Maxcatch!

Rennie

Reaction score
Well, my order arrived today, have to say I cocked up by ordering just as they started their Chinese New Years Holidays, but no sweat.So I order two running lines, a 7 weight single Spey profile line and a 300yd spool of 30lb backing.
Giddily unwrapped my goodies as postie shuffled off back up the drive.One running line, 3 x 100yd spools of 30lb backing (what the ! ! ! !)
and the 7 weight Spey line- which came in a cellophane bag laid on top of the plastic spool and environmentally friendly cardboard box that it should be in!,lol.
Any way checked my original order which was as I stated 2x lots of running line, so fired off an e-mail.
So we'll see what happens there.
Have to say the loops on what lines I've received look very very neat and I'll get by with the backing suppose!
Nice pair of snips and a line straightener as freebie's.So once we get the running line order resolved on with pre season prep.- well in 3 weeks time any way!.
Pedro.

Last edited:

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
I'm just waiting for my new flyrod and reel that I ordered on the 4th and it's in Newcastle this Evening so on schedule for delivery on Friday
I have used their stuff for a few years now and can't fault it to be honest.
You don't get fancy packaging or boxes but you do get the stuff that's usually in those fancy boxes at a fraction of the cost.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Looking forward to your opinions especially on the single Spey line.
What rod are you going to pair it with ?

Rennie

Reaction score
Its going on my 10ft Sage SP 7 weight Colin.Have to fettle it 1st and as yet still can't travel here so be a while untill I get a thrash with it.Soon as I do, will post something up no probs.
Pedro.

lefthandup

Reaction score
Its going on my 10ft Sage SP 7 weight Colin.Have to fettle it 1st and as yet still can't travel here so be a while untill I get a thrash with it.Soon as I do, will post something up no probs.
Pedro.
Sound...I bought the 8# for my 7# so I'm looking forward to see what your thoughts are.
Running lines also, I had a look at them the other day but I think I counted 4 !
What one did you go for ?

Rennie

Reaction score
I ordered two 20lb Connect Core running lines with the 14ft handling section for my switch rods, but only received the one!.
Any way, what I've got looks pretty good, loops are as good as any I've seen, colours are fine, prior to use I've no complaints with the one I received so far!.
Work now untill Sat evening, so have to fettle that one after then.
Quality looks good on all I've received so far so it's a thumbs up!
Pedro.

SteveG

Reaction score
Well, my order arrived today, have to say I cocked up by ordering just as they started their Chinese New Years Holidays, but no sweat.So I order two running lines, a 7 weight single Spey profile line and a 300yd spool of 30lb backing.
Giddily unwrapped my goodies as post shuffled off back up the drive.One running line, 3 x 100yd spools of 30lb backing 9 what the ! ! ! !)
and the 7 weight Spey line- which came in a cellophane bag laid on top of the plastic spool and environmentally friendly cardboard box that it should be in!,lol.
Any way checked my original order which was as I stated 2x lots of running line, so fired off an e-mail.
Have to say the loops on what lines I've received look very very neat and I'll get by with the backing suppose!
Nice pair of snips and a line straightener as freebie's.So once we get the running line order resolved on with pre season prep.- well in 3 weeks time any way!.
Pedro.
They sent the same 3x100 spools to me but all sorted out in fact they sent me 2x300 and told me to keep the 3 incorrect ones - just need to find a use for it now 😂

chriswjx

Reaction score
They sent the same 3x100 spools to me but all sorted out in fact they sent me 2x300 and told me to keep the 3 incorrect ones - just need to find a use for it now 😂

Wait, so they sent you out another 2 spools? :ROFLMAO: great deal that

Giddily unwrapped my goodies as post shuffled off back up the drive.One running line, 3 x 100yd spools of 30lb backing 9 what the ! ! ! !)
Pedro.

I've found their pretty sharpish replying to their facebook, never heard back from their email though 😅

SteveG

Reaction score
Wait, so they sent you out another 2 spools? :ROFLMAO: great deal that

I've found their pretty sharpish replying to their facebook, never heard back from their email though 😅
Yeah I now have two 300 yards spools and 3 100 yard spools 👍

chriswjx

Reaction score
Hello.
Did any of you have to pay any import duties now we are out of the EU.

