MacKenzie Dtx 13' #8

Scanny

Reaction score
I took delivery of mine yesterday, and had an afternoon with Scott, Ian and Andrew with the full range. The term weapon was used a lot :)

It works very well with:
Scotts Dtx 8/9 50' Spey
Carron Jetstream 9/10 Single and Twin colours- pulled in (50-55' at the tip)

The usual suspects when it comes to shooting heads:
8/9 Afs
8/9 or cut back 9/10 Guideline Power Tapers

Update...

The 8/9 G2 Shooting head goes well, it covers a lot of water with the head on, soo much so i didn't bother fishing the 15' Dtx on the spey last month.

The 8/9 51' G2 Spey line is about as delicate as you will get for summer work.

Last edited:

Chris-D

Reaction score
Any updates with lines for this rod?
I’m looking to match it up with short Spey lines, not interested in shooting heads or skagits for it. Looking a new floater, sink tip and intermediate, thinking about 1d’s, Mach 55’s or carron 55 lines, although they can be hard picked up these days most are discontinued, what line weights suit this rod and any suggestions?
Cheers

rs2ford

Reaction score
The best spey lines I have used on this rod were the Mackenzie 8/9 50/51ft head or the Gaelforce 8/9 54ft head.
Cheers Diarmid.

lineman

Reaction score
The best spey lines I have used on this rod were the Mackenzie 8/9 50/51ft head or the Gaelforce 8/9 54ft head.
Cheers Diarmid.

Hi Diarmid,

I have only used shooting heads so far on my NRX, found it best with the 38g as springer suggested and half an hour with Minitube with the Ballistic you sent me that too being 38g. I was wondering regarding the above weight of the Gealforce (grams) Scott is saying the rod produces best with a 38g line. as the Gealforce 8/9 is only 34g the 9/10 beeing 38g.

As I have just purchased the 13' G2 would I be doing myself a disservice buying the gealforce 8/9 @ 34g? and if not would it also be suitable for my NRX?:help:

rs2ford

Reaction score
Hi Diarmid,

I have only used shooting heads so far on my NRX, found it best with the 38g as springer suggested and half an hour with Minitube with the Ballistic you sent me that too being 38g. I was wondering regarding the above weight of the Gealforce (grams) Scott is saying the rod produces best with a 38g line. as the Gealforce 8/9 is only 34g the 9/10 beeing 38g.

As I have just purchased the 13' G2 would I be doing myself a disservice buying the gealforce 8/9 @ 34g? and if not would it also be suitable for my NRX?:help:
Hi Derek,
The Gaelforce 34g is labelled as a 9wt and Scott's 38g labelled as an 8/9. Scott's 8/9 heads are good on it also but a touch heavy for my liking, but the Gaelforce feels spot on.
I have never used the NRX so can't comment on it.
Cheers Diarmid.

Chris-D

Reaction score
Cheers diarmid
Does the gaelforce and Mackenzie lines just come in floater, can’t see any other densities?

rs2ford

Reaction score
Cheers diarmid
Does the gaelforce and Mackenzie lines just come in floater, can’t see any other densities?
Yes Chris, the Spey lines are floating only but they both handle 10ft tips in any densities no bother. The shooting heads are in a variety of densities.
Cheers Diarmid.

Last edited: