McLean net Help

simonjh98

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've been using my Mclean Sea Trout sized net for 3 years now, and the plastic release buttons are starting to become hard to use.
Whenever I press down on the plastic release pin to slide the handle out to net a fish, the plastic pins get stuck and wont go down any further making it difficult to slide the net into the locked position. In order to press the pins down I have to use intense pressure to the point where it is too painful to push the pins in and requires two hands. Obviously this is a problem when one hand is playing the fish :ROFLMAO:

Is there any way to replace the pins or change them to metallic ones?

Thanks!

Sand dancer

Reaction score
I’ve been using one of these nets for the last 4 years. I never have the locked with the white button when I’m fishing as gravity keeps it in position. The only time I would lock the net in position is if I was weighting a fish.

My net spent a week missing in action after taking a trip down the south Tyne so I don't have faith in the accuracy of the scales anyway and don’t use the weigh feature now anyway.

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've been using my Mclean Sea Trout sized net for 3 years now, and the plastic release buttons are starting to become hard to use.
Whenever I press down on the plastic release pin to slide the handle out to net a fish, the plastic pins get stuck and wont go down any further making it difficult to slide the net into the locked position. In order to press the pins down I have to use intense pressure to the point where it is too painful to push the pins in and requires two hands. Obviously this is a problem when one hand is playing the fish :ROFLMAO:

Is there any way to replace the pins or change them to metallic ones?

Thanks!

I have the same problem so I am interested if you find a solution!

Pati

Reaction score
Have you tried contacting McLean directly? They are a serious bunch with excellent reputation and typically stand by their products. I m sure they will have an idea or two to help sort out the issue

info@mcleanangling.co.nz

sneakypeter

Reaction score
I use the big salmon net, i always carry it with the button below the block, so no need to press it to deploy the net, a good dose of WD40 will ease of the buttons and the scales need the same from time to time, just makes it easier to use. Moisture gets into the handle and steel springs rust, the WD40 sorts it.

leckytech

Reaction score
Hate these nets, I’ve had two. I ended up wrapping electrical tape on the net shaft to stop the button engaging so I could quick release should the need arise. Alas in the end I got rid and now I’m very happy with my Sharpes.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
As others have said, regular doses of WD40. It also helps to exercise the buttons - I use the nose of my mitten clamp pliers for the purpose. However, don’t be too energetic, otherwise the button can disappear into the handle, requiring fiddling with something thin and pointy to encourage it to re-emerge.

The ergonomics of the MacLean nets are poor. However, as mine was a gift from my children I can’t complain.