Maxcatch Classic Reel

Rennie

Reaction score
Just wondering, has any one taken a punt on one of the Maxcatch Classic reels at all, the one thats a bit Loop Classic- ish.
Not expecting miracles from one, but for my new switch rod just wondering about capacities if any one has any feed back in the 7/9 and the 9/10 and which may be better for an 8 weight 40+ Airflo and enough backing.
Many thanks, Pedro.

ACW

Reaction score
On the fff sister forum there is a maxcatch thred ,worth asking there ,your logi from here workd exactly the same !

Isisalar

Reaction score
Have only had one reel from Maxcatch and it was stolen after its first outing. It was very good quality though. They seem to be a manufacturer making excellent products at good prices.
Got 2 switch and one spinning rod and their fly-lines are OK too, for peanuts. Skagit head about £14 eg. Switch line a similar price. Running line about £7

Greegs

Reaction score
Have only had one reel from Maxcatch and it was stolen after its first outing. It was very good quality though. They seem to be a manufacturer making excellent products at good prices.
Got 2 switch and one spinning rod and their fly-lines are OK too, for peanuts. Skagit head about £14 eg. Switch line a similar price. Running line about £7
I’ve heard nothing but good things about Maxcatch gear.

Someone told me their Skagit heads are really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SP8

Reaction score
It would seem the company may well make a lot of gear for some rather well known brands. I hear their fly lines are particularly good and a fraction of the cost of the competition which they may ( or not) resemble closely!!! The thread on FFF is very informative and generally very positive.

SP8

Greegs

Reaction score
It would seem the company may well make a lot of gear for some rather well known brands. I hear their fly lines are particularly good and a fraction of the cost of the competition which they may ( or not) resemble closely!!! The thread on FFF is very informative and generally very positive.

SP8
I was reading up on the reviews of this Cla reel & one of them was a guy fishing for king salmon & his largest being 35lb.

If your in the market for a reel it could be worth a punt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piker20

Reaction score
I got the 7 weight. Its a large capacity reel. More suited to spey line #7. The clicker gave up on mine first year, small bit of metal that must have been bent out of shape.
For the money it's still ok. Drag isn't bad and it looks a bit better than a plastic reel for the same price.
Weight does help balance longer rods.

Tyke

Reaction score
Go on, buy it Pete!

Then if I see you swearing and throwing it into the river I won't waste my money, but if your' grinning & looking up from the rim of a very full landing net, I may just invest a few quid!

Regards, Tyke.

goodwin8288

Reaction score
Hi yes iv got 3 of them the 7/9 size perfect on a switch rod good quality good strong clutch look and sound nice and my dad also has the same

lefthandup

Reaction score
Hi yes iv got 3 of them the 7/9 size perfect on a switch rod good quality good strong clutch look and sound nice and my dad also has the same
I have the one above that and I really like it.
How would the 7/9 size go on a 13 ft rod ?
Mines is maybe a little bulky and looks like it would go on a 15 foot rod much better.

Only fault I'd give on it so far is ..id preferred it with a blank side plate .

Snakeroll

Reaction score
Just wondering, has any one taken a punt on one of the Maxcatch Classic reels at all, the one thats a bit Loop Classic- ish.
Not expecting miracles from one, but for my new switch rod just wondering about capacities if any one has any feed back in the 7/9 and the 9/10 and which may be better for an 8 weight 40+ Airflo and enough backing.
Many thanks, Pedro.
I got one of these reels but from a different supplier( from memory £45) my only issues were the screws securing the reel foot are placed underneath and not on top. Loctite/superglue fixed that.

On balance a very good reel for the price. Goes well switch - 13 ft rods.

Steve

goodwin8288

Reaction score
I have the one above that and I really like it.
How would the 7/9 size go on a 13 ft rod ?
Mines is maybe a little bulky and looks like it would go on a 15 foot rod much better.

Only fault I'd give on it so far is ..id preferred it with a blank side plate .
Hi no i dont think it would be big enough on a 13ft rod mine are full with a switch line and some backing not sure a 13ft line would fit i can measure the reels if you would like ?

lefthandup

Reaction score
Hi no i dont think it would be big enough on a 13ft rod mine are full with a switch line and some backing not sure a 13ft line would fit i can measure the reels if you would like ?
Thanks...the diameter and reel cage are on the max catch web...
Although the diameter is slightly smaller than a marquis 2 which fits perfectly on a 13 ft rod the cage is wider...id love to see the smaller one in the flesh so to speak...
Cheers

fishhead

Reaction score
I have a 9ft 10wt with reel and line for the salt and the odd pike trip, I picked it up in Australia on a work trip and it does the job and has not fallen apart yet. I got a spare spool with a skagit line but not had a chance to try it yet on a double handed rod

Piker20

Reaction score
As mentioned above I have had issues with the reel seat loosening as the screws are under and not top down. Some superglue seems to have resolved the issue.
Still happy with it as a line holder.

goodwin8288

Reaction score
Thanks...the diameter and reel cage are on the max catch web...
Although the diameter is slightly smaller than a marquis 2 which fits perfectly on a 13 ft rod the cage is wider...id love to see the smaller one in the flesh so to speak...
Cheers
no worries if i ever come up your way fishing you would be welcome to try it!!

gmm

Reaction score
juat recieved my one (7-9) this morning, mostly very nice machining, but the inside of the line guide/pillars on the reel are razor sharp,guaranteed to strip the coatings of any fly line, so i guess a light rub with 600 g wet and dry and then something finer will hopefully sort it out, so anyone thats bought one, its worth having a check for sharp edges where your fly line might be in contact with it

lefthandup

Reaction score
juat recieved my one (7-9) this morning, mostly very nice machining, but the inside of the line guide/pillars on the reel are razor sharp,guaranteed to strip the coatings of any fly line, so i guess a light rub with 600 g wet and dry and then something finer will hopefully sort it out, so anyone thats bought one, its worth having a check for sharp edges where your fly line might be in contact with it
What size of rod do you plan to use it on?

I went for the size up and find it a little bulky on my 13 ft ....how would your size fair on that size of rod?

Cheers for the heads up on that...I'll check that out tomorrow when I'm on the river 👍

Reactions: gmm

gmm

Reaction score
planned on using it on the shakespeare skagit 13.9, havent set it on the rod yet as i need to get the dremmel on the reel first, looks like i'll get a decent amount of backing on it and hopefully my rage 660 , just stuck it on my 14 oracle and must say it just looks right to me, so it was a good result sizewise, slightly wider than a salmon wide beaudex and slightly smaller diameter, just put a 44 ft 10/11 s/head on it and looks like it'll take at least 100 to 150 yds of backing no problems, so with a short rage on it should take more, looking forward to using it.