March Fly Swap

gwelsher

Reaction score
I'll still be rushing to get them finished!!! :lol:

I go to the vice fully intending to tie swap flies. I then think of something I've seen on the forum and try a version of it instead. :doh:

I still only have one fly finished but have tailed, bodied and varnished another 7. If I even could get the tails and bodies finished but I'm more likely to try a version of gwelsher's cascade pigs than what I'm meant to be doing. Is it any wonder I never tried to sell flies!!! :lol:

Blinking hell 1 finished and 7 started, I haven't even started as I've been been too busy mucking out the pigs.

wormo

Reaction score
I've done a few standard one's at the moment but like jockiescott I'll probably change my mind and do something different :doh: , I'll also send a few extra fly's to add into the charity box ??

View attachment 42678

that's a beauty,what's your black wing , I've been searching for a black wing material for a long time that im really happy with but as yet still looking, went off fox squirrel as I preferred amore mobile material , rabbit looked ok but was quite short and compressed easily , tried shadow and marble fox but still not quite right

iainmortimer

Reaction score
With Carbisdale Caster withdrawing, are we tying 8+ 1 for charity or still doing 10 + 1?

Thanks, Iain

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
that's a beauty,what's your black wing , I've been searching for a black wing material for a long time that im really happy with but as yet still looking, went off fox squirrel as I preferred amore mobile material , rabbit looked ok but was quite short and compressed easily , tried shadow and marble fox but still not quite right

Arctic runner ??

charlieH

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

...I'm more likely to try a version of gwelsher's cascade pigs than what I'm meant to be doing. Is it any wonder I never tried to sell flies!!! :lol:

I know just what you mean. These days I always try to tie in threes - one to lose, one to give away and one to fish being the theory. But to sit down and tie a dozen of the same pattern would be a bit mind-numbing (though it might make me a better tier).

However, the last couple of weekends' weather has been so filthy that I have in fact managed to get mine finished. I've done 11, in anticipation of there being 10 tiers plus one for the charity box, but it doesn't matter if there are fewer. Wormo, will you PM your address, or would you rather that I hold off sending them for now?

gwelsher

Reaction score
One more coat of varnish and that's me away to the postie :amen:
I had an awful struggle with the orange hackle. It was a new cape and the feathers did not want to wind without twisting. Is there such a thing as a left handed cape :lol:
PM your address Craig.

! Swap.jpg

Last edited:

Fergal1975

Reaction score
I see my name down as one of the participants on page one. I was only asking a question about the fly swap, I wasn’t joining in. Sorry for the confusion

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Just two more to go... I’ll aim to get them done and posted by the end of the week.

Wormo, could you send me your address please. I presume in the pack put label and stamps for return posting?

0CFCADFE-FE17-4183-85A7-820974B242C5.jpeg

Last edited:

wormo

Reaction score
hi guys I hopefully have sent a pm to all involved , many thanks for your participation we are down to 7 so if you have done extra , throw them in and I'll add them to a selection to auction off at the end of the season
gwelsher and charlie h flies recieved and they are beauties I'll post a pic of the lot once here

Jockiescott

Reaction score
hi guys I hopefully have sent a pm to all involved , many thanks for your participation we are down to 7 so if you have done extra , throw them in and I'll add them to a selection to auction off at the end of the season
gwelsher and charlie h flies recieved and they are beauties I'll post a pic of the lot once here

I've 9 done so that'll be enough for everyone in the swap. I'll also throw in a more traditional coloured cascade that can go in the box. I'll hopefully get them posted by the weekend.

wormo

Reaction score
As there is alot of nice flies going up at the moment what do you guys say to attempting a revival of the once popular fly swap?

From memory it's best capped at 10 members
im happy to organise themes if we get interest
same format as previous but if you are a new to the swaps
you are required

1 put yer name down , first come first served max 10 members
2 tie up 10 flies that match the theme , can be single, double , tube , waddie etc
3 post pics of said flees
4 post them to me and I'll divi them up and post back
simples ?

The theme to get us started will be the well known and deadly CASCADE a fly everyone should have in their box
so many varieties too you could have original, gold, holographic, Aurora, or your original take on the fly the choice is yours as long as it resembles the original pattern
so who's in?
ps NO TREBLES please as mentioned some rivers dont allow them

participants so far
wormo
lamsonv10
jockiescott
Fergal1975
iainmortimer
carbisdale caster
gwelsher
billy fish
charlieH

I done a uturn on the holo cascades and started purple versions instead which have a thread if you want a swatch ?

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I've only got mine parcelled up today and I'll get them in the post tomorrow.

IMG_20200323_155151.jpg

Last edited:

gwelsher

Reaction score
Very nice Richard :thumb:
Bottom row one on the right for me, I like those longer hackles.

wormo

Reaction score
Iain your flies arrived today and they are belters , what hooks are they I've been looking into getting some singles and they would do the trick

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Iain your flies arrived today and they are belters , what hooks are they I've been looking into getting some singles and they would do the trick

Thanks for the kind words. The hooks are the Kamasan B180 Low Water Singles.

wormo

Reaction score
that's everyone's flys in and I must say an impressive bunch at that also the extra flies that will go towards a LTC auction is nicely building up too , well done heres a pic before I post them off

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I've been involved in a right few swaps but the quality of those are outstanding!!! :eek:

Hopefully when we do get round to fishing, there should be a few updates to the "Swap Catches" thread from that lot!!! :D