Mackenzie G2 10ft single hander

rubberwellie

Reaction score
Mackenzie G2 10ft single hander or alternative

I'm in the market for a new trout rod, something for the rainbows and spate river salmon & sea trout so prob looking at 9"6 or 10 ft 7 weight. I kind of grudge paying £600 plus for a trout rod so the hardy sintrix and loop cross s1 are out. I'm considering a Mackenzie 10 footer but haven't used one or even seen one before, can anybody offer an opinion on its merits?

The trout lines I currently use are a Rio Gold 7 weight floater and a Cortland 444 7 weight intermediate.

I'd also be interested in hearing about any good alternatives.

Last edited:

rs2ford

Reaction score
Been using a Sage 10ft 7wt XP for years and it's hard to beat, but about 6 months ago I bought an Orvis Helios (original model) and it's every bit as good, if not better!

Cheers Diarmid.

Toasted heretic

Reaction score
The new Daiwa rods are real descent, lexa I think they are called, had a cast of the 7# was as good a sh as I have cast similar to an xp only nicer and was less than £250.

rubberwellie

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback chaps!

Nobody got any experience of the Mackenzie?

I read good things about the Daiwa Lexa, that was the other rod I had considered. Apparently it won best in test in T&S (I think) and it is quite reasonably priced in comparison to the competition.

Strathglass

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback chaps!

Nobody got any experience of the Mackenzie?

I read good things about the Daiwa Lexa, that was the other rod I had considered. Apparently it won best in test in T&S (I think) and it is quite reasonably priced in comparison to the competition.

A colleague of mine has the 10fter Sean and I think he really rates it, he also has a sage one which I think is usually first pick. Unfortunately he is on leave just now so I can't get any more info at moment for you...why not contact Andy Toft to try and get a wee shot of one up before you buy?

Rennie

Reaction score
A while back I was after a quality single hander in the all-round 10ft vein.I dropped on a Sage 10ft no.7 SP blank for not very much at all.I got the Sage fittings,whipping thread and epoxy finishes from Lathkill tackle and built it up myself.Never thought I'd have a rod that cost almost £600 for significantly less and its a super bit of kit.I do know that the Sage One rods are available as blanks,I can vouch for the feeling of owning a megga bucks rod with your own personal finishing touch.Special indeed.Pedro.

rubberwellie

Reaction score
A colleague of mine has the 10fter Sean and I think he really rates it, he also has a sage one which I think is usually first pick. Unfortunately he is on leave just now so I can't get any more info at moment for you...why not contact Andy Toft to try and get a wee shot of one up before you buy?

I hadn't thought of that Neill, I'll give him a bell. Cheers!

A while back I was after a quality single hander in the all-round 10ft vein.I dropped on a Sage 10ft no.7 SP blank for not very much at all.I got the Sage fittings,whipping thread and epoxy finishes from Lathkill tackle and built it up myself.Never thought I'd have a rod that cost almost £600 for significantly less and its a super bit of kit.I do know that the Sage One rods are available as blanks,I can vouch for the feeling of owning a megga bucks rod with your own personal finishing touch.Special indeed.Pedro.

There is logic and a certain appeal to that approach Pedro but I'm looking to pick something up quite quickly and I don't have the time on my hands at the moment to dedicate to building my own rod. A project for the future though maybe.

Reaction score
Hi, I have the mackenzie 10 ft g2, and a zaxis 10ft both 7wt. both rods are first class.. I use a Rio I line 7wt with the zaxis and it works perfectly, but not on the mackenzie you have to go up to a 8wt, I really like the mackenzie and have the switch g2, and the 13ft rods and have to use a line weight higher than what it says on the rod.
Regards patrick

rubberwellie

Reaction score
Hi Patrick, thanks for the offer but the Nairns a wee bit far for me to travel to try out a trout rod, cheers though much appreciated.

You're actually the second person that's said you need an 8 weight to load the Mackenzie so I'm thinking of giving it a miss and getting a true 7 weight. An 8 is just a wee bit heavy for my needs so its back to the drawing board… :rolleyes::D

yellow owl

Reaction score
Rod

Hi Patrick, thanks for the offer but the Nairns a wee bit far for me to travel to try out a trout rod, cheers though much appreciated.

You're actually the second person that's said you need an 8 weight to load the Mackenzie so I'm thinking of giving it a miss and getting a true 7 weight. An 8 is just a wee bit heavy for my needs so its back to the drawing board… :rolleyes::D

Tried a g2 trout rod in the hand felt different to the sage

ibm59

Reaction score
Is number of sections of importance ?

I have a Loomis GLX 10' #7 2 piece in decent nick. Loads properly with #7 lines.
Pm me if you're interested.

Just checked.

For " decent " , read excellent.;)

Last edited:

rubberwellie

Reaction score
Is number of sections of importance ?

I have a Loomis GLX 10' #7 2 piece in decent nick. Loads properly with #7 lines.
Pm me if you're interested.

Just checked.

For " decent " , read excellent.;)

Im after a 3 or 4 piece but again thanks for the offer!