Mature sea trout colour

pond.olive

Reaction score
Guys, I need some info from more experienced fishers than myself:

When a sea Seatrout has been in the river a long time, does it then begin to look like a brownie with spots, or does it do the salmon thing and go red and black?

i took a spotty one this morning which was very much bigger than the brownies I am used to in the S Tyne. It would probably gone seven or more pounds. Could it have been a ferox? Normal Tyne brownies rarely go to a couple of pounds in my experience.

Mattytree

Reaction score
They pretty much revert back too a brown trout colours but maybe a slightly a slightly greener tinge ... once there sea scales fall off in fresh water they are pretty much a brownie underneath.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Did it have a big blaco head ? Could have been a bull/slob trout. Basicly a seatrout that never fully goes to sea. They usualy have big heads and can be almost black. Not common tyese days but there is a few about.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
Did it have a big black head ? Could have been a bull/slob trout. Basicly a seatrout that never fully goes to sea. They usualy have big heads and can be almost black. Not common tyese days but there is a few about.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

salarium

Banned
Reaction score
Her's a pic of a coloured seatrout, R G. witha fish well off the river, South Tyne

Lambley Farm Holiday Cottages That's our biggest Sea trout landed in 16 years during our Ownership of Lambley Smashes previous records of 9lb 10 & 9lb 4 oz 23167788_959446510872435_802266780290920978_n.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21259

A crocodile that I took on the Lune. Weighed about 6lbs and had been in the river so long the other fish bought it an armchair

Sash

Reaction score
Sewin1 W Cleddau 22Sept2018.jpg
This is a Sewin I caught on the Western Cleddau at the weekend: I almost thought it was a Brown while it was in the water, but the Browns in this river are red-spotted and a fraction of this size.