Mepps

Royser89

Reaction score
What are peoples thoughts on Mepps do people still use them daily or are they starting to become a thing of the past. I never really tried Mepps and I am going to persue getting a fish on these this year. I am a lazy angler when it comes to spinning The times I do use the set up I can manage a couple of fish a season.

What would be peoples own opinion and what types would you have in your tackle box. I have a few size 4 the silver blue and red dot, black fury, and the copper agila

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
Still as good as any other lure for salmon and seatrout. I have more on size 3 to size 0 mepps thought.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Handel

Reaction score
Once the water begins to drop I wouldn't spin with anything else. Most of what I have are sizes 3 to 5.

Loxie

Reaction score
When I used to spin it was devons in spring and mepps in low water and Tobies for everything else. I would say I caught more on a mepps than a Toby but it would have been close. 2s and 3s mainly with 1's and 4's occasionally. Put a blob of varnish on the hook to stop the line getting wedged in when you have a tangle. I don't believe salmon have changed. Everyone seems to use FC's, presumably because they are so easy to use, but you can make a mepps fish at a wider range of depths and speeds. I think it often pays to be different with salmon.

Meldon9

Reaction score
A great lure for brownies, sea trout and salmon. Mainly use Mepps Aglia sizes 0-3 in silver with blue sports or plain silver. Occasionally use the long bladed version in copper. Only observation is hooks can be a bit too bendy.

Have quite a few gold ones in various sizes which will never get used as I have no faith in gold lures, maybe I should ebay them.

Only Mepps I didn't like was their version of a flying c - the rubber bit was too fragile.

lax0341

Reaction score
When you have rivers with both salmon and seatrout nearly in the same level I use the Mepps in sizes 3 and 4 constantly.
The river shouldn‘t be too deep and the water around normal level or a bit less. If the water is higher I‘d use a Flying C or a Rapala.
But mostly I use to fish the fly.

Rrrr

Reaction score
When I used to spin it was devons in spring and mepps in low water and Tobies for everything else. I would say I caught more on a mepps than a Toby but it would have been close. 2s and 3s mainly with 1's and 4's occasionally. Put a blob of varnish on the hook to stop the line getting wedged in when you have a tangle. I don't believe salmon have changed. Everyone seems to use FC's, presumably because they are so easy to use, but you can make a mepps fish at a wider range of depths and speeds. I think it often pays to be different with salmon.
Thats the trick with mepps, getting them to swing at diffrent speeds and depths using the angle of the cast and rod tip angle.

Royser89

Reaction score
Well its a done deal so Mepps will be on the rod for the season. There is so many options these days visions 110 and fcs rapala so on. I think I will stick out the Mepps and see the results at the end of the season. Thanks for all the advice and input gives extra confidence in trying different lures

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Westcountry

Reaction score
A great lure for brownies, sea trout and salmon. Mainly use Mepps Aglia sizes 0-3 in silver with blue sports or plain silver. Occasionally use the long bladed version in copper. Only observation is hooks can be a bit too bendy.

Have quite a few gold ones in various sizes which will never get used as I have no faith in gold lures, maybe I should ebay them.

Only Mepps I didn't like was their version of a flying c - the rubber bit was too fragile.

I was much the same, silver and copper for me with the long bladed one in higher or faster water when I wanted to fish downstream. The long thin blade gives less drag in fast water and so goes a bit deeper when fished below you.

Like you I never seemed to do anything with a gold one until I went to the chalksteams. On those in sunny conditions it outfished silver by a mile. On dull days silver was better but as soon as the sun came out it was next to useless.

Andy

Rrrr

Reaction score

Had all my fish that i did catch spinning on the coquet last season on a size 2 gold mepp. I rekon they dont spook the fish as much in clear water.

ddave07

Reaction score
Thats the trick with mepps, getting them to swing at diffrent speeds and depths using the angle of the cast and rod tip angle.

Thats really true! Learning the art of fishing the same spinner from just beneath the surface to the next cast going much deeper is a real skill!

When river levels permit, Mepps are my go to spinner. Particularly the Mepps Comet Blue and Silver or Red and Silver in Size 2-4

Rrrr

Reaction score
Thats really true! Learning the art of fishing the same spinner from just beneath the surface to the next cast going much deeper is a real skill!

When river levels permit, Mepps are my go to spinner. Particularly the Mepps Comet Blue and Silver or Red and Silver in Size 2-4
Ive seen a few people starting up salmon fishing and they cant work out why they arent catching on mepps while others are. They are just casting and retreiving with no real thought to what the lures doing or where its going. Once they figure it out they are in business.
I like them as its easy to pick and target the places that you know will hold fish, dinkinng them around rocks and shelves in the river etc.
I fish mine more like a fly than a spinner. I let them swing without much turning of the reel handle when the flow allows.

ellipse

Reaction score
If I am spinning, the Mepps is my preferred spinner in sizes ranging from a number 2 to a 5 with no specific colour combination with a varied retrieve but like
Rrrr, I find that casting at 90 degrees and letting the current swing them through the arc and then a slow retrieve parallel to the bank has proven very successful.

