Maxcatch Skagit Shooting Head

Snakeroll

Reaction score
Anybody out there tried any of these lines. I know they're cheap but even a blind pig can find an acorn sometimes.

Sash

Reaction score
I bought one to try Skagit out, and the head seems to be pretty good, and true to weight.
The welded loops are bulky, and wont easily go through my rod tip, but I suspect that that is the nature of all welded loops in this weight of line.
At c.£20, well worth trying out, IMO.

Rennie

Reaction score
Agreed, I have one of their Skagit lines, as its not a regular use line the price seem's just fine.I gather that they are a direct copy of the Rio Flight Skagits (as the far eastern chaps are prone to doing!) or maybe even a collection of a few makes best features!.It works fine, unremarkable I'd say and the loops are a tadge bigger than perhaps on a premium brand line, but it'll do what it says on the tin in fine style.
In time Maxcatch will pick up on the lines little niggles and they'll evolve a lot quicker than a U.S. of A manufactured line, which tend to give you what you want in yearly advances stage by stage at far greater cost!- perhaps,lol.
Any way, very worth a punt!.
Pedro.

rodbender

Reaction score
I have just bought the "Maxcatch real gold" 7wt trout line, it is very supple and the head length and weight is almost identical to a Rio gold. :unsure:

NEbody

Reaction score
I’ve got a couple to try a Skagit system, in the expectation that it wasn’t something I’d use much. As said above, the loops are a bit clunky but otherwise they seem fine.

I’ve also just blown a bit less than £9 (inc. delivery) on one of their Connectcore running lines to see if that works. Again, the loops aren’t great but I‘ve yet to try it.

lefthandup

Reaction score
I have one and quite like it...the bulky welded loops are the only minor defect.

Still nowhere near my mates Rio skagit (long) which I would buy but not for the price they retail at.

Mickfish

Reaction score
I bought a 17' scandi head (25 grams) to use on a switch rod for trout and sea trout streamer fishing. It was only £17 casts brilliantly in my garden and is nice and smooth and is looped at both ends. I'm going to use it with mono running line (look at the thread on that to see how I prepared the mono to make it limp).

Obviously only long term use will tell me how good at is but early signs are encouraging and I loved the price - BTW I bought it off Amazon so I didn't have to wait an age for it, though it may have cost a little more in this way.

Mick

Last edited:

Rennie

Reaction score
I’ve got a couple to try a Skagit system, in the expectation that it wasn’t something I’d use much. As said above, the loops are a bit clunky but otherwise they seem fine.

I’ve also just blown a bit less than £9 (inc. delivery) on one of their Connectcore running lines to see if that works. Again, the loops aren’t great but I‘ve yet to try it.
NEbody, looking at those running line myself.Be interested on your thoughts once you settle with it!.
Cheers, Pedro.

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
NEbody, looking at those running line myself.Be interested on your thoughts once you settle with it!.
Cheers, Pedro.
I use the connect core running lines and they are fine. If you aren't in a hurry you are better ordering off the max catch site as opposed to ebay as they are even cheaper just take a few weeks to arrive from China.
Also got the skagits in most weights and they are perfectly good too.

Isisalar

Reaction score
I've had several Maxcatch rods and lines including a 600gr Skagit. Can't see me buying much else, lines wise, in future. I think it's only because they are sold so cheaply people think they must be rubbish, they're definitely not.
The similarities between them and some Rio lines are so striking as to be suspicious. Check out the specs and the diagrams of both, particularly the single handed spey and the in touch switch lines.
It's almost as if the two different lines are made by the same manufacturer.

lefthandup

Reaction score
I've had several Maxcatch rods and lines including a 600gr Skagit. Can't see me buying much else, lines wise, in future. I think it's only because they are sold so cheaply people think they must be rubbish, they're definitely not.
The similarities between them and some Rio lines are so striking as to be suspicious. Check out the specs and the diagrams of both, particularly the single handed spey and the in touch switch lines.
It's almost as if the two different lines are made by the same manufacturer.
TBF , I've used both the maxcatch single handed Spey and the Rio one and the Rio is far superior for me anyway.

Not that the maxcatch is a bad line btw.

Mickfish

Reaction score
I bought a 17' scandi head (25 grams) to use on a switch rod for trout and sea trout streamer fishing. It was only £17 casts brilliantly in my garden and is nice and smooth and is looped at both ends. I'm going to use it with mono running line (look at the thread on that to see how I prepared the mono to make it limp).

Obviously only long term use will tell me how good at is but early signs are encouraging and I loved the price - BTW I bought it off Amazon so I didn't have to wait an age for it though it may have cost a little extra.

Mick

lefthandup

Reaction score
That's very interesting. How would you say the Rio is far superior?
The running line is far superior to the maxcatch one....I think the head length is a little longer too on the maxcatch...always found the Rio one a lot slicker and easier in the cast.