Massive farmer caught

jimmythefish

Reaction score
One of the lads caught a huge farmer on the river gryffe yesterday,which took him 20 minutes to land,I forgot to ask the young lads permission if I could show it,but I can go back and ask him if anyone is that interested,but it seems that the farmers are now coming up on the tide into the Clyde,as that’s the first I’ve been notified of,just thought some of the lads would want to know,as last year the rascals were spread out near and far..........jimmy.

Fons

Reaction score
I suppose you mean by "farmer" a "hero", once wise enough to survive the filleting tables, enjoyed some extra years from freedom and the wealthy food table at sea to become huge enough to fight his way back to a river system to perform its final spawning duties? If so; he deserves my full respect for making more of his life than his "master farmer":unsure: had in mind. I wouldn't be disappointed catching a fish with such a remarkable story;). Well done to the young lad.

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
I suppose you mean by "farmer" a "hero", once wise enough to survive the filleting tables, enjoyed some extra years from freedom and the wealthy food table at sea to become huge enough to fight his way back to a river system to perform its final spawning duties? If so; he deserves my full respect for making more of his life than his "master farmer":unsure: had in mind. I wouldn't be disappointed catching a fish with such a remarkable story;). Well done to the young lad.
A "farmer" is an escaped fish from one of the disease filled cages up the West coast, nothing remarkable about it.

D

Deleted member 10733

A "farmer" is an escaped fish from one of the disease filled cages up the West coast, nothing remarkable about it.
Well if it survived to grow "huge", that would be quite remarkable and precisely what Fons meant, I think. A picture would be nice, just to see how big it actually is.

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
Ya dik

charlieH

Reaction score

I hope not! The effect of Interbreeding and genetic introgression from farm stock should not be underestimated. Take away the sea cages and the plague of sea lice will go with them; it will take far longer for the effects of interbreeding to work their way out of the system.

Chicharito

Reaction score
Could make a good competition. Complete the sentence ' Massive farmer caught.........'
I am racking my brains trying to come up with a punchline?
No apologies for the hijack of the thread!

Fons

Reaction score
I hope not! The effect of Interbreeding and genetic introgression from farm stock should not be underestimated. Take away the sea cages and the plague of sea lice will go with them; it will take far longer for the effects of interbreeding to work their way out of the system.
I agree completely BUT I doubt if it is avoidable. Salmon industrie is work, is food, is economy. l don't see that economic activity disappearing in the coming decade. And the day it disappears, we might expect more netting or poaching pressure on wild salmon. The ideal solution might come from "closed producing facilities" on land but that needs massive investments and that is a slow moving process.

On the other hand, salmon reproduction is one of the hardest selection exams to succeed on this planet. And they do it normally only once in their lifetime. I wonder if a few "cage survivors" reaching spawning grounds could have a catastrophic impact on the common salmon genetics. At the end the genetics best adapted to real living circumstances will reproduce more youngsters than the others and stay dominant.

The big thread (more than genetic modification) I see is the development of salmon diseases in these overcrowded salmon cages and then spreading to wild salmon stocks.

Rainclouds

Reaction score
I agree completely BUT I doubt if it is avoidable. Salmon industrie is work, is food, is economy. l don't see that economic activity disappearing in the coming decade. And the day it disappears, we might expect more netting or poaching pressure on wild salmon. The ideal solution might come from "closed producing facilities" on land but that needs massive investments and that is a slow moving process.

On the other hand, salmon reproduction is one of the hardest selection exams to succeed on this planet. And they do it normally only once in their lifetime. I wonder if a few "cage survivors" reaching spawning grounds could have a catastrophic impact on the common salmon genetics. At the end the genetics best adapted to real living circumstances will reproduce more youngsters than the others and stay dominant.

The big thread (more than genetic modification) I see is the development of salmon diseases in these overcrowded salmon cages and then spreading to wild salmon stocks.
Polluting the gene pool with domesticated genetics has to be one of the greatest threats to the species. Would Khaki Campbell stock improve Mallard populations by your reasoning?

Andrew B

Reaction score
Hope it was dispatched as C&R of farmed fish would just fit in with the last years craziness

westie4566

Reaction score

Perhaps you should research the escapes from fish farms ever since the filthy industry started up. It's hardly 'a few' farmed fish that have been interbreeding with our wild stock.

Craigk670

Reaction score
One of the lads caught a huge farmer on the river gryffe yesterday,which took him 20 minutes to land,I forgot to ask the young lads permission if I could show it,but I can go back and ask him if anyone is that interested,but it seems that the farmers are now coming up on the tide into the Clyde,as that’s the first I’ve been notified of,just thought some of the lads would want to know,as last year the rascals were spread out near and far..........jimmy.aye their still about in fresh water haven’t heard of any on the tides down here in Ayrshire . Was the fish gutted was the flesh brown in side

jimmythefish

Reaction score
Well if it survived to grow "huge", that would be quite remarkable and precisely what Fons meant, I think. A picture would be nice, just to see how big it actually is.
Put it this way,it’s bigger than thon boys you SEE in the cellophane in tesco .

D

Deleted member 10733

Put it this way,it’s bigger than thon boys you SEE in the cellophane in tesco .
I'm sorry, I don't get to see whole farmed salmon over here. Neither do we have Tesco. But I get your point. It's bigger, but not huge. Thanks for the info.