Mackenzie DTX Owners

the ditch

Reaction score
Just wondering, I have a choice of 14 or the 15 foot DTX now it is not the G2 version as a back up rod, as the rivers I fish they average around 30-45 yards wide, I have gathered some lines that are 10/11 such as Rio S/H, Carron 55ft head, and a Mackenzie S/H that would suit the 15ft DTX. I would like to hear people views on the above rods.

longchuck

Reaction score
Both rods are crackers.
If you have the lines for the 15ft rod ,its a no brainer.
Save yourself some dosh the 15ft will do

Last edited:

Pollowick

Reaction score
Got myself a new 15' DTX recently and when trying it out found it was totally natural for me. Cannot wait to use it for all of next week.

j.mac

Reaction score
Both the 14 and 15 are great rods I personally prefer the 14 though and found it could do the same as the 15.
But as Longchuck says if you have the 10/11 lines its a no brainer unless you want to buy more lines.

rs2ford

Reaction score
I had the 14ft and 15ft DTX but sold them and bought the G2, if i had the dosh i would have kept them all:)..great rods. The 14ft G2 is superb:cool:
If anyone has a mint original 14ft DTX they want to swap for a mint 14ft Hardy Marksman 2T then give me a pm.

Cheers Diarmid.

the ditch

Reaction score
RS2ford just a matter of interest what line were you using on the 14ft DTX?. A fellow forum member as offered me a 9/10 Rio AFS and running line free if I get the 14ft, so I am swaying more towards the 14ft and the summer we had I could do with reducing the rod length anyway, and another plus if I buy the 14ft then I would have the money to buy an extra line maybe the Guideline triple d 9/10 head, as that is the difference between the two at the moment.

Gary Mclellan

Reaction score
The 14ft is a good bit lighter than the 15... nicer action i think,
Works really well with spey lines, shooting heads and skagits not a problem.
I use carron spey lines on my dtx's, but have also tried hardy machs and they work well also.

On the 14 ft.......the 9/10 afs is perfect .. as is the 38/40g mackenzie heads but it will cast the 42g no probs also.

The guideline triple d f/h/i 9/10 uncut is what i use mostly on my 14dtx.
Excellent set up.

Gary.

Scanny

Reaction score
14ft Original....Awesome tool.

Casts anything from 34g shooting heads up to dirty skagits and real 65' lines.

By far the most capable rod I use, and the favourite

rs2ford

Reaction score
RS2ford just a matter of interest what line were you using on the 14ft DTX?. A fellow forum member as offered me a 9/10 Rio AFS and running line free if I get the 14ft, so I am swaying more towards the 14ft and the summer we had I could do with reducing the rod length anyway, and another plus if I buy the 14ft then I would have the money to buy an extra line maybe the Guideline triple d 9/10 head, as that is the difference between the two at the moment.

Rio AFS is great on it, especially the Hover/S1 line. I love the new Mackenzie multi tip shooting head line on it as it turns over better in the wind than the AFS, and also love the original DTX 9/10 Multi tip 58ft head spey line:cool:.
Cheers Diarmid.

the ditch

Reaction score
I settled on the original DTX 14, went out for a cast yesterday on a local lake where we go off season to dust of the cob webs for practice. The only line I had was AFS shooting head 9/10, oh my god is all I can say I would not be a good caster by any shape or form, I tell ye this I can chuck that line with ease with this rod so salmon beware I know now that I can reach the other bank with ease. I cant wait to have a go with the Guideline Triple Density which I will have during the week. So one happy camper thanks to all for there advice :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

the gap

Reaction score
Call up during the week I have 15 ft both dtx shooting head and 15 ft perflex back up rod .we can have a cast of both if you like . I used a 13 ft airflow rod this year but when will we get low water like that again. In my opinion the lower Suir is a 15 ft rod beat .14ft ill be picking up fish after you next season lol

bankwheel

Reaction score
How would people on here compare the DTX to the shooting head model, I'm trying the 14 shooting head model just now and really like it, would you say the the DTX or G2 was better?

Scanny

Reaction score
14' shooting head rod is significantly different, the original and G2 are nicer to fish all day.

The 15' G2 is a beauty to fish with heads or full lines

rs2ford

Reaction score
How would people on here compare the DTX to the shooting head model, I'm trying the 14 shooting head model just now and really like it, would you say the the DTX or G2 was better?

I have the 14ft G2 and 14ft original DTX. The original can handle a wider range of lines in both Spey and Shooting Heads. I prefer the original DTX 58ft head Spey lines on both rods, compared to the G2 56ft head Spey line. The new G2 Multi tip shooting head feels a touch heavy on the G2 rod but perfect on the original DTX. Both handle an AFS very well. Two excellent rods and not much between them. Never tried the Shooting Head rods purely because i prefer the flex in the Spey rods and they can do both Spey and Heads no problem.

Cheers Diarmid.

Last edited:

bankwheel

Reaction score
The shooting head rod also casts Spey lines and shooting heads with ease, I'm just wondering what the difference is apart from the obvious

Scanny

Reaction score
The shooting head rod also casts Spey lines and shooting heads with ease, I'm just wondering what the difference is apart from the obvious

Stiffness, generally they are faster and less forgiving

I had most of them, and got rid of most of them in favour of the originals

the ditch

Reaction score
I have spent most of the closed season so far practicing on a local lake. I must say that I am starting to really enjoy casting with the 14ft DTX.
I was using Mackenzie DTX Floating 42g S/H with Airflow Ridge Running line on a Demon 9000. Had this line a few months and always taught it was a 10/11 until I read a few informative posts.
As a novice caster I felt at first when I put up this line it was a bit heavy. After few minutes casting it was a dream to use it just flew out and felt it was a much better line than the Rio 9/10. Any of you lads feel the same?
I know the Guideline 3D in meant to be unreal on the rod so ill have to watch out for a second hand one in the classifieds section.

GARZA

Reaction score
I have the 15 ft dtx which I am selling for £200 + pp if your interested, I have no need for it, now that I have a zenith and a loop cross. I have only used the 15 ft version so can't comment on the other but it is a cracker.

Sorry do you have this rod for sale yet?

Tim1984

Reaction score
Warranty?

What sort of warranty do you get with Mackenzie rods? If you brake a tip section etc?

P!scator

Reaction score
What sort of warranty do you get with Mackenzie rods? If you brake a tip section etc?

None if you broke it! That's an insurance claim. Get in touch with Scott he might be able to help with a replacement tip depending on what rod you broke