Meldon9

Reaction score
Had all my fish that i did catch spinning on the coquet last season on a size 2 gold mepp. I rekon they dont spook the fish as much in clear water.

In that case keep an eye on ebay or sales - am having a clear out of gold mepps

Rrrr

Reaction score
In that case keep an eye on ebay or sales - am having a clear out of gold mepps
Good few new starters this season on the fed page. Should sell quick on there.
Ive been using cheap ones from decathon for years now and buy them 10 at a time so have tons.

Loxie

Reaction score
On the Exe back in the day a no3 gold mepps Aglia was the number 1 catcher of salmon by far. I always used silver in coloured water, copper in September and gold the rest of the time. I liked the comet gold with red dots. I don't think the fish cared at all.

Sawyer

Reaction score
I predominantly fish a small spate river in North Wales & Mepps are my go to spinner. Fantastic for throwing up alongside your web bank & bringing back to your feet, amazing the fish that shoot out from the overhanging vegetation. We also have a lot of small “pots” behind rocks/trees where at best you can only get 7/8 turns of the reel handle (often a simple draw with the rod tip will suffice) & Mepps are deadly in those circumstances,

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Spinning is a great way to fish,especially if your wanting to cover a fair length of the beat quickly,say your only out for an hour or so. Today we have multiples of spinning lures,form the genuine French Aglia lures,( silver blade + blue spots( still the best on my neck of the woods) to rapalas,flying C’s, etc etc, but for me it’s how you fish em,I’ve seen so many young boys pull spinning lures through the water that a speedboat wouldn’t catch,you’ve GOT to turn the reel handle at a timing of “ one thousand 2 thousand 3 thousand “ you do that,and the games a bogie! Don’t turn,turn,turn. Sneaky sneaky catch a monkey,is the auld saying cause it works! Don’t just batter through a pool then walk away,you’ll see other anglers or at least hear of other men catching fish on spinners or whatever,so try that route,but undoubtedly the premier way to fish the almost unfishable parts,say it’s a great slow holding pool,but there’s branches coming out on the far side about 3 inches above the surface,branches at your back etc. ( I took 2 of ma sons and spent a full day with them learning them this) So cast your lure,now it’s GOT TO BE a floating rapala at the top of the run,DONT click over the bale arm,just let the line feed off till the lure is under all thon branches,a lot of the time it’ll go out of site,just brave it and let it run on. Now click your bale arm over and start retrieving SLOWLY,one thousand,two thousand,blah,blah blah,and I said one other time in a post,if there’s a salmon there you’ll at the very least you’ll turn it over the body,,,but most times they’ll attack it.So new season lads,new times,give that a go exactly as I’ve said and let me know if your onto a winner,but me and auld tam used this method for dunkeys and it brought home the bacon every time,but spinning can be very sore on ye,especially if your getting on a wee bit,given it pain in your sides,and it’s funny how folk always seem to hunch forward when spinning eh! . Then it’s sore sides,back broke,etc. but anyway this is mainly aimed at guys with The floaters,but just in general,SLOW spin,,and the million dollar answer is GET UP EARLY BEFORE THE REST,and hit thon water first. What do they say, fortune favors the brave 👍 Now a DONT know what your river is like,but bjesus you want to see thon lures hanging from branches on our river,orange flying C’s,blue wans,black,yellows, floats,spinners. Nearly every single chap that comes on flings over to the far side eh! and the salmon are sneakin up 2 feet out below his feet! but naw there he goes again right over to the far far bank,only this time it’s,pull pull,pull!! ! Because he’s up yon big branches,and they always say the same thing “ awe naw them rapalas are a tenner each ! Tams killin himself laughing 😂. So he’s pulled that much the trebles are now stuck deep and fast to the branch, then it’s a HUGE BIG TWACK,tams by this time is rolling about the grass tears all down his face,so what does the guy do. Straight into his bag and opens a brand new packet and ties on ANOTHER ONE,sure enough there he goes,away over to the far side again! Then it’s pull pull pull,tams like “ oh here jimmy we are away on here I canny take any more of this,that’s bad for yer heart ❤️........... jimmythefish.cart

