchased a set of 5 ft Salmon leaders from Michael Evans web site, no problems in delivery on ly took 2 days to arrive.
Used them for the first time this week, opened the packet of the fast sink at the river and thought it looked short for 5 ft anyway on it went and cast OK.
When I got home I measured the leaders and found they are all different within a few inches but the fast sink is only 4 ft.
Not a big problem with the others but 12 inch short, I contacted Michael Evans staff and was told Michael is in Scotland for three weeks fishing they would talk to him on the phone ( bet he was happy being bothered about a £6 leader on his fishing trip)
They replied and said they are made by hand in 1000 batches and the last batch has a problem in length if I wanted to return them I could have a refund.
Not really what I wanted, I only wanted a 5 ft replacement for the fast sink .
Not good tolerance is it + or_ 12 inch.
Eddie

ABK

Reaction score
Never used the polyleaders you named, but have used the Airiflo 5 ft ones. These have a loop at both ends. Although the main line end has a chemically bonded loop the leader attaching end is knotted. The first set of these I bought the knots was so slack it would have come undone after only a few casts. I retied all the leader loop ends, but I also complained to Airflo. They very quickly apologised and offerred to replace them all.

Willie the Gillie

Reaction score
The Evans polyleaders are Airflo's and the only 5ft ones I've seen of his are untapered and therefornot great to cast with. Airflo do a great range of 10ft polyleaders which will naturally reduce down to 5 ft with use!!! and still remain tapered for better turnover. These are available from most shops or we have 10ft salmon tapered fast (3 ips) in stock at a fiver each. They are available in normal (small flies) or heavy duty (bigger flies)
Jock

Tyke

Reaction score
I usually buy the 10ft Evans leaders & cut them as required to produce leaders of 3 & 7 ft, 4 & 6 ft, 5 & 5 ft + the original 10 ft. either whip loops or strip the coating & knot a Roman Moser or equivalent loop to the cut end. As they are parallel either end can be used.
The fast ones sink faster at the tip than the tapered poly leaders without the 'U' curve caused by the slower sinking tapered tip, this is what I want in a fast / very fast sinker. Also the short [3 ft] cut downs are great on the end of say, a fast intermediate, when you want the fly to fish tight to the far bank [ie straight after landing] but not fish too deeply as it comes across a fairly shallow pool. It also acts as a good anchor to mend the line against after the cast.
I believe the tapered leaders are best off a floater with dressed flies up to the med / fast rate - where the heavier faster sinking butt of the leader is held up by the floating line producing a more uniform sink with the slower sinking tapered tip, but for sinking lines & the fast / ultra fast leaders prefer the level leaders faster & more uniform sinking profile. Also the heavier parallel leaders turn weighted tubes over more easily than the tapered variety.
Use both types, but choose the best one for the conditions for each day & pool.

Regards, Tyke.

Willie the Gillie

Reaction score
I usually buy the 10ft Evans leaders & cut them as required to produce leaders of 3 & 7 ft, 4 & 6 ft, 5 & 5 ft + the original 10 ft. either whip loops or strip the coating & knot a Roman Moser or equivalent loop to the cut end. As they are parallel either end can be used.
The fast ones sink faster at the tip than the tapered poly leaders without the 'U' curve caused by the slower sinking tapered tip, this is what I want in a fast / very fast sinker. Also the short [3 ft] cut downs are great on the end of say, a fast intermediate, when you want the fly to fish tight to the far bank [ie straight after landing] but not fish too deeply as it comes across a fairly shallow pool. It also acts as a good anchor to mend the line against after the cast.
I believe the tapered leaders are best off a floater with dressed flies up to the med / fast rate - where the heavier faster sinking butt of the leader is held up by the floating line producing a more uniform sink with the slower sinking tapered tip, but for sinking lines & the fast / ultra fast leaders prefer the level leaders faster & more uniform sinking profile. Also the heavier parallel leaders turn weighted tubes over more easily than the tapered variety.
Use both types, but choose the best one for the conditions for each day & pool.

Regards, Tyke.

My goodness it must be the man himself ?

Jock

yorkshireman

Reaction score
evans 5ft (or not) polyleaders

Received a selection of 5ft evans polyleaders las year and there seemed to be a large variation in lengths. Most were considerably shorter than 5 ft!

Tyke

Reaction score
No Jock,

Just some one whose casting was really stuggling to turn over a standard 10ft sinking polyleader & copper tube one day, so I thought there must be a way to vary things a bit. Also one 10 ft is quite a bit cheaper than 2 x 5 ft polytips !

Regards, Tyke.

Willie the Gillie

Reaction score
For many seasons I watched these untapered 5ft tips being added to light front ended floating lines and then coupled with less than precise power application making hardwork of the task of turning them over. I guess some have got to like them but personally I would rather fish a cut back heavy duty (or even normal) tapered version if I had the choice for fishing a heavy tube. Each to their own.
Jock

Solwayeddie

Reaction score
I did get a refund today, they cannot replace the short leader as none of there stock is any better.
So if you purchase any of these look forward to getting all sorts of lengths and not 5 ft.
I am only a novice and not good at casting so adding all different lengths of leader is not going to help, well I can always say it is the leaders.
Eddie

Tyke

Reaction score
Hi Jock,

Actually I was refering to a 10ft tapered leader failing to turn weighted tubes over properly rather than the fly line failing to turn over the leader as any lines I use for poly tips I always cut back if they are fine in the tip & keep a line uncut specifically for delicate work [I use an 80 ft Lee Wulfe TT floater as the uncut line as this has vey delicate presentation but is usless with polytips unless some serious surgery were carried out - which seems a bit of a sacrilage].
I found that on the end of a suitable line with a fairly sustantial tip [M/E Arrowhead, Hardy Mach II Long, Daiwa [Cortland]Lochmore etc] or on a cut back line, the parallel tips turn over OK & deal with bulky or weighted flies a lot better than the fine tipped tapered ones do + you can chop them to create the shorter variable lengths & use both ends effectively.
For smaller flies, particularly with floating lines, I prefer the more delicate presentation of a tapered tip, but off a med or fast sinking line with a 2" copper tube or large bottle tube the delicacy consideration is irrelevant so I use the one which will do the job most easily & if it requires a tip of 3ft, 7ft or whatever, a 10 ft parallel tip & a pair of scissors & it's done.

Regards, Tyke.

Last edited:

Tyke

Reaction score
Tried one Jock, but I found the 10 /11 too light on my rods for the way I like to feel them load. However, my pal uses a 10/ 11 on a B&W Powerlite Spey 15 ft #7/9 [which we both feel is really a #9/10] & it is superb & really flies out without any effort with any of the tips options fitted]. Any chance of an 11/12 version of this line with a slightly longer head ? - that would be a good 'un.
I currently use an old Rio Accelerator Multi tip which I find fine, but still use polytips [chopped or other wise] with other lines across a range of densities where I feel it will improve presentation in a specific spot.
I see that you now have an intermediate tips version out & am very interested in that - any chance you could publish the weight in grains of the head with the 10ft & 15 ft tips options fitted? Other wise its a CND GPS intermediate multi tip from the states & hope the Customs & Excise are on lunch when its goes through !

Regards, Tyke.