Mepps

Isisalar

Reaction score
That's them. The one second from the left above is the one I've had success with. Most notably a, 20lb Pike taken on one about Mepps size 3, out after a few Perch one Sunday afternoon.
I haven't used them for Salmon because they are so effective for Pike and there are a lot more Pike in the Avon than Salmon. Think I might have convinced myself to have a rethink though with some of the black and neon ones.

Last edited:

Wee Porters

Reaction score
Wouldn't be without some Mepps in the tackle box, found casting them well upstream on fast streamy
stretches and reeling them back fast often produces the goods when the river is low.

Rrrr

Reaction score
That's them. The one second from the left above is the one I've had success with. Most notably a, 20lb Pike taken on one about Mepps size 3, out after a few Perch one Sunday afternoon.
I haven't used them for Salmon because they are so effective for Pike and there are a lot more Pike in the Avon than Salmon. Think I might have convinced myself to have a rethink though with some of the black and neon ones.
I do well with fluro green/orange size 1 mepps when the the grilse are running. Hard to get a hold of and i got mine in a job lot from ebay.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Lynnzer

Reaction score
If I am spinning, the Mepps is my preferred spinner in sizes ranging from a number 2 to a 5 with no specific colour combination with a varied retrieve but like
Rrrr, I find that casting at 90 degrees and letting the current swing them through the arc and then a slow retrieve parallel to the bank has proven very successful.
Biggest fish I ever hooked was done like that. In fact I deliberately allowed the lure to bump along the bottom from just at the top of a section of shallowish rapids and behind a deep pool. The take was magnificent and the thing took off like a rocket upstream. It eventually got itself into the deep pool where I lost it on 4lb line and a 6' rod that was only intended for brownies.
Can't say whether it was a sea trout or salmon but hey, it liked what it saw and went for it.

My postie will shortly be delivering a batch of Mepps from here. At these prices I can afford to lose a few fishing harder spots

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Anyone remember 'Anitta' or Anita' bar spoon spinners? They were like Mepps but on steroids. My late Grandfather swore by them for Salmon, they caught loads on the Cumbridn rivers, the Irt and specifically the Ehen. God I wish I still had some my Gramps left me but i used and lost them all! Caught a few Salar in the process mind..