Many thank's
C-H

I've never paid duty on any of my maxcatch (or AliExpress) orders. Maxcatch always mark the value of whatever I've bought (lines and a wee reel) as $8. Not sure about the folk who've bought rods though

MikeCC

Reaction score
If your an Amazon Prime member you can buy most of the Maxcatch gear on amazon and get next day delivery, rather than waiting several weeks from China. Its more expensive to do it that way but if your in a hurry for something and dont mind paying a bit more then its a good way to source items quickly. Its still cheap as chips, even buying it from amazon.

chriswjx

Reaction score
If your an Amazon Prime member you can buy most of the Maxcatch gear on amazon and get next day delivery, rather than waiting several weeks from China. Its more expensive to do it that way but if your in a hurry for something and dont mind paying a bit more then its a good way to source items quickly. Its still cheap as chips, even buying it from amazon.

I found the mark up from amazon is usually about 40-50% of the original price. Did come in handy when I needed a new line ASAP, but amazon's making a hefty cut for using their warehouses as a UK distribution point...

MikeCC

Reaction score
Yeah theyre certainly taking their cut Chris.
The last line I bought was £14.70 direct from Maxcatch, or £19.50 next day Amazon. I didnt need it in a hurry so went with the snail mail option from China. Took about 3 weeks to arrive.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Yeah theyre certainly taking their cut Chris.
The last line I bought was £14.70 direct from Maxcatch, or £19.50 next day Amazon. I didnt need it in a hurry so went with the snail mail option from China. Took about 3 weeks to arrive.

Zon's put up their prices more, a maxcatch gold is £13 direct, or £22.80 via Amazon 😥 Guess it might be because the amazon price includes VAT, and import duty as they'd send bulk stock for distribution but still... If I can afford to wait, I will 😅

Edit: Maxcatch price is actually less than that (£11.40) as there's the 20% discount code too...

MikeCC

Reaction score
That Gold line is the one line that amazon tend not to play about with too much price wise, its pretty much always pegged around £22 including next day delivery. From China, ive seen it vary from around £10 to about £14. Theres also normally a 20% discount knocking around that you can screw the ‘China’ price down even further. Makes you wonder how on earth Rio can get away with charging 80 odd quid for literally the same thing! I’ve got both the Chinese version as well as Rio’s and I genuinely struggle to notice any difference. Perhaps the Rio might last longer, who knows, time will tell.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Completely agree... Well, Rio do have the marketing down pat in as much as they still get people to pay that money... and still launch "new" product ranges and convince people they need em... their brand new Skagit Max Launch/Power have utterly confused me as a fairly new angler...

Rrrr

Reaction score
Wonder how long itl be untill they release a rio grip shooter knock off. Wouldnt mind one but not prepared to part with what rio are wanting to find it gets one day out and binned

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

lefthandup

Reaction score
The line Pedro has bought I also have so I'm really interested in what Pedro thinks compared to the Rio line of similar.

I have the Maxcatch Skagit lines too and have used the Rio ones as well.

I still think the Rio are better but not £50 or £60 better. ...in both cases .

Rainclouds

Reaction score
I wonder what the blue floating shooting heads are like. They don't give weight in grams or grains. I shouldn't care as I have too many lines anyway.

Rrrr

Reaction score
The line Pedro has bought I also have so I'm really interested in what Pedro thinks compared to the Rio line of similar.

I have the Maxcatch Skagit lines too and have used the Rio ones as well.

I still think the Rio are better but not £50 or £60 better. ...in both cases .
Do you use rio mow tips etc with the maxcatch skagit head or do they make a version ? Quite fancy one just to see how i get on with a skagit head but dont fancy paying more for tips than the head cost

chriswjx

Reaction score
Do you use rio mow tips etc with the maxcatch skagit head or do they make a version ? Quite fancy one just to see how i get on with a skagit head but dont fancy paying more for tips than the head cost

They don't make T-tips unfortunately. Though, I guess you could rationalise paying the prices for T-tips because they're not specific to a particular skagit head?

Rrrr

Reaction score
They don't make T-tips unfortunately.
Thats a shame. 25 quid a peice for the rio ones aswel and a gamble as to wether the sink rate etc suit.
Think ill stick to my scandi heads or airflo rage this season as i can get enough depth with polyleaders for most places i fish.

lefthandup

Reaction score

I have Rio tips I had when in BC...and also tips from an old Monteith line.

chriswjx

Reaction score
Thats a shame. 25 quid a peice for the rio ones aswel and a gamble as to wether the sink rate etc suit.
Think ill stick to my scandi heads or airflo rage this season as i can get enough depth with polyleaders for most places i fish.

The airflo ones aren't quite as eyewatering, still dear though... Think their £60-70 a set?