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score
Spinning is a great way to fish,especially if your wanting to cover a fair length of the beat quickly,say your only out for an hour or so. Today we have multiples of spinning lures,form the genuine French Aglia lures,( silver blade + blue spots( still the best on my neck of the woods) to rapalas,flying C’s, etc etc, but for me it’s how you fish em,I’ve seen so many young boys pull spinning lures through the water that a speedboat wouldn’t catch,you’ve GOT to turn the reel handle at a timing of “ one thousand 2 thousand 3 thousand “ you do that,and the games a bogie! Don’t turn,turn,turn. Sneaky sneaky catch a monkey,is the auld saying cause it works! Don’t just batter through a pool then walk away,you’ll see other anglers or at least hear of other men catching fish on spinners or whatever,so try that route,but undoubtedly the premier way to fish the almost unfishable parts,say it’s a great slow holding pool,but there’s branches coming out on the far side about 3 inches above the surface,branches at your back etc. ( I took 2 of ma sons and spent a full day with them learning them this) So cast your lure,now it’s GOT TO BE a floating rapala at the top of the run,DONT click over the bale arm,just let the line feed off till the lure is under all thon branches,a lot of the time it’ll go out of site,just brave it and let it run on. Now click your bale arm over and start retrieving SLOWLY,one thousand,two thousand,blah,blah blah,and I said one other time in a post,if there’s a salmon there you’ll at the very least you’ll turn it over the body,,,but most times they’ll attack it.So new season lads,new times,give that a go exactly as I’ve said and let me know if your onto a winner,but me and auld tam used this method for dunkeys and it brought home the bacon every time,but spinning can be very sore on ye,especially if your getting on a wee bit,given it pain in your sides,and it’s funny how folk always seem to hunch forward when spinning eh! . Then it’s sore sides,back broke,etc. but anyway this is mainly aimed at guys with The floaters,but just in general,SLOW spin,,and the million dollar answer is GET UP EARLY BEFORE THE REST,and hit thon water first. What do they say, fortune favors the brave Now a DONT know what your river is like,but bjesus you want to see thon lures hanging from branches on our river,orange flying C’s,blue wans,black,yellows, floats,spinners. Nearly every single chap that comes on flings over to the far side eh! and the salmon are sneakin up 2 feet out below his feet! but naw there he goes again right over to the far far bank,only this time it’s,pull pull,pull!! ! Because he’s up yon big branches,and they always say the same thing “ awe naw them rapalas are a tenner each ! Tams killin himself laughing . So he’s pulled that much the trebles are now stuck deep and fast to the branch, then it’s a HUGE BIG TWACK,tams by this time is rolling about the grass tears all down his face,so what does the guy do. Straight into his bag and opens a brand new packet and ties on ANOTHER ONE,sure enough there he goes,away over to the far side again! Then it’s pull pull pull,tams like “ oh here jimmy we are away on here I canny take any more of this,that’s bad for yer heart ........... jimmythefish.cart
I also use the drifting trick with the floating rap. Let it drift, add a quick mend if needed and then a quick crank so it dives and away it goes. Ive also had a seatrout grab a floating yozuri just as it hit the surface and settled. It must have been watching it in the air.

Handel

Reaction score
I also use the drifting trick with the floating rap. Let it drift, add a quick mend if needed and then a quick crank so it dives and away it goes. Ive also had a seatrout grab a floating yozuri just as it hit the surface and settled. It must have been watching it in the air.

I have had a sea trout do the same with a rapala. I don't believe the rap ever hit the water, the sea trout just caight it as it came down. Well hooked too.

Isisalar

Reaction score
Mepps are great and I've had great success with them, I have though had even more success, mainly with Pike, with a very similar spinner, also French, with some advantages over the Mepps in a lot of circumstances. This is the Ondex range. Similar bar spoon design but the whole thing is far lighter than a Mepps with thinner blades with a larger surface area. In the hand you'd assume it wouldn't cast very far due to the lack of weight. They have a substantial woollen tag on the hook though which when wetted gives a good casting weight but when in the water has no effective weight at all. Being so light they can be retrieved fairly slowly in stillwater and will hang in the flow far better than an equivalent size Mepps when on the swing.
I've only ever used the classic red/black/silver version, a great silver fish combination but I see there's lots of other colours available now. Scope for different colour wool tags too. Yellow tag/black blade in spring?
Just search Ondex spinners.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Mepps are great and I've had great success with them, I have though had even more success, mainly with Pike, with a very similar spinner, also French, with some advantages over the Mepps in a lot of circumstances. This is the Ondex range. Similar bar spoon design but the whole thing is far lighter than a Mepps with thinner blades with a larger surface area. In the hand you'd assume it wouldn't cast very far due to the lack of weight. They have a substantial woollen tag on the hook though which when wetted gives a good casting weight but when in the water has no effective weight at all. Being so light they can be retrieved fairly slowly in stillwater and will hang in the flow far better than an equivalent size Mepps when on the swing.
I've only ever used the classic red/black/silver version, a great silver fish combination but I see there's lots of other colours available now. Scope for different colour wool tags too. Yellow tag/black blade in spring?
Just search Ondex spinners.
Is that them ? Had this sitting at work for years after seeing it in a shop. Never used it yet.

Isisalar

Reaction score
Similar, could be a different model to the ones I've used.
I'd put up a link but I got put on the naughty step last time and had the post buried.
Well known auction site is your friend.