March Fly Swap

wormo

Reaction score
As there is alot of nice flies going up at the moment what do you guys say to attempting a revival of the once popular fly swap?

From memory it's best capped at 10 members
im happy to organise themes if we get interest
same format as previous but if you are a new to the swaps
you are required

1 put yer name down , first come first served max 10 members
2 tie up 10 flies that match the theme , can be single, double , tube , waddie etc
3 post pics of said flees
4 post them to me and I'll divi them up and post back
simples 😉

The theme to get us started will be the well known and deadly CASCADE a fly everyone should have in their box
so many varieties too you could have original, gold, holographic, Aurora, or your original take on the fly the choice is yours as long as it resembles the original pattern
so who's in?
ps NO TREBLES please as mentioned some rivers dont allow them

participants so far
wormo
lamsonv10
jockiescott
Fergal1975
iainmortimer
carbisdale caster
gwelsher
billy fish
charlieH

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
FLYYYYY SWAAAAAAPPPPP!!!! :D :D :D

It would be great to see these up and going again! Count me in if nobody minds!

Good man Wormo! :thumb:

Fergal1975

Reaction score
so I would tie up 10 cascades, send them in, then get a mixture of 10 cascades sent back? Is that how it works?

Last edited:

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I'll give it a go. Can I add a suggestion. Maybe make it one extra fly which goes into a box to be auctioned at the end of the year for a charity of your choice?

carbisdale caster

Reaction score
Just a suggestion but maybe it'd be an idea to just tie them on singles, doubles, tubes and waddingtons as most places don't allow trebles any more. I used to take part in the swaps many moons ago but stopped as i'd often end up with a handful of flies that as lovely as they were I couldn't use due to being on trebles :)

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Just a suggestion but maybe it'd be an idea to just tie them on singles, doubles, tubes and waddingtons as most places don't allow trebles any more. I used to take part in the swaps many moons ago but stopped as i'd often end up with a handful of flies that as lovely as they were I couldn't use due to being on trebles :)
My fingertips certainly won't have a problem with that! :lol:

wormo

Reaction score
as I'm at the vice , this will be my offering
holo cascade #12 patriots

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

gwelsher

Reaction score
This will be my entry. I will be tying these on Partridge Code P doubles. If anybody wants a single let me know.

_Cascade Flamerhrower1.jpg

Last edited:

billy fish

Reaction score
FoM prototype

I’ll work on ten of these . It’s pretty similar to the one in Chris Mann’s book.

1EBF916E-3184-4CBE-BD5A-904AC3AE0BD2.jpeg

Colin.

Last edited:

charlieH

Reaction score
The contrarian streak in me means that I don't actually use Cascades, so I wasn't going to join this swap. But since there still seems to be a couple of places unfilled, I will come in if that's OK.

Are we going to follow Ian's suggestion of tying an extra fly for a charity box? And what is the closing date for flies to be received?

wormo

Reaction score
jump on board charlie yeah could do that and auction them off
that makes 9 participants each tying an extra top pop In for charity

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I kinda figured there'd be plenty of yellow and orange this month so I've decided to go a wee bit different and do a longtail in Wilkinson colours instead.

One I've had success on in the past with grilse especially. I hope no one minds! :redface:

IMG_20200214_131602.jpg

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Mine will be along the lines of this. Still playing a little bit but a low water version on a single #10

C1E77BEE-DC1E-47A9-9E00-A27F7BCAE7D7.jpeg

Last edited:

charlieH

Reaction score
IMG_0197.JPG

This will be my contribution. A Chartreuse Cascade, tied on a Size 8 Patriot.

Tag: Fluo Chartreuse floss
Tail: Orange and Chartreuse bucktail
Body: Peacock Mylar and black flatbraid
Rib: Oval silver
Wing: Black squirrel with one strand of Chartreuse Mirage on each side
Hackles: Chartreuse (I think it may be fluoro) and orange

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
last week in march will.be fine I think
I'll still be rushing to get them finished!!! :lol:

I go to the vice fully intending to tie swap flies. I then think of something I've seen on the forum and try a version of it instead. :doh:

I still only have one fly finished but have tailed, bodied and varnished another 7. If I even could get the tails and bodies finished but I'm more likely to try a version of gwelsher's cascade pigs than what I'm meant to be doing. Is it any wonder I never tried to sell flies!!! :lol:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I've done a few standard one's at the moment but like jockiescott I'll probably change my mind and do something different :doh: , I'll also send a few extra fly's to add into the charity box 👍🏻

View attachment DSC_0769.JPG

Last edited: