Memories of Ponoi - Aug 2010

Springer

Reaction score
Alan
superb footage ;) what would the all in price be from uk to return including all the usual extras remember i don't drink as much as Altmor:D:D

Nobody drinks as much as him Shuggy ;)

The trip I am taking out to Ryabaga in July will come to £5,000 from your front door and will include everything but beer, the wine at dinner and vodka/soft drinks are free.

There is also a secret place where nobody goes, you might winkle one out if I show you. :D

orchy1999

Reaction score
All depends how much a pint is as i dont like to be rationed:D and dinae worry i will find the secret place one day:D

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Great piece of video, wonderful looking river, now all I need is to convince the missus!!
peter

Fruin

Reaction score
Looks fantastic Alan, and well done with the video - fairly whets the appetite for a Russian adventure.
It really does look like somewhere that you could spend a long time fishing.

Ally G

Reaction score
well done Springer,

very sharp footage with some well chosen pictures,

I was very impressed with your casting something for many of us to aspire to.

All the best for your 2011 trip

Strathglass

Reaction score
Some really good footage and some stunning images. I remembered seeing the shots of the early morning with the mist rising off the water at the time and they are superb. :cool:

The editing was really good and the use of your still images along with the video footage worked well however I hope you don't mind me saying that I personally thought it was around 6 or 7 mins too long. Hard job when you have so much you want in but the danger is people lose interest especially in montages like this when you don't actually have anyone talking to camera. Just my thoughts... ;)

Springer

Reaction score
This was my first attempt at making such a movie Neil, in the past they have just been short tutorials. I agree it was too long but I think I was keen to show as much as I could, maybe less would have been more as they say.

I never set out to make a film, the footage recorded and many of the pictures were 'holiday shots' while on a fishing trip, there was no thought to staging or telling the story. For example it looks like we fished from the boats far more than we actually did but while both of us were wading there was often nobody to film or photograph us!

Mind you I watched it through a couple of times today and it still gets me excited! and I was there :eek:

When I go out this year with the lads from the forum it will be with a view to getting much more high quality HD footage. Im afraid they wont look as good on camera as I do but you cant have everything ;) :D

Roll on July. :)

Strathglass

Reaction score
This was my first attempt at making such a movie Neil, in the past they have just been short tutorials. I agree it was too long but I think I was keen to show as much as I could, maybe less would have been more as they say.

I never set out to make a film, the footage recorded and many of the pictures were 'holiday shots' while on a fishing trip, there was no thought to staging or telling the story. For example it looks like we fished from the boats far more than we actually did but while both of us were wading there was often nobody to film or photograph us!

Mind you I watched it through a couple of times today and it still gets me excited! and I was there :eek:

When I go out this year with the lads from the forum it will be with a view to getting much more high quality HD footage. Im afraid they wont look as good on camera as I do but you cant have everything ;) :D

Roll on July. ;)

I guess the best thing about filming on trips like that is your guaranteed some good action shots. :)

You will be buying a headcam next.... :eek:

Eminem

Reaction score
Always enjoy watching this type of footage. Thanks for sharing. :cool:

Just to be a bit geeky, can I ask you what line you were using at 9 mins 25 seconds?

David B

Reaction score
Strathglass

I for one don't think the video is too long. I can never get enough of seeing people catch fish if I can't catch them myself - but then again it is a personal thing. ;);):D

PAC

Reaction score
Stunning stuff Springer. Looks amazing. Just gutted that my week on the Orkla clashes with your week.

deeceejay

Reaction score
Ponoi July 2011

springer said:
When I go out this year with the lads from the forum it will be with a view to getting much more high quality HD footage. Im afraid they wont look as good on camera as I do but you cant have everything

Alan,

Does this mean you are expecting us to get up early to have our hair done and make-up applied before we take to the river?

DCJ

Orca

Reaction score
Jealous as hell but have to say great vid & pics clips, Springer

Last edited:

Springer

Reaction score
Alan,

Does this mean you are expecting us to get up early to have our hair done and make-up applied before we take to the river?

DCJ

Have you got enough hair to have it done Duncan?

Ive got a nice big trowel for the make up ;)

salar35

Banned
Reaction score
clue in my post Simon :D

Naw....always thought that Springer looks more like the Sheriff of Nottingham (Alan Rickman) than Robin Hood (Kevin Costner)!!!!! Magic video - many thanks.

Last edited:

Nath

Reaction score
God that looks amazing! Bet that costs a sick amount of money!

Springer

Reaction score
Nine weeks today I will be sitting having dinner at the Helsinki Hilton just about now. The beer will be cold, the food will be good and I will be surrounded by excited faces, none of whom have fished Ponoi.

The anticipation is killing me :eek:

If anyone would like to join my group there are still a few places left. You never know you could end up a movie star!

silverleapers

Reaction score
More Please Sir??!

What did Oliver say?

"More please Sir?"

That made my weekend Springer. The Craic looked fantastic! Very well put together for my tastes and a testament to your very nature. 14 minutes is not long enough for my eyes. Thanks for the pseudo trip to Ponoi. I woke the wife up (on the second story) I laughed so hard!

I wish you luck, safety, and laughs with the trip this year...take LOTS of footage and snaps (hide his rod guys once he is a long way from camp so he films more).

Going back for another look at it with a second coffee....thanks again!

Cheers;
Silverleapers

Last edited:

Springer

Reaction score
what a video, what did u use to take the footage:)

The better quality stuff was taken with my Canon 7D, the video that is not so crisp was from my friends old camcorder. Lots of the stills were taken with the 7D and also Canon 1D IV.

The use of DSLR's for film making is becoming more and more popular as they achieve broadcast quality results for a fraction of the price of a dedicated pro video camera. That said my 7D rig is now probably running towards £2k at discounted street prices.

I am going out again this year in July and early September so hopefully I will get enough footage to make something better. In July we will be doing some dry fly fishing and Im hoping to get some takes on film. The only problem is I cant hold the rod and the camera at the same time!