Maxcatch Classic Reel

lefthandup

Reaction score
planned on using it on the shakespeare skagit 13.9, havent set it on the rod yet as i need to get the dremmel on the reel first, looks like i'll get a decent amount of backing on it and hopefully my rage 660 , just stuck it on my 14 oracle and must say it just looks right to me, so it was a good result sizewise, slightly wider than a salmon wide beaudex and slightly smaller diameter, just put a 44 ft 10/11 s/head on it and looks like it'll take at least 100 to 150 yds of backing no problems, so with a short rage on it should take more, looking forward to using it.
I think they are a bargain ..if they last !

Reactions: gmm

rytenuff

Reaction score
planned on using it on the shakespeare skagit 13.9, havent set it on the rod yet as i need to get the dremmel on the reel first, looks like i'll get a decent amount of backing on it and hopefully my rage 660 , just stuck it on my 14 oracle and must say it just looks right to me, so it was a good result sizewise, slightly wider than a salmon wide beaudex and slightly smaller diameter, just put a 44 ft 10/11 s/head on it and looks like it'll take at least 100 to 150 yds of backing no problems, so with a short rage on it should take more, looking forward to using it.
Think I would prefer to cut off one of the lock rings on the reel seat, G. but each to his own. ( slip a piece of card under the locking ring to protect the reel seat and cut with a hacksaw. The cardboard starts to move when you have cut through so you know when to stop. No scratches.)

gmm

Reaction score
i just remembered i have a cheapo dremmel type thing that came with some really small cutting discs, will need to see how far i can keep them from the fitting . got the reel sorted nearly, took the sharp edge off it with some jewelers files and i'll give it a final rub with some ceramic pieces i'm still trying to find

goodwin8288

Reaction score
juat recieved my one (7-9) this morning, mostly very nice machining, but the inside of the line guide/pillars on the reel are razor sharp,guaranteed to strip the coatings of any fly line, so i guess a light rub with 600 g wet and dry and then something finer will hopefully sort it out, so anyone thats bought one, its worth having a check for sharp edges where your fly line might be in contact with it
mine were all like that so a quick rub with some fine sandpaper sorts it out before putting a line on !!

lefthandup

Reaction score
Performed well yesterday.
I cranked the drag up fairly tight on this fish just to see how it would perform.
I'd normally have it set a quarter turn back...I was pleased enough with the result.
Wish it was a little bit louder but it's a small negative for such little money.

whiter

Reaction score
I bought one direct from China earlier this year via eBay under the brand name Aventik (exactly the same as Maxcatch reel) to use on a 12ft double hander. As gmm says, the insides of the line guides are very sharp. Didn't notice until it sliced the coating off a length of Gaelforce line and then I filed them down. You get what you pay for. Weird construction; lots of fiddly little screws; rather basic. Difficult to switch to right hand wind, as no instructions came with it and I could only find them on the Maxcatch website. Had to basically take the whole thing apart. Because the drum is quite wide with a small arbor it's a bit of a nuisance when trying to get line back on the reel. I've put it away and gone back to a previous Vision reel.

lefthandup

Reaction score
I bought one direct from China earlier this year via eBay under the brand name Aventik (exactly the same as Maxcatch reel) to use on a 12ft double hander. As gmm says, the insides of the line guides are very sharp. Didn't notice until it sliced the coating off a length of Gaelforce line and then I filed them down. You get what you pay for. Weird construction; lots of fiddly little screws; rather basic. Difficult to switch to right hand wind, as no instructions came with it and I could only find them on the Maxcatch website. Had to basically take the whole thing apart. Because the drum is quite wide with a small arbor it's a bit of a nuisance when trying to get line back on the reel. I've put it away and gone back to a previous Vision reel.
I'm not giving up on mine yet, I haven't noticed the sharp guides on the one I have purchased , and had no problems putting a line on it.

I've another one on the way..7/9 this time.
What would you suggest I lubricate the inside with once the season ends?

gmm

Reaction score
apart from the sharp line guides l've only had one niggle with mine so far, the handle came loose, easy fix though, a few mins, i have more backing on it than i'll ever need and 50 yards of 40lb amnesia with a rage 660, fills the spool perfectly,

Mattytree

Reaction score
Sorry Colin would of been an easy trade , only decided to this afternoon to have a clear out after swapping some running lines around and put the old Lamson back on...I figure for a 7# rod fishing I need to be as stealth as possible and the clicker on the classic isnt !

lefthandup

Reaction score
Couple of pointers on this reel.

I purchased the 7/9 version and now have both salmon reels.

What strikes me is the quality difference between the two reels with the bigger of the two being a far superior reel.

As has been mentioned...the line guards on the 7/9 are really sharp and do need blunted down...also the drag seems scatty and feels like it may fail at some point....the whole reel feels weak if that's the correct word to use.

However, it's big brother feels absolutely fine with the rounded guards too...just feels like a tighter designed model all round.

I wonder if they updated the spec on the big one...I may take them apart over the close season and have a look.

Pity about the smaller reel, as I really like the look of it on my switch rod...but I think I'll be back on my Marquis next year.

The 7/9 in action.