Malham Tarn bummer thread

Andrew B

Reaction score
If there’s one place I’ve always wanted to fish it would have to be Malham Tarn.
A shallow limestone lake that’s supposed to be unique and has a low stock of large pristine brown trout where two anglers could share a boat for the day for not too much money.
Having picked up my latest T&S then I was fairly surprised and bummed out to read that this place could be closing it’s doors to anglers certainly for the foreseeable future.
Reason given is due to Covid and there not being anyone to staff the field centre and also the potential environmental damage anglers could be doing as the reason for closing.
Can’t say I understand the environment reason, given Angling is from a boat and was very underfished anyway but there you go.

Has any forum members ever fished Malham Tarn

ACW

Reaction score
Yes
its a magic place ,do send objectios to the adress in T&S .
I have done so already as i want to return !

Andrew B

Reaction score
Yes
its a magic place ,do send objectios to the adress in T&S .
I have done so already as i want to return !
Oh ok didn’t realise there was an objection bit. I’ll be sure to do that as the environmental thing mentioned is quite ridiculous when the banks have been allowed to have been worn down by walkers.
I always thought of that place as something good as opposed to overcharged places

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Fished it a couple of times, lovely place but not easy fishing. One issue is that boats have to be back in by 5 or 6 pm so the best evening time is not available to anglers.

Hope it does re-open, feels like Covid could be the thin end of the wedge to stop fishing there ?

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
BTW, I walk past the Tarn quite a bit on a nice circular from Malham village. There are always lots of people, dogs etc around so the idea that a few anglers in boats would have any significant effect on the environment/biodiversity is nonesense.

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Ref administration, what about online booking ? Keys to the boat houses stored in a safe box, you get the code when you book, if necessary change the code on a regular basis. No need for any face to face contact.