Macmartin Salmon 11' Spin Bait

arnie1808

Reaction score
Just aquired one of these its a 2 piece 11ft and was just wondering how good this rod is really?

I usually fish the Welsh Dee, Severn plus later on ill be fishing theRiver Esk & Irt (Lake District) and was wondering how it would cope any info would be great.

redshrimp

Reaction score
Just aquired one of these its a 2 piece 11ft and was just wondering how good this rod is really?

I usually fish the Welsh Dee, Severn plus later on ill be fishing theRiver Esk & Irt (Lake District) and was wondering how it would cope any info would be great.

Not good. i,ll relieve you of it. Seriously a brilliant rod. I,ve had one since they came out and i,ts coped with everything I,ve asked of it.

Barrarex

Reaction score
Makes the option of spinning, when the river is huge, almost enjoyable! A great rod.

arnie1808

Reaction score
Not good. i,ll relieve you of it. Seriously a brilliant rod. I,ve had one since they came out and i,ts coped with everything I,ve asked of it.
Lol you had me for a minute there I thought oh crap iv been an idiot :eek:
Thanx for your oppinion looking forward to the 16th even more now :)

One more qusetion, I might be having a day or two on the South Tyne later on in the year and from what I heard down the grapevine a couple of blokes from the club im in went there and hooked a lot of fish had a few but lost a good few and they had thier hooks bent by big fish!

I did get one of these just incase -

Got the 13ft version because ill be mostly worming but im a bit unsure to spin with the Mac or do you think I would be ok?

Last edited:

Mr Fishin

Reaction score
I have 4 of the 11' and a 12' mac. 12' is for big water worming and the 11'ers are for everything else. They will handle anything you can throw at them and still come back for more.

Paul Dorrian

Reaction score
I have an 11ft 3 piece and it's excellent compared to anything else, only thing is a little soft for really big rivers ie lower tay but most others it's perfect

arnie1808

Reaction score
Yeah when I felt it I thought it felt like a cracking rod but as you say a little light for big rivers thats why I bought the Daiwa Exceler but I don't seem to be able to find out much about it :confused:. The closest I can find to it is the Whisker which is the only other 13 foot bait/spin which has the same casting weight but not sure if its a similar blank or not?

edenman

Reaction score
I have got 3 piece mcmartin nice rod, but i love my 11ft 2lbs test curve north western.

Aled

Reaction score
Yep I've got one, and I'm very pleased with it. It does not like upstream mepps much but other than that its good, excellent worm rod.
Tight Lines
Aled

Last edited:

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
Funny you should ask about MacMartin equiptment I met him once an a fishery open day and he brough his Salmon Fight invention along, basically a rod and reel linked to a contraption that pulled line back under varying strains and pulls. The first and only time I've played a 40lber. I progerssed to 50lber but called it a day after that, arms were killing...

Last edited:

sewinfly

Reaction score
I have 2 x 11ft 2 piece rods but the one has a split from the ferrule on the bottom section :(
can't seem to get it repaired as the rod is in fantastic condition.

Sewinfly...............

Dalesman

Reaction score
There a shop in Darlington called Sweeney Todds, Tel 01325 480209.

He had at least 24 original mac martin in various lengths, all brand new.

The shop is a bit of Aladdin's cave mainly second hand gear but has gems in from time to time. I think he is only open a couple a week, Saturday being one. He will post them off to you.

The Greys version is not a patch on the original, If want a Greys rod, Gilslan sport in Leyburn North Yorkshire had a couple.

Reaction score
There a shop in Darlington called Sweeney Todds, Tel 01325 480209.

He had at least 24 original mac martin in various lengths, all brand new.

The shop is a bit of Aladdin's cave mainly second hand gear but has gems in from time to time. I think he is only open a couple a week, Saturday being one. He will post them off to you.

The Greys version is not a patch on the original, If want a Greys rod, Gilslan sport in Leyburn North Yorkshire had a couple.
Are these not the new Mac Martins?
There are 2 new ranges available now as far as I know. A cheaper range made in the Far East and the better hand built range.

Dalesman

Reaction score
Are these not the new Mac Martins?
There are 2 new ranges available now as far as I know. A cheaper range made in the Far East and the better hand built range.
They are the original rods, I spoke to him last year about them and said he picked them up in a bankruptcy sale a couple years and he sells one or two a year.

simon grace

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen the old Macmartin Video..?
It's like watching an episode of Balamory with Miss Hoolie teaching the kids how to set up a fishing rod..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction score
They are the original rods, I spoke to him last year about them and said he picked them up in a bankruptcy sale a couple years and he sells one or two a year.
I might have to take a look at them in that case. Quite sort after rods around my part of the world!

Has anyone ever seen the old Macmartin Video..?
It's like watching an episode of Balamory with Miss Hoolie teaching the kids how to set up a fishing rod..:rolleyes::rolleyes:
No but I can only imagine. The man is quite an odd character. Just lives over the road from the old man.

darylt66

Reaction score
Interesting post. I bought a 9' and 10' spin bait special from Swenney todds about 18 months ago - still haven't used them. If memory serves me right:confused: I think Dalesman put me on to him for these rods. Can anyone tell me if they are the original macmartin? Will try to add some photos.

Attachments

Last edited:

liphook

Reaction score
The original MM blanks came from the far east. No difference between the originals and the 1st set of Greys