Maradona dead

rubberwellie

Reaction score
I do not think he could stand up to the current greats, ie, Messi and Renaldo, they are special players in are far more competitive game, both have shown incredible consistancy in an ever demanding scenario, he just snorted his way to oblivion!
You can’t even spell Ronaldo. The game has changed. Stick to watching the rugby

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own coun
Saw him live at Wembley in 1980, jaw-dropping good - saw Pele live as a kid at Hillsborough (🤢), never seen Messi live, but I think he’s the successor to Maradona.
Aha, glad to see you will step inside the Hallowed Place other than for the local derby! I remember seeing someone play like Pele in Hillsborough in the late 70s. Boxing Day it was... :D:):D:)

Just shows how p1ss poor the reporting is today when sky news makes up a tweet from someone who died 4 years ago and they dont know it.
What other sh1te are they telling us?
"New Modelling From Imperial College Confirms The 2nd Wave of Coronavirus Will Be MUCH WORSE Than The First...

Meanwhile, Government Confirm Emergency Powers Will Lapse in A Year Or Two"

happy days

Reaction score
Aha, glad to see you will step inside the Hallowed Place other than for the local derby! I remember seeing someone play like Pele in Hillsborough in the late 70s. Boxing Day it was... :D:):D:)

"New Modelling From Imperial College Confirms The 2nd Wave of Coronavirus Will Be MUCH WORSE Than The First...

Does anyone remember Tony Kay up there ?

Elibank

Reaction score
Aha, glad to see you will step inside the Hallowed Place other than for the local derby! I remember seeing someone play like Pele in Hillsborough in 2017, Bouncing Day it was... :D:):D:)
FIXED THAT FOR YOU!!

Last edited:

ballintemple

Reaction score
Almost all the Argentines I met, when I was down there fishing, preferred his hand of God goal, to the subsequent great one in the same match. He had something which connected with them all, rich and poor & it went beyond his amazing talent. The documentary by Asif kapadia is brilliant (as good as the one on Senna) & explains some of this.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Certainly one of the best players of all time.

With regards to the "hand of god" goal, what striker hasn't tried to score a goal with their hand at some point and claim it ?

The main fault was with the ref and linesman for not spotting it.

Sad to hear of his health and addiction problems after retiring, he is not alone in that.

D

Dunbar

Don’t follow football at all these days but saw him score against Scotland at Hampden in 1979. Great memory, even if Scotland got gubbed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happy days

Reaction score
Is that the Tony Kay who played for the Toffees until he was banned?
Yes interesting story made into a film called the fix he was jailed and banned sine die
I was too young to see him play but older evertonians say he was a great player always gets a warm welcome off the crowd, he was signed from the owls for a record fee of 60k in the day but was alleged to have thrown a match when playing for Wednesday.

larry_grayson

Reaction score
Yes interesting story made into a film called the fix he was jailed and banned sine die
I was too young to see him play but older evertonians say he was a great player always gets a warm welcome off the crowd, he was signed from the owls for a record fee of 60k in the day but was alleged to have thrown a match when playing for Wednesday.
A match???
He and two others, Swan and Layne, were throwing games under instruction from a bookie.

Wee Porters

Reaction score
A great player for sure, the best ever, not sure about that one . The infamous "hand of god" goal always a bad mark from England fans, but the footage of his 2nd in that game begs a question, did he actually score, or did the defender, run it through a few times in slow motion, frame by frame, still not sure?
Am guessing you're at the wind up, ma een aren't the best but I could clearly see who scored.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Am guessing you're at the wind up, ma een aren't the best but I could clearly see who scored.
No wind up, I just could not see the last touch clearly, it may well have been Maradona,s left foot, maybe assisted by the defender coming through the back of his foot, but amazing run to get to that point regardless.

Wee Porters

Reaction score
No wind up, I just could not see the last touch clearly, it may well have been Maradona,s left foot, maybe assisted by the defender coming through the back of his foot, but amazing run to get to that point regardless.

Watched a programme about it tonight with some of the England players in it, Lineker, Butcher, Shilton, Hoddle and Samson.
That goal was shown a few times, Butcher was talking about how he wished he'd managed to get a touch on the ball but didn't,
he said it would've been the greatest own goal of all time:D:D

rubberwellie

Reaction score
He was banned for 15 months for failing a drugs test. If he was a sprinter or a cyclist he would be a pariah. I'm interested why that's ok for a footballer.
Nobody is saying Maradona wasn’t flawed or that it’s ok to fail a drugs test but he was banned for taking cocaine not for taking performance enhancing drugs.

Unlike sprinters or cyclists he wasn’t using to gain an advantage over his opponents and it’s an important distinction to make when questioning his greatness as a player.

If being objective it’s not a difficult distinction to follow. Doesn’t mean you have to agree of course.

tealblue

Reaction score
Yes it seems two are now dead and the other is in intensive care. Its a mad world after all.

Flappy

Reaction score
Nobody is saying Maradona wasn’t flawed or that it’s ok to fail a drugs test but he was banned for taking cocaine not for taking performance enhancing drugs.
Unlike sprinters or cyclists he wasn’t using to gain an advantage over his opponents and it’s an important distinction to make when questioning his greatness as a player.

If being objective it’s not a difficult distinction to follow. Doesn’t mean you have to agree of course.
If you have ever taken cocaine in the bedroom if you know what I mean...it is certainly performance enhancing..

lefthandup

Reaction score
He was banned for 15 months for failing a drugs test. If he was a sprinter or a cyclist he would be a pariah. I'm interested why that's ok for a footballer.
I never said it was ok....
Have you ever did anything wrong in your lifetime...?
Are you so up your own arse that you are a model human being !
That's what you're sounding like.

I'd rather look at his talent....some people in life take the wrong turn...some come out the other side a better person and some just can't.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Some people make the mistake of asking people like Maradona, Best, Gascoigne, Beckham, Rooney etc to be role models. Astronomically Build them up only to throw them aside the moment they realise they are what we all are, flawed and imperfect humans.

All top level sports has people or teams who either cheat to keep ahead or on some cases just stay competitive and it's covered up at every level there is to keep the machine rolling.

If we're pointing to high paid sports stars as role models for our children then it's us that's flawed as well as them. I'd never point to a football player, Marcus Rashford aside, as a role model.

Maradona was a footballer and an entertainer..he loved to dance on the pitch with a ball.. he was simply majestic. I'd rather remember that than any thing else tbh.