Messing around with feathers - ghillie spey

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Playing around with feathers - tried to convert a ghillie to a ghillie Spey. Head is massive, ‘boat’ wing isn’t the best but overall looks nice when wetted down. Tight lines for 2020, Patrick

4E700572-6389-4120-82E0-07D52064C6D3.png

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Cheers Alan - I’ve been playing guitar about the same amount of time as I’ve been tying. Whilst the tying has improved - the guitar not much - but there is something about playing the guitar that calms the soul.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
That is absolutely beautiful Patrick! :eek:

I would have that in the water before any Ghillie. The movement in that!!! Beautiful!

What did you use for your spey hackle?

Great to see you posting again. It was well worth the wait! :D

gwelsher

Reaction score
I like it Patrick :thumb::thumb:
I have been playing with Spey type flies recently. What are you using for the body hackles?

iainmortimer

Reaction score
OOOOOOooooo that's really nice. You might see fault but I just see a stunning fly. That's a great interpretation :thumb:

Fergal1975

Reaction score
What a great looking fly.
It would be nice to see the full list of ingredients

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks for all your comments - been a while since I've posted much - so cheers

Easier to reply all. I've had some Spey feathers from a number of sources - Canadian Tube fly do some nice heron hackles, Steve at Cookshill has some great feathers (Asian heron? - I think), and Future Fly (burnt goose shoulder.)

The Body hackles here are from Cookshills - Give him a call I might have the wrong name for the feathers - i preferred these feathers because he's managed to get a solid colour on them - and you could get them smaller/larger

It's basically a Ghillie

Should be gold hook - but wanted black
Gold oval tag
Antique gold tinsel (back half) - should be holo - but again to make it feel retro went gold with gold oval rib through both body sections (counterwound to the body hackle)
Black seals fur front - with Gold largatun flat tinsel - with gold oval rib sitting over
Body Hackle - Large Orange Asian Spey from Steve Cooper Cookshill
Front Hackle - smaller Asian Spey orange
Blue Guinea fowl - tied as proper hackle but swept down after with fingers
Overwing is Dyed Yellow Mallard wing slips (so not super quality - so more difficult to make into a boat) from Future Fly
JC - pointing down
Red head (hopefully not as big!)

There's no additional bling like a normal ghillie

All the best, Patrick

Last edited:

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Patrick,

Being a tier who spent considerable time working out the style myself I think I can safely say that that eclipses any of my own as a thing of beauty.

Nicely done,

Ard